Breakfast - The Early-Morning, Polyphonic Food Blog

txaggie

7124647613_47aab70dd1.jpg

Steamed Spring Valley purple asparagus (incredibly sweet and worth the splurge)

Hollandaise sauce

Poached* Cleckner eggs

*I poached them in plastic wrap and am growing to like the method. I think it would be a good idea for entertaining because you can prep ahead of time and basically plop them in water all at once. If you do use/try this method, remember that the plastic wrap needs a spray of Pam or the like so the egg won't stick when you take it out of the wrapping.

Adding to the frittata love: hot Italian sausage of unknown provenance (it was in the freezer), spinach, onion, tomato, and some grated aged gouda, along with toasted buttered brioche and lattes made with Zeke's Italian roast from our trip to Baltimore a couple of weeks ago.

post-1666-0-74630900-1338047602_thumb.jp

TJ "fresh-squeezed" grapefruit juice

Coffee w Clear Spring whole milk

Buttermilk pancakes w maple-poached blackberries (Garner's) and raw, Jersey-cow yogurt with mint

2 strips of 3 Pigs' maple bacon

Best bacon I've had in long, long time--and yes, I agree that it's very expensive.

Your frittatas look absolutely amazing! I'm not much of a breakfast person, but I will always pick savory over sweet, & those frittatas would be savored, (& I bet they'd be good as leftovers, although I doubt you have that problem)...

trip to the Dupont market this morning, returning home to make black raspberry pancakes* served with grade B maple syrup. Black raspberries have very little flavor until they are heated, and then Oh, Mama! Oh, Daddy! them are good!

*made the batter with part almond milk, melted butter mixed with roasted almond oil, ginger, cardamom, nutmeg, vanilla extract.

I made a big breakfast for my husband this morning:

Steel cut oats with milk and demerara sugar

Leftover frittata with herbs and oven-dried tomatoes

Hard-boiled egg

Whole wheat toast with butter and strawberry jam

Yellow tomato quarters

(I had some of the oatmeal.)

Yesterday I had some buttermilk to use up in the 'fridge so I of course thought of waffles or pancakes. The night before I had used the ATK Family Healthy Cookbook to make a blue cheese/buttermilk salad dressing, so I thought I'd see what they had to offer. Delicious, whole wheat waffles, with great texture and flavor. The recipe is a bit much in the morning for me (whipping egg whites) but Mr. S did the grunt work. Now we need to look for a new waffle iron as I think the one we have is on its last legs. Might be about 25 years old...

My first Vitamix concoction: cold coffee, milk, sugar, ice. (Despite the fact that I'm lucky enough to be in air conditioning today, it seemed appropriate.) Vitalicious!

We had that this afternoon made with almond milk, which works really well for coffee slushies.

I have been enjoying making smoothies in my new blender/chopper - no, it's not a Vitamix (couldn't justify the purchase at this time), but it's the Cuisinart portable system with the individual travel cups. It's nice to just throw everything in, blend away, and take the cup with me (rather than having to dirty/clean the larger reservoir for just one drink). It has plenty of power for the things I do with it. My favorite breakfast smoothie so far has been a combo of flax seeds, strawberries, blueberries, bananas, lowfat yogurt, and orange-mango juice.

^ESPN :P

Sour cream French toast (just add a big dollop to your custard) with Westmoreland raspberries, maple syrup and Valentine's Canadian bacon (highly recommend).

7520183578_22a58bf26b.jpg

eta: Westmoreland's raspberries were outstanding this year. I'm glad I bought bulk a couple times and have a stash in my freezer.

^yours looks better than mine did. I would've put blueberries on if I had any. I have 8 quarts of tasrt cherries and 5 quarts of blueberries in the freezer. Actually, they make great snacks straight out of the freezer...

I've been making a microwave "compote" topping with my frozen blueberries. I grab a handful and put them in a bowl with a splash of water and squeeze of lemon, and sugar (depending on tartness). I zap in the microwave for 2 minutes and it becomes a decent compote topping. It's been a quick and easy thing to do to dress up oatmeal on a weekday morning.

homemade yogurt with blueberries and apricots.

