Killer ESP (Espresso, Snacks, Pie) - Owner Rob Shelton's Independent Coffeehouse in Chinatown and Alexandria

DonRocks

On 12/26/2015 at 2:21 PM, DonRocks said:

There's also Killer ESP in Old Town.

I've never been, but I've heard the service is friendly, but very slow; their WiFi is reportedly even slower. In other words, it's arch-hipster. :)

They use Stumptown Roasters from Portland, and are a legitimate Independent Coffee House.

The Entire Staff Quit Over This Coffee Shop’s Racist and Covid-Denying Tweets. The Owner Claims They’re Not His, by Jessica Sidman, June 16, 2020, on washingtonian.com.

I am speechless.

16 minutes ago, dcs said:

I notice that he claims not to have written the tweets, but when he makes comments about his beliefs, they seem to line up more or less with the content of the tweets.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pat said:

I notice that he claims not to have written the tweets, but when he makes comments about his beliefs, they seem to line up more or less with the content of the tweets.

At first I read the article, and I was thinking, 'Well maybe - maybe - he's right about the twitter account,' but then his thoughts turned out to be "Dark-Enlightened."

By "Dark-Enlightened" (I just made that term up when I was typing the previous sentence), I mean that it's a microcosm of the entire USA (not every individual, of course, but The Problem We All Live With (*)) - so many closed-minded people are living under the assumption that they are open-minded, loudly proclaiming that they support "all viewpoints" (inevitably, "all viewpoints" include viewpoints that are positively deplorable) - often, the Dark-Enlightened will post statistics showing how black-on-black violence is a huge problem, espouse the "rotten-apple" vs. the "rotten-orchard" stance about police, and would gladly attend rallies en masse sans masque. I hate to generalize, but I can ... easily (and I'm not saying this about the owner, who I don't know at all, but the Dark-Enlightened genre en général). Sorry to spin off-topic.

(*) problem.jpg "The Problem We All Live With" (1964), Norman Rockwell

4 hours ago, dcs said:

Veering between sharing your reaction and about to explode.  Forget the crazy political and social views for a second, who thinks that treating employees like this is remotely acceptable?  What made them stick around for so long?  Not blaming the victims, but we've got to do better teaching people to out this early and often.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zgast said:

Veering between sharing your reaction and about to explode.  Forget the crazy political and social views for a second, who thinks that treating employees like this is remotely acceptable?  What made them stick around for so long?  Not blaming the victims, but we've got to do better teaching people to out this early and often.

It is hard to be the first one to speak out so I am glad you are not victim shaming. But he threw his employees under the bus as well as harassed them. This is beyond my comprehension on his part. 

• Like 1