Breakfast - The Early-Morning, Polyphonic Food Blog

txaggie

Half coffee beans, half original teeccino, ground together with a few tiny chunks of Penzey's cassia. Instead of my usual goat milk lately, I've been adoring how almond milks plays along so nicely with the cinnamon.

If you don't already have one, an aerolatte will make your morning brew all the more satisfying. Just make sure to warm your milk first, lest foam allude you.

Breakfast? Satisfaction like this *is* breakfast. But the rest of it will come to mind eventually...

Bob's Red Mill steel-cut oatmeal cooked with coconut milk, cinnamon stick and vanilla bean, cardamom, nutmeg and ginger

served with butter, grade b maple syrup and heavy cream

Peet's cappuccino

so delicious--like a really good dessert, and a fitting reward after a strenuous hour of snow shovelling.

yesterday:

scrambled eggs with onion and home cured/hot smoked salmon

whole grain toast

Peet's cappuccini

Today:

Bite sized shredded wheat (Giant)

organic blueberries (Balducci's)

Organic skim milk (Whole Foods)

600mg of calcium with Vitamin D (CVS)

Hmmm!

Steel cut oats cooked in coconut water, a teaspoon of candied ginger, and a hefty punch of salt via the porridge setting of the fuzzy logic rice cooker. Once the cheery chimer chirped, topped with freshly toasted almond slivers.

Take that, winter.

post-5654-126572905017_thumb.jpg

Green smoothie, featuring a Fuji apple (locally grown), mango, two kale leaves, goji berry powder, almond milk (Blue Diamond), and a couple of fresh Medjool dates to sweeten.

Delicious. And the chem-free, human equivalent of Miracle-Gro.

But next time, an opaque glass.

My kingdom for an opaque glass.

post-5654-126753158079_thumb.jpg

I have kitchen-sink fritattas all the time. They are comfort food brunches.

Many Saturday mornings, it's 3 eggs fried in a goodly 3 tbsp of Karousos extra virgin olive oil, with a sprinkling of kosher salt and pepper, then over easy, and the into a small bowl with a nice sprinkling of feta cheese on top. Black Mayorga coffee. To die for.

Other Saturday mornings, it's scrambled eggs (or egg whites), gently seasoned with sea salt and pepper, and then plated atop shredded shankleesh, the Middle Eastern cheese that will change your life. A wedge of warmed pita with that, some black Mayorga coffee....mmmm....!

Eggs Pulaski

My Polish version of Eggs Benedict, this takes the same English muffing and poached eggs, and adds a mushroom* sauce (white wine, Dijon, cream) in place of Hollandaise, and browned smoked kielbasa (Stackowski) in place of Canadian bacon.

The kielbasa is an excellent rendition of this Polish classic.

4431296261_e956b22e34.jpg

*I used crimini mushrooms as they are as close to Borowik's as you can get.

Grapefruit

Coffee

Buttermilk pancakes w maple syrup

Cracked a pale blue egg from Keswick for the first time to find the bright, orange sun from the past week reflected in the bowl.

(Last time I'll buy the fat-free, organic, grass-fed buttermilk from Natural By Nature, then on sale at WFM. Nothing like Trickling Springs's...or even Safeway's, though I imagine it's the "fat-free" part that is to blame.)

P.S. Leleboo, what I meant is that we ought to start a topic on trite words, i.e., one that ventures beyond the now, trite topic about alternatives to "foodie". I'm inspired to add this coda here because I just typed "grass-fed buttermilk": a phrase that is both trite and inaccurate since it leaves out the cow and its cud.

P.S. Leleboo, what I meant is that we ought to start a topic on trite words, i.e., one that ventures beyond the now, trite topic about alternatives to "foodie". I'm inspired to add this coda here because I just typed "grass-fed buttermilk": a phrase that is both trite and inaccurate since it leaves out the cow and its cud.

I understood, actually. That thread spun off a "words that bug you" thread that itself digressed so I think we can cobble one together! ;)

Confusingly, one of the best omelets of my life.

Broccolini left over from last night, hot peppadew peppers, Jehovah-Jireh eggs.

Flavor boost from Penzey’s Mural of Flavor, sea salt, freshly ground black peppercorn, and a whimsical dash of garlic powder.

(how did this happen?)

(is this not just a random Saturday?)

(why the awesome?)

post-5654-127091048424_thumb.jpg

Yesterday I tried Alton Brown's belgian waffle recipe - texturally the waffles came out great (when the waffle iron was on the highest setting, anyway - we like our waffles on the crisp side), but they didn't taste like much. Next time I'll try Emeril Lagasse's recipe, which involves vanilla and some spices.

Yesterday I tried Alton Brown's belgian waffle recipe - texturally the waffles came out great (when the waffle iron was on the highest setting, anyway - we like our waffles on the crisp side), but they didn't taste like much. Next time I'll try Emeril Lagasse's recipe, which involves vanilla and some spices.

I have a great lemon brown sugar batter recipe -- I've only used it for pancakes but I'm sure you could waffle it. Talk about flavor. :lol: I'll email you.

Garam Masala Banana Bites

This weekend, I noticed four overripe bananas on the counter, adjacent to an ostentatiously firm gala apple. Slapped the apple into the food processor, stirred that into the mashed bananas, added a healthy amount of garam masala, golden raisins, and pumpkin seeds. Spooned onto the trays of the Excalibur (food dehydrator) around 110 degrees. Twenty hours later, banana leather "cookies" emerged.

Sweet, savory, hint-of-hint spicy, with fascinating textures from chewy and crunchy ingredients. Delicious and unusual breakfast, all the more satisfying via produce salvation.

(pic is from yesterday; pre-dehydrating)

(too lazy to break out the camera this morning)

(loving the dehydrator)

post-5654-127289196845_thumb.jpg

Blue egg, poached three minutes

Struan toast

Quark

Blueberries, strawberries and slivers of orange

Two cups coffee w local, creamy, organic whole milk...........

all before a long walk beside babbling creek on the first perfectly beautiful really like spring again day we've had for quite some time!

Ezekiel bread cinnamon raisin English muffin, split & toasted, with:

*Bethesda Co-Op's freshly ground crunchy peanut butter

*Food Matters' strawberry jam, from last year's stashes

(Phase 1: Collect Sprouted Grains)

(Phase 2: ?)

(Phase 3: Prophet)

OK, this is just about the 50th frittata that I've posted! What can I say? It uses up leftovers in the most delicious way. So, this one is chopped, seasoned steak fries, crisped pancetta, feta and sun dried tomato spread, campari tomatoes and basil.

4716551037_3fbd86d89d_b.jpg

Dedicated to I-Love-Summer-Heather:

Cantaloupe

Very hot coffee

Buttermilk corn cakes w blackberries, maple syrup, lemon and dab of sour cream

Yellow corn (and melon) purchased from Garner's Wednesday on granite, no shade, in 105 F heat.

Amazing. Best yet, but personal preference is for yellow vs. sweeter white or bi-color. (Berries microwave-poached.) And whoever told me to go to Takoma Food Co-op for Trickling Spring's buttermilk, thanks!

Cheesy bread-this is on of our favorites from back when we were dating in Richmond, VA. Local stores, including Ellwood Thompson's sold Billy Bread, an amazing loaf. We'd slice it, butter it, top with cheddar, and then bake it off in a toaster oven.

Today, we sliced a loaf I baked yesterday and topped with cheddar and provoline.