Breakfast - The Early-Morning, Polyphonic Food Blog

txaggie

A friend's father made a gang of us Swedish pancakes with rasperry sauce, bacon, coffee and mimosas. It was the morning after my friend's bachelorette party (which I missed because I was sore from a car accident Friday :( ) so we had a fun time catching up, looking through photos from the night before, etc.

English muffin topped w/ cinammon sugar*

Yogurt w/ frozen berries (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries) and (CSA) honey

[*OMG! What a trip down memory lane! I don't think I've had toasted bread w/ cinammon sugar since I was in elementary school.]

This morning, I got around to sampling my fresh eggs from Dupont ('ve been using them just not "making eggs" per se). I made eggs benedict and also scrambled one up with a dab of margarine in a non stick pan. The poached eggs held together extremely well (I use the vinegar, dump and gather method)-best ever. Yolks were deeply colored but to be fair, I smotherd them with Hollandaise (yum) so the taste wasn't exactly evident.

The scrambled egg was very creamy and also deep in color-definitely made for superior scrambled eggs.

I may buy eggs from the other egg vendor at Dupont(at the end of the street) to compare unless anyone can tell me to not bother-any comparative experience out there?

2237035028_ccec426d76_m.jpg

2236245331_ed34cf161c.jpg

A brick with scrapple at Market Lunch. I think the simultaneous political discussion my friend and I were having gave me indigestion, though :). I also had a cup of coffee that seemed supercharged with caffeine. Or maybe that effect was a consequence of the discussion too. I'm swearing off discussing politics first thing in the morning, and in crowded public places :mellow:.

English muffin w/ cinnamon sugar

Leftover beef Pho

(After that cold, rainy, nasty Friday I went to Nam Viet for Pho. I had the foresight to order the large soup, yet had it split in two portions: a bowl to eat there, the other to go. I asked that the to-go noodles be packaged separately; no mushy noodles and the soup re-heated wonderfully. Just as good as Friday night. Only thing missing us the Garden Roll.)

Alfajores

(After discovering that only the El Pollo Rico in VA serves them, and not the El Pollo Rico in MD. So sad.)

(What is also sad is how much weight I will gain upon discovering how freakin easy it is to make these, especially since dulce de leche is readily available in a can in all the grocery stores around here...)

Half a grapefruit w a sprinkle of Demerara sugar

Coffee w milk

Couscous

Couscous for breakfast is a first and I have to say it simply isn't substantial enough on its own, at least not given recommendation of using 1/4 cup for a single portion. I bought way too much couscous in the fall and thought this might be a good way to empty the jars in my cupboards since it's not the time of year I like adding it to salads at lunch.

Heated up 1/3 cup of 2% milk w a little honey and cinnamon. Poured in the couscous and let it sit, covered, for 5 minutes. Stirred in 3 chopped, dried apricots, a spoonful of dried cranberries and 3 chopped raw almonds. A sliver of butter and more milk.

I'll probably have a banana soon--or an early lunch.

Cream Cheese King Cake Buns. Or whatever they should be called.

I used a new recipe for King Cake the week before last and was not too thrilled with how it turned out (I added too much flour to the dough and it was a bit dry, plus it leaked the oh-so-delicious filling) so I was wanting to remake the recipe. Then, I had a dream Thursday night that, instead of baking it as a single ring, I cut it into individual pieces and baked them in jumbo muffin pans like I do with my favorite sticky bun recipe. So Friday evening I turned a dream into reality (nothing like dreaming small). The buns came out okay. Not sure if I'll ever make it that way again -- too much "edge" for my tastes. But the cream cheese filling is a good alternative for when I'm making sticky buns and there is someone who does not like nuts (my bro-in-law) or cinnamon (my dear Mrs. S).