Breakfast - The Early-Morning, Polyphonic Food Blog

txaggie

Ah, Sundays...

• One Dairy Godmother "Oatie"; deep butterscotch and salt with unbelievably satisfying chewiness; the best 80¢ you can spend in Del Ray
  • Larry's Beans "Cowboy Blend"; topped with foamed milk and an orchard's soft breeze courtesy of Penzeys Apple Pie Spice
  • Like 1

Last week I went grocery shopping and the only eggs I could get were already eight days old.  Each egg has the date it was laid stamped on to it.  Anything past three or four days is considered old.  So I had to use up my "old" eggs and made my first real omelet with basil and Slow Food brand parm with a little lemon oil drizzled on top. 

Quesadillas from queso fresco, sauteed spinach, garlic, and pico de gallo.  Yesterday, a market in the Dallas suburbs made these tortillas from their freshly ground masa; the green hue is from cactus fiber.  Citrus is a Key lime, $1.79 for a large bag, surprisingly juicy.

After oiling the tortillas but before cooking, crushed Maldon smoked salt flakes added stellar crunch and campfire flavor.

My mouth wishes I made two of these.  My BMI is glad I stuck to one.

Delightful.

post-5654-0-44371200-1381244631_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Comforting start to a wet, dark day in DC--in more ways than one.

Bob's Red Mill Scotch oatmeal, slow-cooked in a mix of water, coconut milk and almond milk with banana and golden raisins, vanilla bean, cinnamon stick, orange peel, fresh ginger, cardamom and nutmeg. Served with a splash of maple syrup. (J. put some heavy cream on his portion...)

• Like 1

11627234915_3dd277bb81_z.jpg

Carrots cooked forever, with ricotta cheese, poached egg and black truffles

I have to apologize in advance for the truffle food pr0n. ;) I've never had black truffles outside of a restaurant setting, and it always seemed to me that any aroma or taste that was present at the time vanished long ago into the ether. You could say I'm hooked, and I am determined to make the thing I bought yesterday last as long as possible. I just have to resist the urge to put it into everything....

Recipe for the carrots: http://food52.com/recipes/19045-carrots-cooked-forever-a-la-roy-finamore

• Like 2

My MIL sent us a CasaBella silicone MicroEgg, I'm still trying to persuade someone to try it out (we don't eat a lot of eggs here). Edited to add, I am not a breakfast person at all, I like a small bagel, toasted, w/ peanut butter (despite the fact that I need to avoid carbs & really should be eating a HB egg.)

Breakfast was a burrito I made from dinner leftovers after cleaning up last night and put in the fridge for today:  flank steak, caramelized onions, and avocado - with several shakes of Cholula added before eating for good measure.  Way more satisfying than I expected it to be.

Bacon.

It isn't a snow/ice day if there isn't bacon.  The Trader Joe's Bits and Ends is very satisfying.

Tomorrow I'm getting more creative with the bacon. I bought actual slices and I'm going to try to shape them into hearts.  I also have cinnamon rolls that I'm going to do the same thing with.  Followed by heart-shaped fried eggs.  (I'm pretty sure there isn't going to be school tomorrow and BL-1st grader is going to be bummed.)

today was a spiced oatmeal kind of morning. I use Bob's Red Mill steel cut oats and cook in 1/4 coconut milk-1/4 almond milk-and 1/2 water (4:1 cup ratio.) Also going in is ripe banana, golden raisins, chopped white fig, 2" piece of vanilla bean, cinnamon stick, piece of orange zest, cardamom and ginger. I forgot to add nutmeg, but didn't miss it. It takes 45 minutes to an hour at a low simmer, until the liquid is completely absorbed and the oats no longer crunchy. so silky and flavorful that I eat it plain, with just a teaspoon of agave nectar. J gives it the full oatmeal treatment with butter, maple syrup and half-and-half. it's just exactly what I want when snow is coming down outside. and there will be leftovers!

13037975853_657c5a1b75_z.jpg

Beets, citrus, walnuts

The beets were roasted last night, then macerated with fennel fronds, Meyer lemon juice, crushed fennel seed and sea salt overnight. This mixture was combined with chopped clementine orange, walnuts and scallion, and dressed with a Meyer lemon vinaigrette (1 teaspoon clementine juice, 3 tablespoons Meyer lemon juice, 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, sea salt and black pepper to taste.)

13037829525_264198dea8_z.jpg

Scrambled eggs (2 eggs, sea salt, black pepper, 2 tablespoons milk) with champignon mushrooms (chopped champignon mushrooms (otherwise known as white button mushrooms, the kind you get in your supermarket), sautéed in olive oil, with chopped shallots, slivered scallion, sea salt and black pepper) and green mango pickle.

yeast-raised homemade cultured buttermilk pancakes

maple syrup and homemade cultured fleur de sel butter

Peet's cappucini

I made the pancake batter last night, which rested in the refrigerator overnight. Subbed fine-ground cornmeal for 1/4 of the flour, pistachio oil for the vegetable oil, and palm sugar for the white sugar in the recipe and added a few personal fillips: vanilla, cardamom, nutmeg and orange zest. J had always expressed disappointment when I made pancakes in the past. They were never as light and fluffy as he would have liked. These pancakes met with praise for their lightness and fluffiness, but he thought there was too much orange zest...

