Wardman Park Hotel

Mark Slater

2 hours ago, Mark Slater said:

I worked here briefly in the 80's. It was hilarious to watch all the empty restaurants, and then at 7:00 PM, 2.500 people all remember its time to eat. 

You know all those terrible restaurants in Woodley Park, on the northwest corner of Connecticut Ave. and Calvert St. NW?

Wave goodbye. I would not want to be the owner of those properties right about now.

• Like 1

The first two trips I made to Washington (in the mid-70s) were attending Close-Up. We stayed at the then Sheraton-Park at that site.

Brings back memories, including the time I came down with the flu (or something similar) and nearly passed out in the FBI Building. I had to make my own way back to the hotel. This was...interesting. I can't recall which of the trips that was on but probably the second one.

Wow.  My dad used to stay there sometimes when he came to town for work. I'd go over and visit him, and we would eat either at Mama Ayesha's or (his favorite) New Heights.

I liked it better when he stayed there than when he stayed at the Hinkley Hilton. Once Cafe Petitio closed anyhow. I liked getting treated to dinner at New Heights.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DonRocks said:

You know all those terrible restaurants in Woodley Park, on the northwest corner of Connecticut Ave. and Calvert St. NW?

Wave goodbye. I would not want to be the owner of those properties right about now.

I was eating at New Heights one night when John Wabeck was the chef. The owner had sent most of the staff home. Typical for the neighborhood,  a party of 30 from the hotel dropped in. Chaos ensued.

• Like 1

I agree that the restaurants in that area will get crushed, but I am a Mama Ayesha's fan. On days where they have the stuffed cabbage special (malfoof) or the kibbeh nayeh is fresh, it's as good a Middle Eastern meal as can be had in that part of the District, and it has survived for generations.I have a feeling it will be there post-pandemic. I'll play wait-and-see on Lebanese Taverna, but their take out business has been strong.

But the rest of them...? Probably not going to last.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

I agree that the restaurants in that area will get crushed, but I am a Mama Ayesha's fan.

I am too. We have had takeout from there several times recently. Still good.

• Like 1