Chili oils, chili condiments etc

deangold

Over the past 2 days I put up a whole lot of spicy condiments.

Sunday;Thai

Fish sauce & lime juice w/garlic & fresh chilis {Nam Pla Prik}

Chiles w/sugar, MSG. salt, garlic & rice vinegar {Prik Nasom}

Prik Dong {thai chiles in rice vinegar}

Prik Si Iew Wan {chiles in sweet soy sauce, this is going to be amazing, the bhii extraction into the thick, sweet dark soy is slow and complex.}

King Ki Mao {ginger in bourbon, rice vinegar & fish sauce. Never heard this one before but I cannot wait to try. }

Monday hot chili oils {all made with half Indian mustard oil and half virgin peanut oil, all involved heating oil to high temps {190c+ and then pouring the oils over the chili flakes 3 to 5 times}

Chili oil w/lots of toasted Korean gochujang red pepper flakes, Sichuan red peppercorn powder {toasted and ground at home}fresh chilis, garlic, MSG, salt, black vinegar, sesame oil & soy. Blindingly hot. The oil was infused w/cinnamon, fresh scallion, garlic & ginger, allspice, black pepper, black cumin, star anise}

Sichuan inspired chili sauce w/Korean red pepper flakes, Aleppo flakes, Sichuan red peppercorn powder, soy, black vinegar, salt, sugar, msg. The oil was infused w/cinnamon, fresh scallion, garlic & ginger, allspice, black pepper, black cumin, black cardamon, star anise} This is more of a dumpling/noodle style chili oil/sauce. Blindingly hot.

Sichuan hot chile oil The oil was infused w/sichuan red and green peppercorns, cinnamon, fresh scallion, garlic & ginger, allspice, black pepper, black cumin, black cardamon, star anise} and poured over Korean pepper flakes. I have not decided if this is to be strained or left on the crispy flakes. I have enough of it to make 2 batches. Blindingly hot, more of a cooking ingredient than a condiment.

Chili Crisp {inspired by a video on Chinese Cooking Demystified where some of the only people in the world more into detailed descriptions of the food they cook than me, riff on Lao Gan Ma chili crisps, Reddit link here, but this was my own riff on a riff} Again ,the combo of oils was infused with nfused w/cinnamon, fresh scallion, garlic & ginger, allspice, black pepper, black cumin, black cardamon, star anise. But in this recipe, all the ingredients were fried in the oil as opposed to using a hot pourover technique. Ingredients: fresh Thai chilis, Sichuan mixed preserved veggies, fermented w/ginger black beans soaked in Bourbon, not having baijou, fermented preserved bean curd, fresh ginger & garlic, homemade and hand ground sichuan redpeppercorn powder, Korean red chili flakes both toasted and not, Aleppo pepper flakes, salt, sugar & MSG. This is pretty amazing already and will improve for a week. More flavorful and not all that spicy, but still pretty fiery. Worth the prep time and the long, staged cook time.

Sichuan peppercorn oil. Infused oils: ginger & garlic & cardamon then red & green Sichuan peppercorns were cooked in the hot oil & strained. Not spicy but very tingly and aromatic. A cooking condiment.

Projects still to come: Scallion oil. Garlic oil. Ginger Green onion oil. But I need more mustard, and virgin peanut oils. These oils are available at India Bazaar in Falls Church for not a lot of money {like $15 a gallon, $5 a quart. I used up 2 quarts total, 1 of each. I am looking for virgin or unrefines rapeseed oil.

A lesson relearned: Nitrile gloves keep all the chili heat on the glove and no contamination of hands underneath. 

Successes besides the wonderful sauces/condiments:

I did touch my eyes, nose or penis while I was wearing my chili infused nitrile gloves.

I got a 4 oz jar of mixed hot oils which went beautifully on our dumplings for dinner.

I did all the hot chili work on a plastic cutting board and not my wood one so no left over chili heat cross contiminating into everything. 

I did not infuse the air of the apartment with chili to the point where Kay had to be rushed to the emergency room. Spot was upset but then again, Spot is always upset. He just demanded greenies. When he woke up later. 

Did I mention I did not touch my penis with chili infected gloves?

Lasting question to ponder: re: virgin mustard oil, peanut oil, rapeseed oil. How do you define virgin if the seeds/nuts do not take part in penetrative sex? How do you f^ck a mustard seed if they are?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, deangold said:

Did I mention I did not touch my penis with chili infected gloves?

If i were to be buried, this might go on my tombstone. But alas, I will be cremated and Kay will hold a party with lots of good wine. I hope she charged and makes some bank. 

We must be on the same spice kick Deangold. During last week's grocery run, I went to Lotte and picked up several items you mentioned with the idea of making Sichuan Chicken, Doenjang Jjigae and Jae Chae Noodles. My wife has requested some Japanese cooked items as well but we're just doing one new dish a week! 

I have been watching Chinese Cooking Demystified, too. They do a really good job at explaining the intricacies of Chinese cooking and suggesting substitutes for items that you may not be able to purchase easily. 

With Korean food, we found a couple of Dolsot cooking bowls in the back of our cupboard that vaguely remember purchasing eight years ago. Back then had the idea of branching out to try it at home but of course having a kid and other life moments let that idea slip away.

Unfortunately, my first attempt at Sichuan Chicken was not with Chinese Cooking Demystified's recipe because of time and needed to cook the chicken that night. The modified recipe I found was good but both my wife and I felt like it should have had more of a Sichuan peppercorn favor like HKP's does. 

Are you using a wok or frying pan to make your chilies? Gas or butane burner? A Chinese friend who is a private chef mentioned that getting the heat hot enough with the wok makes a substantial difference terms with the wok-y caramelization flavor profile with good Chinese food.