Breakfast - The Early-Morning, Polyphonic Food Blog

txaggie

I thought about eating cupcakes this morning (from Sprinkles - not bad) and then thought about what was the strangest thing or most atypical thing I had for breakfast. I am not sure I could come up with anything other than cupcakes or jello or something like, but wondered about the rest of you all?

Melange du produce drawer--onions, garlic, grape tomatoes, green beans, and asparagus sauteed with tarragon, thyme, and a bit of smoked paprika--topped with a fried egg

Toast with strawberry jam

Yum! I'm sick of the same-old, same-old breakfast, so this was something a bit different that filled me up without weighing me down. It's a keeper.

Arepas with scrambled eggs and pecorino romano cheese. Nothing terribly exotic, but I did want to share that a Cuisinart Griddler makes fabulous arepas with the smooth sides of the plates out and the setting on high. No need for baking in the oven.

[edited because I somehow posted dinner in the breakfast thread]

Today's breakfast was leftover macaroni and cheese and half of a chocolate-peanut Kashi Go Lean bar.

Where's that "weird things you eat for breakfast" thread?

Where's that "weird things you eat for breakfast" thread?

It would have to be created, beginning with Post #501 of this thread.

FTR:

Half a grapefruit, still sweet though season is ending

Coffee

2 slices of fig-walnut bread, toasted and spread w quark

(No Russian blood as far as I know. Just needed a change from oatmeal, pancakes or Saturday's scrambled eggs.)

After hearing just a little bit of an interview with the author of Thrive, I've been following his advice for breakfast for the past couple of days: high carbohydrates and omega-threes. Orange, oatmeal w dried apples, cranberries, cinnamon and toasted, ground flax seeds w milk yesterday in the dark, and today, surrounded by the song of a thousand birds, overlooking a trellis of wisteria, white, pink, periwinkle and magenta blossoms amidst pale shades of green: a variation of the same more suitable for warmer weather w grapefruit and Cherrios, slivers of toasted walnuts replacing flax. I suspect spring does more than nutritional combination, but B) .

I thought about eating cupcakes this morning (from Sprinkles - not bad) and then thought about what was the strangest thing or most atypical thing I had for breakfast. I am not sure I could come up with anything other than cupcakes or jello or something like, but wondered about the rest of you all?

That would be this morning's pan-seared shrimp with lemon-pepper sauce over steamed rice.

Scrambled eggs topped with Betty's Picante Fresh Salsa

Atwater's sunflower/flax bread, toasted, with Kerrygold butter

Organic Golden Yunnan tea from Zen Tara Tea in Bethesda (this tea is really delicious)

The Atwater's bread and Betty's salsa were both bought yesterday at the Bethesda Central Farm Market. This is Betty's first year at the market and I hope she sticks around -- her salsas are fantastic! I've almost finished off the entire 16 oz container that I bought yesterday morning.

A delicious peach kefir smoothie featuring two dangerously ripe bananas, frozen blueberries, and a hefty handful of lacinato kale just picked from the garden.

(temperatures soar)

(breakfast freezes)

(kale makes a cameo)

Had a breakfast buffet for the in laws this morning before they headed home. Cereals and Greek Yogurt, but the stars were the melange of Westmoreland berries (strawberries, blueberries and blackberries) and Valentine's frosted cinnamon rolls (warmed in the oven).

Black raspberry popovers--well, some of them. Dropped perfect berries from Country Pleasures (organic seller at Dupont market) into buttered tin before batter. While they didn't puff up as high as naked batter, delicious w dollop of thick Greek yogurt in center--or quark, I bet.

Leftover frittata with diced pancetta* and aged provolone. I'm loving my Calphalon non-stick omelet pan. I start the frittata on the stove top and finish is a really hot oven. The dish slides right out and I don't need to do the cover and flip with plates.

*Packaged small dice from the Italian Store. Very convenient product.

I love Calphalon non-stick too. I'm wondering if there's a limit on the temperature you can subject it too in the oven?

I love Calphalon non-stick too. I'm wondering if there's a limit on the temperature you can subject it too in the oven?

I finished the frittata in a 500 degree oven. I know that some/old non-stick pans give off bird-killing gasses, but my pan seemed to tolerate it just fine.

Buttermilk ice cream with blueberries, black raspberries, and red raspberries. I think summer fruits are my favorite foods ever... except ice cream.

Including tomatoes!

Peach

Egg in Purgatory made w Vidalia and a large greenhouse tomato

Buttered slice of sunflower-flax seed toast (sour, but not fishy)

Greek-style yogurt w honey, golden raspberries, black raspberries & a few blackberries

Coffee

Sam of Toigo overheard in conversation w shoppers at market yesterday, explaining why they might have found the first of the season's peaches this weekend, but not at the stand of this farm. Not just a matter of Pennsylvania (Toigo) vs. West Virginia (e.g., Spring Valley) since Twin Springs of PA also was selling a few. Matter of variety and type: the early peaches are all cling, that is, the flesh of the peach clings tight to the pit and they tend to be not as sweet and flavorful as the later varieties of freestone peaches whose flesh shrinks away from the pit as the fruit ripens. Brought a few clings home anyway since they are indeed ripe, my favorite fruit and like a voice crying in the wilderness, harbingers of summer's glory and the coming of the Sun on earth.

....unless you've got a pretty decent peach w the promise of stone-fruit excellence just around the corner :mellow: .

Coffee w whole milk from Clear Springs

Bowl of spoon-sized shredded wheat

Bits of sliced peach, skin consumed separately

Tiny little blueberries

1% milk

Handful of raw almonds

pastramipizza-1.jpg

Feeling market-inspired, I took my one lonely pizza dough ball and made a breakfast pizza of (Red Apron) pastrami, (Coulter) swiss, (Coulter) egg, (Blue Ridge) smoked and fresh mozzarella and evoo.

It would have been DAYUUUUUUUM good, but I overcooked the eggs on top. Eh, I'll make more pizza and figure it out!

I have to say, the Red Apron pastrami is wonderful. The fat is meltingly tender and packed with even more flavor.

It would have been DAYUUUUUUUM good, but I overcooked the eggs on top. Eh, I'll make more pizza and figure it out!

That still looks mighty fine. I think the trick is to wait until about five minutes left to cook before adding the eggs. You may find this video helpful.

^Those are beautiful!

This morning was teff/cinnamon waffles with Norton grape sauce, a break from arepas and scrambled eggs with feta, the now "normal" breakfast. There's something very comforting about cooking breakfast, and I'm grateful my schedule allows it.