ktmoomau

Minute Matters That Are Annoying

During this time home, there are some really minor things I have decided are quite annoying.  And I felt a need to create a space to state absolutely unimportant annoying matters.

1) Why don't all workout pants for women have pockets big enough to fit a phone?  Is this so hard, challenging?  Why are we denied the right to pockets?  Are there ANY men's work out pants that do not have pockets?  (I would like to know that men suffer this inconvenience, as well.  I suspect they don't. But it would make me feel better if they did.) 

• Like 2

My Lululemon yoga pants have pockets.  But so do women’s Lululemon yoga pants.  My nike running shorts also have pockets.  Some times I just work out in my boxer shrrts at home, they don’t have pockets.  hope that made you feel better.

22 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

During this time home, there are some really minor things I have decided are quite annoying.  And I felt a need to create a space to state absolutely unimportant annoying matters.

1) Why don't all workout pants for women have pockets big enough to fit a phone?  Is this so hard, challenging?  Why are we denied the right to pockets?  Are there ANY men's work out pants that do not have pockets?  (I would like to know that men suffer this inconvenience, as well.  I suspect they don't. But it would make me feel better if they did.) 

Yes - some men's workout pants (although more shorts than pants) do lack pockets.  Or the have a tiny zipper thing that might hold one key if you took it off the key ring.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

But so do women’s Lululemon yoga pants.  

They may have a small little thing big enough to hold a key or a card, but not a phone... except one pair I own.

What about a cell phone armband?  I find that even when big enough, pants pockets never work well while doing physical work.  The phone can slide out, potentially get damaged, or just be hard to hear/use.  

22 minutes ago, astrid said:

What about a cell phone armband?  I find that even when big enough, pants pockets never work well while doing physical work.  The phone can slide out, potentially get damaged, or just be hard to hear/use.  

Really it just annoys me, because being home all day during this thing- I have mainly worn workout pants, because I am trying to keep myself in washable stuff.  I just want to be able to take my cell phone up and down with me in my pocket throughout my townhouse.  Some women's yoga pants, have pockets on the side of the leg, but trying to find those solely, is difficult, and neither Athleta or Lululemon really have that many with those.  I am not sure why, it seems a bit silly, as it is really good design for the ones that have it. 

I wear pajamas pants around the house and they typically have generous pockets, but phones and wallets have a tendency to slide out during movement.  Have you considered a vest?  They're quite nice for carrying odds and ends, and provide extra bit of warmth without much constriction.

https://www.exofficio.com/womens-sol-cool-flyq-vest/2076-3155.html?dwvar_2076-3155_color=9999&dwvar_2076-3155_size=000006M&cgid=#q=cool flyq vest&start=1

I snagged a couple of these from Costco for $20 each.  They're great for travel and running around town too.

• Thanks 1

That is a great idea!  But still pants just should have pockets... Today I am wearing guys shorts, and they have pockets :)  My fashion quickly devolves when it's just me and Hubby. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why don't people wave "thank you" when I let them in front of me while driving (which I *always* do)?

Answer this one correctly, and you've decoded the human condition.

• Like 2

Because around here (DC/MD/VA) they are going to cut you off anyway, whether you let them in or not, so why should they wave "thank you" - they own the road 😉

I, too let people in all the time, and maybe 15% of the time get a "thank you" wave. I rarely use my horn unless someone clearly doesn't see me - since that is a 100% guaranteed 🖕 - If I ever get honked at, I always respond with the "thank you" wave.

I will readily let people in when they signal and attempt to merge reasonably.

If it's obvious that they've zoomed past a long line of cars and tried to cut in at the front, I am hugging the left side of the lane like a motherf*cker. Merge in behind me, jackass.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 9:49 AM, DanielK said:

If it's obvious that they've zoomed past a long line of cars and tried to cut in at the front, I am hugging the left side of the lane like a motherf*cker. Merge in behind me, jackass.

Those people are super annoying but they do manage to cut in line....👿

In the UK, where 10-30 mile accident and road work tailbacks are not as rare as you would hope, truckers will often take control and block all lanes so that they all progress at the same rate. 

5 hours ago, DanielK said:

So much this. This is the only scenario in which I really get aggressive while driving.

16 hours ago, dracisk said:

So much this. This is the only scenario in which I really get aggressive while driving.

This is the Beltway, every day.  When I drive to work, my return includes a left entrance followed 1.5 miles later by a right exit.  In standstill traffic, every day. 90% of Beltway drivers will aggressively accelerate to prevent you from merging to the right, which i have to do six times.

That sounds nightmarish.

I was talking about when there’s a long line of people waiting and rather than wait someone zooms right up to the last possible merge point and tries to nudge into the line. There’s no way I’ll let that person in. Otherwise I’m happy to let people merge.