Seriously, I cannot remember a year when local fruit has been so flavorful. Strawberries, red and black raspberries, blueberries, sweet and tart cherries, peaches, even apricots. Ok, I had a bum plum last week, but everything else has been incredible. I hope this summer never ends.

I agree Porcupine. I've opined about the red raspberries already and I'll add the blue and blackberries too. Strawberries were good, not great where I found them, however, altogether far better than Driscoll's.

Corn has been spot on too--sweet but not cloying, good corn flavor. I've been eating it all hours of the day. I think next week I'll get a good dozen or two for my annual cheddar corn chowder. Man, love pulling a quart of it out of the freezer in January!

What goes up the chimney? Almost. I skipped the cornmeal given plans for dinner and added canary melon. So used to believing in Wyler's frozen wild blueberries, I had forgotten how good freshly-picked blueberries are in a multigrain, buttermilk batter.

My son's bday was yesterday, we made him a lemon cake, per his request, now what should I do w/ the leftover buttermilk? (I tried to find the buttermilk powder, but couldn't)- waffles, biscuits, anyone have a great buttermilk- something recipe?

My son's bday was yesterday, we made him a lemon cake, per his request, now what should I do w/ the leftover buttermilk? (I tried to find the buttermilk powder, but couldn't)- waffles, biscuits, anyone have a great buttermilk- something recipe?

I make this fairly often, usually for dinner, but there's no reason it wouldn't work at any time of day:

http://www.lhj.com/recipe/eggs-cheese/chilaquile-casserole/

Watermelon

Coffee

Popovers w homemade apricot preserves

Tried the French method of steeping fruit overnight in sugar w vanilla bean. Nigel Slater calls for 750 g of sugar for 2 lbs. of fruit or 1.5: 2 which I dutifully used. Love the intense flavor of the fruit especially since I followed someone else's advice to blanch a few kernels extracted from pits and halve them once skinned to add w lemon juice. However, the sugary slush shrunk the apricots and there was so much more syrup than fruit at the end that I poured a separate jarful for glazing. A bit too sweet for my taste, so I am wondering how much I would lose in texture by decreasing sugar next year.

Using ingredients from this morning's Del Ray Farmer's Market...

Arugula and Shallot Omelet, cooked in a wisp of chipotle-infused olive oil I made last month

Best Fresh Blueberries of My Life, simply rinsed, eaten, and adored

(i didn’t know)

(today)

(would be that day)

Hosted some family friends for brunch yesterday morning, 9 of us total (plus a baby). Made the usual bacon and eggs, home fries (roasted on Thursday night for flavor and par-cooking, pan-fried at breakfast time for crunch), fruit, and biscuits, but busted out the homemade canned goods. People enjoyed homemade pickled okra in their bloody marys, and the strawberry-balsamic jam and strawberry lemon curd were awesome on biscuits. I felt really good that I was able to add a special homemade touch to a pretty standard breakfast. And when there is a baby around, I'll take a meal at home anyday over dealing with restaurant craziness.

Blueberry cornmeal pancakes with dark maple syrup; coffee.

No blueberries, fresh corn. Best corn cakes ever? Cut off only about 1/3 of kernels from huge ear of Toigo's deeply flavorful, bicolor mira corn. Sawed off the rest w box grater, influenced perhaps by Ottolenghi's polenta recipe. Good way to get milky, creamy mix of textures.

That sounds really good! I realize why I haven't posted in the breakfast forum is because my former breakfast (small bagel w/ peanut butter) was boring, & my current breakfast (hard-boiled egg, olives, & carrots) is equally boring...I dislike eating almost anything in the morning, unless it's really enticing leftovers from the night before...I did cook bacon & eggs for my DS before a test the other day, kind of useless, because he dislikes eggs & doused them in ketchup (I tried to talk him into salsa, but it wasn't my breakfast)...Thank goodness for coffee, he said he picked one up at McD's before his test, which was surprising to me, I couldn't appreciate coffee until I was in my 30s....

A Mexican "shakshouka" burrito: fresh ripe poblano chile stewed with onion and fresh tomato, chicken chorizo, and scrambled egg topped with chopped scallion, cilantro and yellow chile, wrapped in a large flour tortilla. REALLY spicy, but delicious.

Peet's capuccino made with half skim and half almond milk.