Breakfast - The Early-Morning, Polyphonic Food Blog

txaggie

Half a pink grapefruit

Coffee in a hot crimson mug

Baked rhubarb compote w Meyer lemon zest and minced crystallized ginger, fuchsia,

spooned into plain homemade yogurt.

Topped w homemade granola: oatmeal, ground flax seeds, coconut, cashews, almonds, brown sugar, honey (out of Grade B maple), canola oil, cinnamon and powdered ginger. Oh and touch of salt.

Through the bitter cold, someone whistles far and wee.

Bagels

Cream cheese

Trader Joe's Wild Alaskan smoked salmon

Kalamatas, capers, sliced onion, sliced hothouse tomatoes and cucumber

Scrambled "I've got a secret" Eco-Friendly eggs*

Peet's cappuccini

TJ's orange juice

*Since Waitman has made reference to this, and I obviously cannot keep certain secrets, even about secrets, I will spill the beans--in the Dupont Market thread.

Steamed rice with umeboshi (dried pickled plums) and little dollops of "Gohan Desu Yo! (It's Rice!)" It's a sweetened seaweed-based condiment with the texture of apple butter (mmm, seaweed butter) that you scoop out of the jar with your chopsticks and mix into your rice a little at a time.

Atsuaage (thick piece of deep-fried tofu), split and served with fresh grated ginger and soy sauce.

Coffee

Brunch, actually. For seven.

Bellinis-- champagne, white peach puree and a splash of St. Germain liqueur

Local strawberries

Strata made with challah, Pennsylvania fresh porcini, shallots, homemade goat cheese, local milk and eggs

Eco-Friendly pork breakfast sausages

Mesclun and mache salad with cherry tomatoes, roasted almond oil/rice vinegar dressing

French breakfast radishes

Fresh squeezed orange juice--half the oranges were Italian blood oranges, the rest California navels

Peet's in a press pot with hot milk

Fresh fruit salad with sweetened vanilla creme fraiche--strawbs, blackberries, pineapple and watermelon with fresh mint

Shoebox Oven pistachio-lemon madeleines

Cherry almond souffles. I need to start taking pictures. :lol:

Please do!

Heather..hair of the dog, or hairy dogs. Both work for me! :lol:

This morning was a chicken saltena from the Del Ray farmers market. Green salsa...talk about hair of the dog. Wowza. I'll report back when I can feel my mouth again.

Well, they came out *really* ugly, but I made Nigella Lawson's Food Processor Cheese Danish. I've liked pretty much everything I've made out of this Domestic Goddess book. And I even took a picture! :lol: It's probably going to take me a while to figure out how to post it, though.

Zoolbia and Baamieh made by my Iranian co-worker when I got in to the office.

Those recipes are fascinating--essentially two slightly different batters, deep fried and then dipped in the same sugar syrup. One recipe calls for "starch." Corn? Rice? Tapioca? And I am thoroughly stymied by the direction to add a "glass" of water, as if the reader would automatically know exactly how much that would be. What size glass-- 6 oz.? 12 oz.? 16 oz.? Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe you just need to be Iranian. So how were they? Different shapes, but did they taste different? If so, how?

Zoolbia and Baamieh made by my Iranian co-worker when I got in to the office.

Oh dear god. Is that what they're called? I've been served those things all over the Middle East and am of the opinion that there is no "foodstuff" that packs in more fat and sugar per cubic inch. They make baklava seem positively restrained. Expect a major sugar crash in 5, 4, 3, 2....

They were both very, very sweet. As I have not much of a sweet tooth, I only had one of each, and thus avoided too much of a sugar crash. I think I like the small round ones better, only because the texture was a little disconcerting on the pretzel-looking ones. Flavor was essentially the same in both: big sugar/caramel/honey.

Rare Sunday morning: woke up at 6 instead of 3:30 or 4 and fell back to sleep for a while more.

Cup of coffee w milk seated on the porch, Eleanor brushing against my leg, crying.

Henry saunters down the path, then I, with nectarine and a handful of almonds.

Home again with the Sunday Post and The NYT :lol: , orange juice, neufchatel, nova trimmings from Snider's...

Moved the glass table and white plastic chairs to the other side of the porch, under the Japanese maple (red-tinged nosies dangle overhead) for shade and dappled light.

Beads collect around the red mug as ice melts in a second cup of coffee. Two onion bagels, toasted, the second with thin slices of the last of a long, thin, nobby cucumber on the side, salted, with black pepper.