• Like 1

I grew up in Maryland, I consider myself a Marylander, despite living in Virginia.  I will say, I find Virginians not great in any sense of the word but WAY better than Marylanders at the alternate merge- so that both lanes can proceed to the appropriate point and merge.  But there are always jerks who try to get through.  An alternate merge is so much more efficient for all... 

3 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

I grew up in Maryland, I consider myself a Marylander, despite living in Virginia.  I will say, I find Virginians not great in any sense of the word but WAY better than Marylanders at the alternate merge- so that both lanes can proceed to the appropriate point and merge.  But there are always jerks who try to get through.  An alternate merge is so much more efficient for all... 

What I hate about Virginia driving is the lack of merge areas!! Omg I find them so dangerous and some don't even have signs. (I'm thinking of certain places on the GW Parkway.) I've definitely encountered this in DC and Maryland, too, but it seems to be much more prevalent in Virginia.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dracisk said:

What I hate about Virginia driving is the lack of merge areas!! Omg I find them so dangerous and some don't even have signs. (I'm thinking of certain places on the GW Parkway.) I've definitely encountered this in DC and Maryland, too, but it seems to be much more prevalent in Virginia.

Well the GW parkway is a terrible design for an actual road, it is though, a very pretty drive.  The National Parks have not been the best at designing roads that are safe and easy to drive.

12 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

Well the GW parkway is a terrible design for an actual road, it is though, a very pretty drive.  The National Parks have not been the best at designing roads that are safe and easy to drive.

I did read last week that they're working on a plan to change these horrible blind merges (some on the left) with no merge area.  It's a wonder there aren't more accidents on that parkway.

I can't imagine how tourists navigate the GW Parkway from National Airport to (across the river from) Georgetown.  It's much easier now with GPS/Waze, but a few years back it must have been awful if you were trying to get to Arlington Cemetery or to the Lincoln Memorial or anywhere along that stretch.  I've lived here 30 years and even with help from my phone, I have to pay maximum attention when I'm driving that stretch.  Going north seems worse than going south. 

As a first time visitor to this area with a good old paper map, it must have been rough, with a lot of wrong turns and a lot of backtracking involved.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bart said:

I can't imagine how tourists navigate the GW Parkway from National Airport to (across the river from) Georgetown.  It's much easier now with GPS/Waze, but a few years back it must have been awful if you were trying to get to Arlington Cemetery or to the Lincoln Memorial or anywhere along that stretch.  I've lived here 30 years and even with help from my phone, I have to pay maximum attention when I'm driving that stretch.  Going north seems worse than going south. 

As a first time visitor to this area with a good old paper map, it must have been rough, with a lot of wrong turns and a lot of backtracking involved.

That and taking Rock Creek Parkway.  If you need signs, you don't belong here seemed to be the mantra.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zgast said:

Rock Creek Parkway

After 20+ years of living here I'm still terrified that I'm going to get on Rock Creek Parkway in the wrong direction during one of the times it's only one way.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bart said:

My Mom just used to refuse to drive in Northern Virginia and DC.  I remember being 16, and my Mom making me drive through DC because she was freaking out.  GPS is amazing. 

On 3/23/2020 at 9:49 AM, DanielK said:

On 3/23/2020 at 10:22 AM, Ericandblueboy said:

Those people are super annoying but they do manage to cut in line....👿

The Zipper Technique of merging is actually more efficient, at least in terms of "length of the line." If I've waited, and someone zippers *in a proper lane*, and signals, I'll go with that plan, but if someone zooms down the shoulder? They're staying on the shoulder, at least while I'm next to them.

A more nebulous situation occurs when the zippering happens in what is supposed to be a through lane. It's frustrating thinking you're in a traffic jam, when the cars in front of you are merely stopped, waiting to perform a last-second merge into an exit lane. I've been in that through lane many times, and I usually (not always, but usually) just bite the bullet and keep going forward - I figure out an alternate route, which usually takes only a couple of minutes.

On 3/24/2020 at 7:33 AM, zgast said:

This is the Beltway, every day.  When I drive to work, my return includes a left entrance followed 1.5 miles later by a right exit.  In standstill traffic, every day. 90% of Beltway drivers will aggressively accelerate to prevent you from merging to the right, which i have to do six times.

You know, the day that people stop doing this, the world is all-of-a-sudden a much better place to live - for everyone.

On 3/24/2020 at 3:00 PM, dracisk said:

I-395 southbound near the Pentagon is a death trip if you start out in the right lane - there are 2-3 exit-only lanes in a very short distance, forcing you to merge left into heavy (sometimes speeding) traffic more than once. Even getting onto I-395 southbound from the 9th Street Tunnel can be a tough assignment.

• Like 1