Scrappy's Bagel Bar - Weekend Bagel Pop-Up by Chefs Rob and Deb Rubba inside of Estadio, Logan Circle

On 3/27/2020 at 4:22 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

Thought it might give each other ideas based on where and what you're ordering for take-out or delivery.  

Super tasty takeaway from SCRAPPY's Bagel Bar, an 11AM to 2PM Sat/Sun pop-up located at Estadio in DC by Chef Rob Rubba and his wife Chef Deb Rubba.  On Saturday night at 8PM, I pre ordered online via Toast and scheduled my pickup for 11AM on Sunday at the entrance of Estadio.  So grateful I got to enjoy this delectable Spring Bialy of Ramps, Mushrooms, Ramp Cream + Pea Shoots AND Everything Bagel w/ Ramp Cream, which didn't make the photo!  I highly recommend following SCRAPPY's Bagel Bar stories on Instagram for the latest updates.  The chew, texture and taste is perfection.  Best fresh bialy and bagel I've had in a long time!

880803990__01copy.jpg.c8e8e507e6115ab4e7a2acd0c8bbfa56.jpg

• Like 2

My Sunday morning joy from SCRAPPY's Bagel Bar popup:

• B.C.T. is my favorite bagel sandwich elevated by Deb Rubba's Bacon Jam made with Nate Anda's Bacon from Red Apron, Cream Cheese and Heirloom Tomato from Root & Marrow Farm on a SCRAPPY's Smoked Salt Bagel.  Insanely delicious beyond words.
  • SCRAPPY's Pizza Bagel is my favorite bagel.  Tomato sauce is perfection along with the chew on the bagel and provolone cheese.  Just a dream!

_01a copy.jpg_02 copy.jpg_03 copy.jpg_04b copy.jpg

19 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Bialy is short for Białystoker kuchen ("cake from Białystok" in English)
named after the town Białystok ("White Slope" in English), originally settled in the 1200s,
which was itself named after the Biała Rzeka, ("White River" in English).

Bialy does not have anything to do with the color of Rob Rubba's baked goods. Even Kossar's own video about making bialys says, "... Place them in the oven for about ten minutes. Remove them golden brown ..."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don,

Thank you for taking the time in explaining the roots of a bialy and mentioning Kossars. A favorite New York Jewish Deli of ours in New York especially for super tasty and fun bialys 

I read the the bagels vs rolls with holes post. 
And found it informative and educational. 

little background: 

we use organic high gluten bread flour 

our bagels our hand rolled 

proofed for almost 24 hours as they should be 

boiled and baked. 

Same dough and process sans the boil are used on our bialy. 

I am a New Jersey native who grew up eating bagels my entire life as well as living and working in NYC for many years. 

• Like 3

Trying to get this discussion back to the food. I've been eating bialys for a long. long time (RI had great Jewish bakeries, anyone who had the pleasure of trying "sissel bread' will agree). Anyway, I would agree that bialys often have what could be called a yellowish hue. Not as yellow as an egg bagel, more of a pastel.

In any event, the real key to a good bialy is the amount of chopped onion/poppy seed mix in the middle.

I've never really had a yellowish crumb, but the crust at Kossar's is definitely on the yellower side of brown. Kossars used a modest amount of schmeer but it is oily and meltingly soft. I grew up with a small bagel producer by me called Western Bagel. They were open 24 hours and so late night after poker runs were common. If you went then, the retail baskets were empty and you got your bagels fresh off the cooling rack. 13 to the dozen. Of course, they had Bialys. In my memory, bigger than Kossars with less of a toothy texture, but still better than anything I have had otherwise. They appear to still be in business at the same location and still family owned. But they are now packaging their bagels in plastic bags, while in the old days, they only did bulk. 

1 hour ago, Bob Wells said:

In any event, the real key to a good bialy is the amount of chopped onion/poppy seed mix in the middle.

I totally agree. I don't care if it is traditional or not (I only eat bialys on occasion), but I like a good amount of the onion mix in the middle of my bialy - because that is what makes it special. I was happy to enjoy some good bagels from Bullfrog Bagel's very popular food truck in Tenleytown (next to City Bikes) over the weekend but disappointed by the bialy which had only a speck (two small bites) of onion mix in the center.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KeithA said:

I totally agree. I don't care if it is traditional or not (I only eat bialys on occasion), but I like a good amount of the onion mix in the middle of my bialy - because that is what makes it special. I was happy to enjoy some good bagels from Bullfrog Bagel's very popular food truck in Tenleytown (next to City Bikes) over the weekend but disappointed by the bialy which had only a speck (two small bites) of onion mix in the center.

There's an even rarer treat for onion/poppy mix aficionados called an onion pletzel or onion board. Several recipes out there but would love to find a bakery that sells them.

The last ones we bought were from the late Flakowitz Bakery in West Boca Raton, FL, but these recipes show what they should look like.

1 hour ago, Bob Wells said:

There's an even rarer treat for onion/poppy mix aficionados called an onion pletzel or onion board. Several recipes out there but would love to find a bakery that sells them.

The last ones we bought were from the late Flakowitz Bakery in West Boca Raton, FL, but these recipes show what they should look like.