Oh, well. The inevitable clash of palates when a lover of intense flavors cooks for and eats with a highly sensitive super-taster who grew up eating bland food. I thought they were fabulous.

I spent some time yesterday leafing through the magazines that have stacked up and are spilling out of the basket that is supposed to contain them, and i decided I need to use the ideas in them a little more frequently.  So, not exactly like the recipe from an old Bon Appetit, but pretty close considering I have no herbs in the garden yet.

Eggs shirred in a chipotle-seasoned tomato sauce, finished with some feta that was made bubbly under the broiler, served with arepas.

this morning, we had round two of the yeast-raised buttermilk pancakes. I had stored the excess batter in a slightly too-small container and the yeast was still very much alive and active, so I had to do some clean-up in the refrigerator this morning. I added blueberries to the pancakes, and we had our own version of the Denny's "grand-slam," with eco-friendly bacon and a fried egg on the plate, and a glass of orange juice with the coffee. Homemade butter and Vermont maple syrup on top. It just does not get better than this was.

• Like 2

13821655044_fa04b4a2d1_z.jpg

Carrots and salsify, with garlic and saffron

Peel and trim salsify, cut into batons, place in a bowl of acidulated water (1 cup water, juice of half a lemon). Peel and trim carrots, cut into batons. Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil, add carrots and salsify; cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Drain with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl.

Melt unsalted butter in a skillet, add chopped garlic. Fry until garlic turns a pale gold, add carrots, salsify and a pinch of saffron. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, or until the vegetables are golden brown, about 6-8 minutes. Stir in chopped parsley. Taste for salt and pepper, then serve.

13821654364_0bb9612979_z.jpg

Omelette aux fines herbes, sautéed spinach with shallots and sesame oil.

The omelette is from page 133 of

13800694094_32e6bcae67_z.jpg

Today was a little more breakfast-like than yesterday and very satisfying:  a scoop of leftover mashed potatoes topped with the last of a can of black beans (about 1/4 cup) and then a slice of colby jack cheese.  Microwaved until hot and melty.  Served with a fried egg with an extra white, over easy.  Usually I scramble eggs or make an omelet when I have an extra white in the refrigerator.  Frying worked fine, though.  I ended up with a super large egg, where the white dwarfed the yolk.  It filled the whole 6" saute pan.

Zora, I am intrigued by the homemade cultured buttermilk. Would you please share the technique?

It is a by-product of making cultured butter. First, it means making yogurt, but with heavy cream--creme fraiche. (Heat cream to 90 degrees F. and mix in 3-4 Tbsps of yogurt. Let sit at warm room temp. for 24-48 hours.) Then, whip the thickened, soured cream in a mixer with a whisk attachment until it turns to butter, and drain out the buttermilk.

It is a by-product of making cultured butter. First, it means making yogurt, but with heavy cream--creme fraiche. (Heat cream to 90 degrees F. and mix in 3-4 Tbsps of yogurt. Let sit at warm room temp. for 24-48 hours.) Then, whip the thickened, soured cream in a mixer with a whisk attachment until it turns to butter, and drain out the buttermilk.

Wow. Thank you. I make yogurt all the time but with regular milk, not cream. Will have to try that.

14102250011_e768476409_z.jpg

14102250621_5ec48f9d28_z.jpg

Curried chickpeas with coconut and spinach, served with spicy tomato chutney, raita and garlic pickle

Just something I threw together. I wanted to introduce my boyfriend to homemade Indian food since all of his previous experiences have been at restaurants. Homemade tends to be lighter and fresher (e.g., not as much ghee, sour cream or coconut milk).

The chickpeas were soaked last night for 8 hours, then drained and simmered in lightly salted water on medium-low heat, partly covered, for an hour.

Curry contains ghee, black mustard seed, dried curry leaves, ginger-garlic paste, sliced onion, black cumin seed, cardamom pods, chickpeas, dried coconut, Greenmarket spinach, sea salt, turmeric and a little of the chickpea cooking liquid.

The chutney and pickle were store-bought. The raita is just cumin seed and panch phoron toasted in some ghee, then stirred into unflavored yogurt, seasoned to taste with sea salt.

Watermelon, blackberries, mint, and feta.  Idea stolen from Little Red Fox.  With iced Earl Grey tea.

Thus far, it's one of the few reasonably healthy breakfasts I've found that's tempting enough to lure me away from a latte and a pastry.

• Like 1

Egg salad sandwich on onion-dill-rye bread.  Same thing as I had for dinner last night.  It's a particularly good batch of egg salad and there's still one sandwichful left!