Breakfast - The Early-Morning, Polyphonic Food Blog

txaggie

inspired by a brunch dish that I had earlier this year when I was in L.A. plus the fact that I had some leftover cooked merguez sausage and spiced tomato sauce in my refrigerator, I made Moroccan baked eggs. Started with red bell pepper, ripe Italian sweet pepper and ripe poblanos, sweated in strips with onion, fennel and garlic, the spiced tomato sauce added and stewed until the veg were tender, then the chopped up merguez added and cooked for a while. The stew was ladled into oven-proof bowls, two eggs cracked into each of the bowls, and baked until the eggs set. sprinkled with chopped cilantro and served with toasted Lyon Bakery paladin. and Peet's cappuccini.

In the spirit of cleaning out the fridge, I went with a "put an egg on it and call it breakfast" approach this morning. Pan-fried wild mushroom risotto cakes topped with poached eggs and criminis in red wine reduction. It turned out quite well, so I'm happy that there's enough for tomorrow's breakfast.

Steel cut oatmeal with raisins

Scrambled eggs

Maple blueberry sausage links

The sausages were in the butcher case at Whole Foods and I was intrigued, wondering if they might be as bad as it seemed like they could be <_< . I've always liked maple syrup on breakfast sausages, though, so I decided to give it a try and bought 3 links. I thought the sausage was surprisingly good (especially with a little added maple syrup.) The blueberry component worked really well. My husband ate half of a sausage and hated it. Split decision on this one.

Pumpkin pie and coffee.

Sounds excellent. I had cranberry swirl cheesecake and coffee for breakfast on Friday morning. I toiled over the damn thing on Thursday night, and I had to chill it overnight before I could taste it and determine if it was any good, so darn tootin' I was having it for breakfast. Verdict: it needs work.

Grapefruit, coffee, handful of almonds

Steel-cut oatmeal

w apple sautéed in butter, dusted w cinnamon

and squirted w lemon,

dried cranberries, toasted walnut slivers,

maple syrup and milk

Tangerine

Trader Joe's quick-cooking, steel-cut oatmeal disappoints. Oats simply pulverized more than in longer-cooking grain, so you lose the distinctive chewy texture.

after a lightening-quick trip to the Dupont Circle market:

shakshouka: a middle-eastern version of oeufs en piperade, made with red and yellow bell peppers and some green and ripe poblanos, onions, garlic, tomato, spiced with cumin seed, ginger, saffron and a bit of brown sugar (adapted from the recipes in _Plenty_ and _Jerusalem_ by Yotam Ottolenghi). served with toasted baguette.

orange juice

Peet's cappuccino

Blood orange (Giant; US-grown & good!)

Coffee

Leftover cauliflower fritters (coins?) reheated in oven w tahini-lemon yogurt sauce and pomegranate seeds (rebirth & coming of Spring)

(Recipe from Smitten Kitchen, though fresh mint, extra zest and extra garlic clove recommended. Steam veg and pulse in food processor for 2-3 seconds if you find potato masher does nothing for tender but firm florets.)

I'm relishing the quiet house and reading the latest New Yorker on my Kindle while enjoying a toasted everything bagel, one side buttered and the other spread with cream cheese, accompanied by hot black coffee. Saturday morning before the kids awaken is a blessed time.

Used a leftover brined Stachowski pork chop to make a sweet potato hash with poached farmers market eggs. I'm not much of a cook but one thing I learned to do as a child so have pretty down is poach an egg properly. This came out well.

Dear Darkstar965,

Please stop referring to yourself as "not much of a cook." Clearly, that is not true. I will allow you to self-deprecate this one last time. In the future, any statement from you that suggests you lack ability in the kitchen, or are unable to gather ingredients and prepare a tasty meal, will be deleted from your post. The meals you have made that you have written about sound delicious. Carry on!

Dear Darkstar965,

Please stop referring to yourself as "not much of a cook." Clearly, that is not true. I will allow you to self-deprecate this one last time. In the future, any statement from you that suggests you lack ability in the kitchen, or are unable to gather ingredients and prepare a tasty meal, will be deleted from your post. The meals you have made that you have written about sound delicious. Carry on!

What Zora said. :) You certainly sound like a cook to me.

• Like 1

Dear Darkstar965,

What Zora said. :) You certainly sound like a cook to me.

Ha! Literally Laughed Out Loud. Thanks Zora and Heather. So chastened, an only slightly late New Years Resolution.

For the infrequent posts I make to the daily meal threads, just the facts and will focus more on outcomes. The truth is, I've actually upped my cooking game some thanks to this website.

Thanks again. And, Happy Birthday, Zora!

Late to the party but recipe please????

Sorry, just saw this!

Basically, you blend the living daylights out of 10-12 eggs, 2-3 cups of shredded cheese of your liking, 1/4 cup flour, 1 tbsp of baking powder and salt/pepper. Pour into a greased pan (I am *loving* Crisco spray) and bake at 375 for 45 minutes to an hour, until set. I like to add sliced tomatoes and a good handful of Parm to the top after about 30 minutes.

I call this my Cape May Egg Casserole because it's served at our favorite BnB there.

went to the farmers market this morning to get regular eggs because Nick doesn't like the way duck eggs scramble. Got home to discover that he could not find the Hebrew National he wanted at the harris teeter so had decided to not make breakfast. I had given up my sunday sausage at Teaism so was very sad. In a sulk, I started slicing the challah to make cinnamon-sugar toast; Nick decided he would make french toast instead.

So, breakfast was french toast and lemon-honey-ginger-mint tea.

I see a sunbeam; I think I need a nap.

The new minimalist vegetarian diet?

The soup (I think I mentioned in another thread) was made with chicken stock, but thickened with lots of cabbage and barley. The combination of sourdough and the soup made for a sort of ribollita, which was comforting and stick to the ribs on this cold morning. :)

The soup (I think I mentioned in another thread) was made with chicken stock, but thickened with lots of cabbage and barley. The combination of sourdough and the soup made for a sort of ribollita, which was comforting and stick to the ribs on this cold morning. :)

My "minimalist" reference was a joking commentary on your typo: "Toasted sourdough and vegetable barely soup." :rolleyes:

That is so lovely, I would just stare at it, (& then devour it)...my morning bagel w/ PB pales in comparison, but it gets me moving....

Thanks, it was good. Tomorrow morning will be toast your own Wolferman's english muffins (a holiday gift) with cream cheese and preserves. The "chef" is done with breakfast for this weekend ;)

8995007797_44198f64cf_z.jpg

Taylor Ham Cups Benedict-- Mr. MV's and my childhood favorite Taylor Ham (like bologna, it curls when it's heated) with poached Coulter eggs (first time finding a double yolker!), blender hollandaise, caramelized chiffonade of brussel sprouts (butter, salt, pepper, brown sugar, white balsamic, Dijon) and chives.

• Like 2

Two scrambled eggs with chives

1/2 cup lemon yogurt

I found the chives hiding in the refrigerator, farmers' market chives at least a month old. The ends of them were no good, but there was still quite a decent amount that was usable. There are still a few pieces left. They still had good onion-y flavor, too.