The outdoor box of the A/C unit across the street drones and a train crosses two [back]yards away, the sound of dry metal pushing with force against dry metal, a brisk squeal. Birds. Leaves pulled back and forth by a breeze that bends the neighbor's tall bamboo wall. Creeping like Birnam Wood until underfoot, shoots poke through the grey floorboards and the last of the blackened onion bits disappear.

Bumblebees and butterflies. Not to eat. Dining companions.

Nothing like a good English fry-up or any of our own versions over here, though I prefer to cook my bacon in the oven.

Slice of Israeli melon
Cup of coffee w milk (why does Trader Joe's ultra-roast beans from Sumatra, destroying their distinctive flavor?)
Scrambled eggs
Bacon
Pan-fries w onions & beet greens
Second cup of coffee
Buttered toast w sour cherry preserves

I like to keep the thin skins on potatoes when frying them in a cast iron skillet. Especially good w the yellow ovals sold at Next Step Produce as Nicola potatoes. Diced, boiled, then thrown in with half of a huge sweet onion, chopped.

At the very end, a large fistful of chopped Italian parsley gets thrown in to coat everything green, sometimes including minced red peppers or shriveled up bits of mushrooms. Since there was no parsley, a beloved Indian recipe (Madhur Jaffrey) inspired the alternative. Had some greens from two bunches of beets that I had boiled, chopped finely and squeezed dry to sauté w onions earlier in the week to go w pasta and feta cheese. Skipped all the ground spices for breakfast. Quite delicious and somewhat virtuous.

Today was Beth's first morning run since the VA beach half marathon on Labor Day. So I decided to giver her a little treat. After a quick shower I whipped up some buckwheat pancakes with real maple syrup (Grade B, my favorite) and sauteed apples with cardamom and cinnamon. We ate them at the counter, over the newspaper, one by one as they came off the stove. Chugged down some awesome french pressed, Kenyan coffee that we procured at Mayorga (on our way back to Jersey a few weeks ago) and headed out the door. Not much but it was a nice break from the usual weekday smoothie and cereal routine.

BLT with Truckpatch bacon, iceberg lettuce, heirloom tomato, and Dukes mayo on Pepperidge Farm white toast + Glass of chilled rose = Awesome breakfast.
I had a BLT a while ago too. It was more like lunch, timewise, but it was the first I ate today, so I guess it can count as breakfast. The bacon was the basic bulk kind they have at the meat counter at Whole Foods. The tomato was non-heirloom from one of the outdoor vendors at Eastern Market. The lettuce was Boston lettuce from Costco. (They usually have a kind from PA, but this was Canadian.) The bread was toasted homemade buttermilk white bread. Hellman's light mayo. Utz potato chips on the side.

The thought of BLT had never entered my mind as a breakfast item. Heather's post inspired me and I made my version this morning, wheat toast, turkey bacon, Miracle Whip (prefer this over regular mayo on a BLT) half inch thick slices of probably the best heirloom tomato I have had all summer, huge portion of iceberg lettuce and a healthy dose of cracked pepper. Due to some kind of pavlovian response, I ate a half dill pickle immediately after so it still felt kind of like lunch. Regardless, I am still on board the BLT as breakfast bandwagon now. Too bad I didn't realize this at the beginning of tomato season instead of the end...

The thought of BLT had never entered my mind as a breakfast item. Heather's post inspired me and I made my version this morning, wheat toast, turkey bacon, Miracle Whip (prefer this over regular mayo on a BLT) half inch thick slices of probably the best heirloom tomato I have had all summer, huge portion of iceberg lettuce and a healthy dose of cracked pepper
One of my favorite breakfasts (not made at home) is the "Breakfat Usual" at Jack's Place in Alexandria. It's basically a BLT with cheese and an egg - so yummy!
Due to some kind of pavlovian response, I ate a half dill pickle immediately after so it still felt kind of like lunch.
And I usually request a dill pickle with it, too :lol:

On request from the kids, did what they referred to as the full breakfast. Hash browns, susage, ham toast and omelets. Also had bunch of left over pan cakes from yesterday's breakfast. Not exactly light and may have been the reason, I never made it out of the house today.

I accidently over boiled the potatos last night (I usually par boil the potatos for quicker fry in the morning). I'm not sure if it was the cause but everyone notice the potatos were crispier. I wonder if over boiling makes this occur?