Breakfast - The Early-Morning, Polyphonic Food Blog

txaggie

Damn Fine Anson Mills Quick-Cook Grits (outrageously loud "THANK YOU" to leleboo for this gift from her recent travels!)

Damn I Laced Them Eggs (sunny side up, but cooked just a few degrees too high hence the slight lacing)

Damn Fresh Farm Share Tomatoes, Basil, Seasonings (all from this week's CSA, props to a friend for doing the pickup)

Damn I Forgot Coffee (cannot recall which Counter Culture beans, brewed with cinnamon, heated & foamed goat milk)

Damn it's nice to be home for 24 hours in between cross-county travels.

Handbasket, Hell. Population: My Photography Skills. A visitor mucked with my camera settings a few weeks ago and it's been h8ful ever since.

post-5654-127929171534_thumb.jpg

Home again home again, eggity-egg

Two JJ farm eggs, Cook's Illustrated fried egg method, seasoned with Savory's Spanish Roasted Black Olive Sea Salt

Two Morningstar farms breakfast patties

One Dr. Praeger's sweet potato pancake

My Organic Market's house blend (Ethiopian light roast), ground with Savory's Vietnamese Saigon Cassia Chips

I love those Morningstar breakfast patties. Non-meat-meat. It's both delicious and confusing.

For breakfast #1 today (I need feedings every couple of hours), I threw together a pretty darn tasty smoothie - vanilla Greek yogurt, frozen blackberries and blueberries, a banana, some agave nectar, and a little OJ to thin it out a bit. Yum! Just sweet enough.

Yikes, that looks like something my mother used in the 60s. Boiled coffee! (Oh, excuse me, I meant, 'percolated')

It is something my mother used in the 60s! :( But you know what? That cup of coffee was really, really good. Better than anything that I've brewed in this in a long time:

post-554-035498500 1281968357_thumb.jpg

French toast made with homemade brioche. mmm, eggy...

absolutely the best for bread pudding, too--especially homemade.

I had something yummy for breakfast today-- an egg, pan-baked in a nest of piperade (which was actually leftover last night's slow-cooked roasted peppers and onion with thinly sliced Eco-Friendly hot Italian sausage that I'd cooked on charcoal the night before), with a piece of fresh seeded rye toast.

What Mr. MV and I usually do on a market morning. We have a healthy start with yogurt, fruit, nuts and honey (and coffee), then we feel free to have an excuse to buy a really decadent treat!

Today, we shared a sticky bun from Panorama Bakery (14th St) and also "donut holes" from Del Ray. Well, there's still 2 or 3 holes left. That'll be for tonight or tomorrow.

I've made two really yummy breakfasts this week worthy of report on dr.com:

To celebrate the New Year, I made Challah French Toast with sauteed apples. I added a bit of flour to the egg/milk/vanilla mixture and it added a nice bit of crispness.

As I failed to eat dinner last night, I greeted the morning with sweet potato hash and a fried egg. Butter makes everything better. :(:)

An oustandingly hearty and flavorful brunch enjoyed al fresco on a beauteous hint-of-fall morning.

Sauteed farm share bell peppers, onion, and some variety of hot pepper mixed into the Jehovah-Jireh farm eggs with chive and peppercorn yogurt cheese. Topping includes re-fried pinto beans (Amy's brand), pickled jalapeno (also from a can, gasp! but perfect), chopped some-kind-of-hint-of-heat pepper from the farm share (the diversity of peppers is astounding in this year's share), and an obscenely ripe avocado, all with a splash of yuzu rice vinegar to perk up the acid. Instead of plain sea salt, used Penzey's 4S throughout for a more interesting, smoky flavor.

(do re-fried beans ever look appetizing?)

(ugly)

(but tasty)

post-5654-014437900 1284824561_thumb.jpg

Props to the salad and savories. I used to feel deprived when breakfast didn't start with juice, citrus fruit or melon, but am slowly beginning to appreciate coffee on its own.

This morning: bowl of Greek-style yogurt, honey, the last of Sunday's perfect, red raspberries and chocolate-cherry granola, crumbled. Attire?

Yet again this week I am starting the day off with soup, this time Tom Yum from Siam House. My use of soup as a breakfast food this week made me wonder if any cultures include soup for breakfast. For example Middle Eastern breakfasts are savory delights with cheeses, olives and breads. I just wonder....

Yet again this week I am starting the day off with soup, this time Tom Yum from Siam House. My use of soup as a breakfast food this week made me wonder if any cultures include soup for breakfast. For example Middle Eastern breakfasts are savory delights with cheeses, olives and breads. I just wonder....

I enjoy savory for breakfast-soup in particular. When we order in Chinese, I order a large hot and sour soup so I can have it again the next morning for breakfast.

I frequently have last night's dinner leftovers for breakfast, especially if dinner was a soup or a stew. This morning I had leftover potatoes dauphinoise, followed by a vigorous workout :)

Steel-cut oats with allspice, cinnamon, brown sugar, raisins, and milk; big mug o' hot coffee

me, too. is it breakfast or dessert? steel-cut oats cooked with coconut milk, banana, cinnamon stick, vanilla bean, ginger root, mix of chopped golden raisins, dried cherries and figs, cardamom, allspice, nutmeg, served with almond milk. Peet's cappuccino.

1 TJ chicken apple sausage, 2 hard boiled eggs, k-cup of Green Mountain Pumpkin Spice coffeee . . . yum

Love my Keurig coffee maker, enjoy the flexibility of making different flavors, blends in the morning. Found a guy on eBay who sells plastic covers with a hole which you can use to cap off the top of a used cup after you fill it with your own brand/blend of coffee and reuse it several times. Better than the K-cup reusable filter, great invention and very inexpensive.

blueberrypancake2-1.jpg

I made one huge blueberry walnut pancake (just in the mood to experiment with my new 12-inch Calphalon pan) with a "syrup"* of raspberry jam, mollases, pomegranite balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Bacon, too!

*"honey, can you get the syrup out of the fridge?"

"What syrup?"

"oops, let me see what I can throw together!"