Don't even get me started on Cebularz.

• Like 1

From Saturday, May 16, 2020, beautiful Sapidus Farms Oysters w/ Ramp Mignonette (Keepwell Vinegar) that I shucked for the first time.  

I purchased my Oyster Oyster Shuck Kit for $36 online via Tock on Friday from SCRAPPY'S Bagel Bar Pop-up.  On Saturday, I picked up at Estadio Restaurant.  Included in the kit were 1 dozen Sapidus Farms Oysters, Ramp Mignonette, 1 Oyster Shucking Knife, 1 Kitchen Towel and 1 set of easy instructions to follow.   

Oyster kits are still offered online at SCRAPPY'S and will feature a merrior tour each weekend.  You can order Friday starting at 2PM for Saturday pickup and order Saturday starting at 2PM for Sunday pickup.  Once you have your Oyster Shucking Knife, Kitchen Towel and set of easy instructions, you can purchase just a dozen oysters w/ sauce or other various kits.

And the Spring Bialy, Pizza Bagel, Bagel Sandwiches and assortment of Bagels and Schmears are super tasty.

sapidus.jpg.1746eca7f5264936a85e003ed55e94d7.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 12:23 AM, Ericandblueboy said:

I’ve never seen a brown/yellow bialy in my life. ‘Bialy” means white in Polish

Rob Rubba is really making some tremendous bagels. I know that memory is biased towards the recent, but today I got, among other things, a Lox Everything Bagel ($11) - an Everything Bagel with smoked salmon, whipped cream cheese, pickled red onions, and capers - and while I was eating it (on the way home (yes, it was a mess, but I didn't care)), I swore that both the bagel and the salmon were the best I've ever eaten. I've had the best of Manhattan and Montreal, but there's something about hand-crafting a bagel that adds an x-factor (both in terms of quality and price (each bagel is $2.25)).

The Spring Bialy ($9.50) is made with fresh-to-market sugar-snap peas, Karma Farms purple snow peas, tender Spring lettuces, radish, garlic scape crema, and baked egg. It's the garlic scape crema and baked egg that lend a yellowish color to this otherwise golden-brown beauty - they aren't just smeared on top; they become part of the bialy itself.

Bialy.jpg

I spent more money here than I've ever spent at a bagelry by a factor of five, but when you come here, you're not just paying for bagels; you're paying for a craftsman, working at a wood-burning oven (that may sound excessive, but it's true).

• Like 3

Insanely delicious Sunday morning pickup from SCRAPPY's Bagel Bar:

• Spring Bialy w/ Sugar Snap & Purple Snow Peas from Karma Farms, tender Spring Lettuces, Garlic Scape Crema and Baked Egg 
  • B.C.G. w/ Bacon Jam (bacon from Nate Anda), Whipped Cream Cheese, Karma Farms Spring Greens, Pickled Onions on Salt Bagel Sandwich
  • Pizza Bagel w/ Organic Tomato Sauce, Provolone Cheese and Fresh Herbs

This was the first time I have ordered the Spring Bialy with a baked egg.  The cross-sectional view shows all the layers of ingredients.  Beautifully crafted and executed by Rob Rubba!  I look forward each weekend to see what new creations make it to the menu.

18581079__02bcopy.jpg.beb6d88405a189be688e8ac402e06d8a.jpg1829051981__03copy.jpg.498502935d819751436a71b9677e77c5.jpg921751789__01acopy.jpg.89b9e16c691dc5c766eb46454e28db14.jpg

• Like 2

REPOST from SCRAPPY's Bagel Bar on Tock:

** ANNOUNCEMENT FOR 6/6-6/7 **
Scrappy's team will be taking a pause on bagels this weekend. Instead, we'll be cooking and serving meals (vegetarian) for Estadio's Community Kitchen. We're here to support our neighbors and community.

We welcome anyone and everyone to come and get some daily nourishment, from distraught peaceful protesters and freedom fighters to all the good cops trying to do their best to protect our community. From locals overwhelmed by the militarization around their homes, to business owners consumed with cleaning up their damaged storefronts, to visitors displaced during these trying times. From the very financially secure to those of you scraping to get by right now, the best thing we know how to do is feed you, and taking a moment to say a quick hello to try to fill our days with more love, compassion and moments of joy.
Estadio will be retaining up to $1k of the donations each day to help offset, but not completely cover, our costs, and will be dividing any excess proceeds evenly for donation to @campaignzero @innocenceproject @blackvisionscollective and @blacklivesmatterdc
Beverages will be available for purchase, but otherwise our daily offerings will be limited to our tasty community meals. We ask those of you who can afford to do so to pay what you might usually spend on a nice dinner, and we encourage you to send anyone you know would benefit from a good, free or inexpensive meal our way!
We hope a little nourishment for all is at least a baby step for healing. We hope that peace, justice, and freedom for all soon prevail and that we can soon feel good about moving to resume our “normal” operations.
Thank you for your support in these tough times. Together we will get through to brighter days soon!

To order a meal or to donate, please head to: www.toasttab.com/estadio
Weekend meal pickup will be posted at 7pm on Friday.

• Like 2