20 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

I read that article and read some of the comments.  It is a vindictive and vicious piece and that's how most people felt (or so it seems to me).

"Apparently I Don't Understand the World Anymore, Because this Story, from and about The Washington Post, Makes No Sense to Me at All (Or Maybe It Does)..." on ethicsalarm.com

Last night, the Post was monitoring and withholding every comment, releasing them only in small batches, and deleting many of them (including the words I typed in the initial post above (which I had originally submitted as a comment at around 9:30 PM)).

---

Oct 13, 2006 - "You Be the Columnist: Culpeper Steak" by Marc Fisher on washingtonpost.com [one of the authors of this article]

Michael Landrum's response on this website.

I am sorry, but the current Post article to me seems to be the kind of exposure to the causal nature with which white people accept racist behavior. 

I had customers at the Grotto and Dino make comments about my staff based on race. They were kicked out or told off in no uncertain terms. I banned a regular customer from Dino over his unacceptable statements towards a team member of mine with visible challenges. It is unacceptable and you cannot accept it. 

Here was a quasi official affair and something unacceptable happened. When two BIPOC called out the woman in blackface, the hosts of the party were already in the wrong.She should have been asked to leave already. That one of the hosts did not provide the harrassed woman the full information and lied about it, he became complicit. If this had been a dinner party with just friends, the fact that the hosts were insensitive and complicit in a racist act could have remained private or could have become an issue affecting attendees. But that is not what happened here.

This is one of those parties where you have a large number of people who work at the post attended. It became a quasi official affair because of this. Workplace harassment can happen on the job, but it can happen at social events. And this workplace is the Washington Post. And Toles is a Pulitzer prize winning member of the Post's editorial page. And he blew it. 

What should happen? To me, this article is the bare minimum. I do think HR at the post should be investigating it if they are not already. I think Mr. Toles has opened himself up to public scorn. Should he be fired? I am not doing the investigation and I do not have input from the harassed employee. But this should not be swept under the rug and especially Mr. Toles does not get a pass because of liberal cred.

This situation is very similar to me as outing. There are a lot of people who think outing a political figure with a track record of anti LGBT action is wrong. I am not one of them. When people in power use their positions to harm and hide, there need to be consequences. Aaron Shock was outed not because he was gay, but because he was actively harming gay families by lying about who he was and using his position to inflict that harm.

This case is not the same, and Mr Toles offence not at the same level. But his outing is a good thing as was Shocks. 

I don't know if this offends any one, but if it does so I will be glad to know and eliminate you from my life. I don't have time for casual white supremacy. Our country does not. 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, deangold said:

I don't know if this offends any one, but if it does so I will be glad to know and eliminate you from my life.

I can only speak for myself, but I cannot imagine anyone of intelligence being offended by this.

22 hours ago, deangold said:

Thanks

Don't thank me: Just to be clear, I wrote, "being offended by," not "disagreeing with."

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, DonRocks said:

"Amy Coney Barrett Served as a 'Handmaid' in Christian Group People of Praise" by Emma Brown, Jon Swaine, and Michelle Boorstein on washingtonpost.com

A Handmaid? You want to talk about POTUS and his "dog whistles?" The first thing that popped into my mind when I read this was David Howard.

Note also the semi-crosseyed photo of Barrett.

Was "Handmaid" not her official title in the group? If (as reported) Handmaid was Coney Barrett's title, the WaPo is just reporting accurately. Also see no semi-crosseyed photo, but am looking at the web edition and have found that the pictures on the mobile version sometimes differ.