Outdoor Kitchen

MarkS

Next Years project is an outdoor kitchen.   We have a lower area on our deck which is 10x12 and has both gas and electric underneath.  If you have an outdoor kitchen what appliances did you install and would you make same decision today.

I find myself grilling everyday and having an egg as well as a grill seems to open up more possibilities. 

11 hours ago, DaRiv18 said:

I love my propane wok, having a gas line would be even better. Not sure if a water line is feasible, but having a sink is very handy. 

Can you describe your propane wok setup? 

I've had a big green egg since I moved out to Great Falls in June.  I couldn't be more pleased with the purchase.  We've done pizza (awesome), pork butts, dry aged steaks, ribs, brisket, clams and lobsters on it - and in my view each has been better from its time over the fire.  I don't have a full blown outdoor kitchen (yet) so I bought the acacia wood table for it which has been nice.  The big piece of advice I'd give is, if you're going to get one - and you plan on entertaining - get an XL.  You won't regret the extra space.

As you work on your outdoor set up - I'd welcome thoughts on specific contractors as within the next 12 months I foresee embarking on a similar project.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rovers2000 said:

I've had a big green egg since I moved out to Great Falls in June.  I couldn't be more pleased with the purchase.  We've done pizza (awesome), pork butts, dry aged steaks, ribs, brisket, clams and lobsters on it - and in my view each has been better from its time over the fire.  I don't have a full blown outdoor kitchen (yet) so I bought the acacia wood table for it which has been nice.  The big piece of advice I'd give is, if you're going to get one - and you plan on entertaining - get an XL.  You won't regret the extra space.

As you work on your outdoor set up - I'd welcome thoughts on specific contractors as within the next 12 months I foresee embarking on a similar project.

Thanks for the advice.  XL egg it will be.  We really like Danver cabinets and will probably lean towards Lynx for a grill and burner.  Need to plan in the fall so this get installed next Spring.

If you’re considering a Big Green Egg, I recommend looking at a Kamado Joe as well. They are both very well made kamado cookers. I went with the Kamado Joe... it came with accessories that I wanted and was cheaper than the Big Green Egg. Also, the Kamado Joe comes with a hinge that makes it easy to open and close the lid. When you try to open & close the lids on the larger Big Green Eggs, it requires a bit of muscle. The hinge on the Kamado Joe makes the weight of the lid a non issue.

17 hours ago, MarkS said:

Thanks for the advice.  XL egg it will be.  We really like Danver cabinets and will probably lean towards Lynx for a grill and burner.  Need to plan in the fall so this get installed next Spring.

I haven't noticed the above re: the hinge - though I think the BGE redid their hinges a couple years back.  I didn't do a lot of comparison shopping between the kamodo's - so I can't speak to kamodo joe.  

A couple other egg related things:

- I ordered mine from the Organic Butcher of McLean.  The prices are largely stable since BGE I think is pretty heavy headed on that - but I've supported the organic butcher for awhile and was glad to spend the money with them.  I would advise that wherever you order from, have them do delivery and set up vs. assembling yourself (if you go this route, its a 2 person job)

- You can go absolutely bonkers with accessories.  A couple I've really enjoyed:  Joe-Tisserie (made for the aforementioned Kamodo Joe but the "big joe" version seamlessly fits the Egg) which adds a really nice rotisserie capability - he chickens / picahanna I've made this way have been tremendous.  I've also ordered some add ons from the ceramic grill store (based in Texas).  The woo ring and the grill expander have been nice on a couple fronts.  Having multiple levels has allowed me to run a huge amount of meat (I made some pandemic care packages of bbq a couple weeks back) - think a 10lb brisket, 2 8 lb pork shoulders and 2 racks of ribs at the same time.  Additionally the woo ring gives me the ability to lift a pizza stone or pizza steel up into the dome and has really upped my pizza game.

- I would recommend getting yourself used to regulating the temperature without one, but eventually - get yourself a fan (I like the flameboss 500) with a Wi-Fi connection.  I have no interest in staying up all night to watch the temps, so this has allowed me to run a consistent temp for up to 20 hours so far without hovering over the egg.  It was nice to check via the app while I was on the golf course the other day and see it easily holding 225 all day and coming home to perfectly done pulled pork.

- The kick ash basket and bucket are awesome (but also ridiculous from an expense perspective for what is essentially two pieces of fabricated steel...alas, I am not handy in any way) in terms of easy of clean up and clean burning

- The BGE has a lifetime warranty against cracks etc - just make sure you get the receipt info from whoever you buy it from as you request replacements through the dealer

• Like 2

If I was buying my BGE all over again, I would get some sort of indirect cooking insert, a fan, the expander, and a skillet (I have a half-moon one for mine). 

I am interested in getting the rotisserie accessory, but was dissuaded by this video (and its attitude) years back:

Still, I always wanted to get one. 

I use my BGE more often for slow and low meals. Also for smoking. The wok I like because it is less of a commitment to flame on and the meals skew healthier.  But nothing beats a good burger or a brick chicken on that skillet!