Breakfast - The Early-Morning, Polyphonic Food Blog

txaggie

Last of the farmer's market strawberries in a smoothie made with middle eastern yogurt drink. The first sips you could abrely taste the strawberry but it grew on me as I drank it. 

TJ's English Muffin & butter. We just scored a used Breville Toaster/Convection oven used to 1/6 the price of new so I needed to toast something. 

• Like 1

Crudite & garlicky yogurt dip. 

Atwater scalded rye sourdough with melted asiago & fontina and then leftover slices of grilled chicken breasts.

Kay scours Next Door and 5 mile etc for free or cheap stuff. This is her outlet now that garage sales are a thing of the past. Her latest score is a like-new Breville toaster oven for $40 which is like 20% of the price of new. This is an amazing appliance. I set it for 3 slices, medium color and it made three perfectly matched slices, exactly medium color in 4 minutes. WOW!

• Like 1

Unlike last week's attempt, this week's bread was a success.  So, this morning I made toad in a hole with spiced oil in the skillet.  I used a bit too much cayenne for my taste, but my husband liked the spice level.  We both felt the bread ended up too crunchy, so I'll need to revisit this recipe.

• Like 1

Tuna with homemade mayo & sakura soy.

triscuits & feta and blue.

Thai banana. 

Bali Blue Moon coffee. 

Spot had, you will never guess! Pizza and cat chow. His meowing for the pizza, which started an hour before pizza time, woke the neighbors. 

• Haha 2

We had some finely diced jerk chicken left from earlier this week, so I made up a waffle batter and added some of the chicken to it for a very uncomplicated chicken and waffles breakfast.  I've got enough leftovers for at least the next 2 days so also a win.

• Like 4

We had a tomato that needed cooking. So I scrambled it with some eggs. But I added a few things to it. Crispy guanciale. Local spring onion. The last of our grilled & roasted veggies. A ton of reggiano. Spices. So a simple, light, healthy tomato and eggs. 😋

Spot gave us dirty looks because we were in the mystery room and he did not get any pizza out of it. So he ate his chow, lapped up water, and pooped. The scratching of kitty litter sounded particularly emphatic and angry. He is sleeping it off now. 

• Haha 1

This week and last has been honey nut cheerios and blueberries.  Today though as I made a bakewell tart last night, was a piece of that with coffee.  I have noticed I am drinking now both a coffee and diet coke some days... I used to limit myself to one caffeinated beverage.  But I have an online training all this week, so whatever gets you through it, right?

Atwater bread with melted pecorino pepato

Smith meadows egg scrambled w/grated parm.

Not enough coffee. 

Spot ate his chow quietly. What wasn't quiet was his MEOWING! in our ears from 4 am till breakfast time of 6.30. We were petting him and scratching behind his ears but the little bastard wold hiss and then rub our hands for more. 

Atwater bread homemade ramp butter, grated parm regginao, grotto spice rub, salt. Toasted until bubbly.

Spot was angry at Kay because she respected him to wait until 15 minutes before his breakfast time to feed him. How unreasonable. I leave it to you to decide who I am referring to. 

Last night, I poached a chicken breast, and shredded it for chicken salad.  Then I diced 1/4 of a small onion, about a 1/4 cup of fire roasted corn, diced ginger, some of yesterday's basil relish and mixed it with some mayo and the chicken.  Let that sit overnight and had it as my breakfast sandwich this morning.   Definitely a winner in my book.

• Like 4

Cheerios of the honey nut variety last week.  Now I am out of Lactose Free milk.  So this morning was macerated strawberries and some juice mixed into plain greek yogurt, which was quite tasty.  I have one more serving of that tomorrow.  At this point, I feel a bit like a hermit, I am not saying I haven't been outside, or to work.  But I haven't been inside a store since early March- grocery or otherwise.  At this point, it's not that I don't feel safe going into some of the small stores, it is just mainly I can acquire anything from take out or delivery.  And I have just thought- why put my loved ones at risk if you don't have to.  I kind of want to eat outdoors at a restaurant, will do that soon likely.  And I am getting my hair did this week- so I will finally go in a place.  

We had some tortillas, eggs and cheese.  So, after this morning's bike ride, I scrambled an egg w/ Sriracha and black pepper.  Poured it in a small skillet and once it was 85% set, sprinkled on cheese and topped with a flour tortilla.  Gave it another min, then flipped and another min.  Repeat for the 2nd one, roll it up and breakfast was served.  I made some quick pickled fennel yesterday, so added a bit of that to mine, which I enjoyed.

• Like 3

I rarely cook anything in my house -- my husband mostly cooks -- but I had a craving for pumpkin pancakes, so this morning I made this recipe, which was very good! I hadn't made pancakes in a long time, so they were a little overdone and dense (I think I should have added more milk to the batter as the recipe suggests if the batter seems too thick), but they still tasted great and pumpkin-y. I also made bacon in the oven for the first time. It came out very crispy but it was still bacon so still tasted great. I'll tweak my methods on both and hopefully will get even better results next time.

The amount of liquid in the pumpkin would make getting this right a little tricky. This sounds really good. Maple syrup to go with?

I very rarely eat breakfast but today had oatmeal for lunch and it was very breakfast-y: oatmeal with mashed banana and a drizzle of date syrup. As I was eating it, I commented to my husband that I felt like I was eating baby food. It was comforting, though. I also had a small piece of leftover cornbread along with it. (He had the cornbread and leftover frittata. I guess just call it brunch.)

Yes, there was actually maple syrup in the batter and we had maple syrup on top as well. I also had butter on mine.

This morning my husband made Belgian waffles using the Bisquick recipe with the waffle maker we bought over the summer for $5 from a family moving overseas. We had them with sugared strawberries and butter.

• Like 1

I had the sausage breakfast scones from Red Truck Bakery, which I thought were a little salty, especially as they had extra flaked salt on top.  They would have been better with some apple butter on them.  I dunno, I love  a good biscuit, this should have been up my alley, but the flavor was just very salty.

Just looked ^^^those^^^ up and they do look delicious. I'm not big on pancakes, except once in a while I want them, and I've been craving blueberry pancakes.

Something might be different with this particular recipe,  but I always end up freezing pancakes when I make them because we just don't eat many, and they hold up pretty well, in my experience.

2 hours ago, Pat said:

Just looked ^^^those^^^ up and they do look delicious. I'm not big on pancakes, except once in a while I want them, and I've been craving blueberry pancakes.

Something might be different with this particular recipe,  but I always end up freezing pancakes when I make them because we just don't eat many, and they hold up pretty well, in my experience.

These are seriously delicious and I make them maybe once a year for houseguests- no guests this year:(.

the separating and  whipping of the egg whites is different from other recipes- didn’t have whole milk and they are just as good .

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 6:57 AM, Torshi said:

That looks awesome!  Did you use vegan cream cheese?  If so, which one?  Never had much luck.

I'm sorry, I completely missed this post until today.  I had regular cream cheese in the fridge, so I used that.  I'm planning on making another batch this weekend as I really enjoyed how it tasted.  

A huge lunch special from a local Greek restaurant gave me leftover gyro meat and rosemary potatoes. So yesterday morning I chopped up the meat and diced the potatoes, warmed them in some olive oil in a skillet, and made a lovely “Greek” omelette. 

• Like 1