Happy Gyro - Komi's Superb, (Mostly) Vegetarian Carryout

23 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Isn't it remarkable how close "appealing" and "appalling" are?

This is completely unrelated to Komi, Happy Gyro or this thread, but the line above made me think of this Mark Twain quote:

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.
- Letter to George Bainton, 15 October 1888

• Like 3

If there is a better pizza being made in the DMV right now, someone needs to let me know.  I had the one Rocks had the other day and the one with italian sausage and red sauce from last week and I was amazed on the quality of the very different pies.  

Johnny continues to impress after all these years, a truly transcendent talent that has chosen to stick around in this area.  Lucky us.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, DPop said:

If there is a better pizza being made in the DMV right now, someone needs to let me know.  I had the one Rocks had the other day and the one with italian sausage and red sauce from last week and I was amazed on the quality of the very different pies.  

Johnny continues to impress after all these years, a truly transcendent talent that has chosen to stick around in this area.  Lucky us.

Watermelon/fig/yogurt popsicles.  Yeah, they're delish.

• Like 3

I want to shout from the rooftops about Happy Gyro's Heirloom Cucumber Crudité ($9) - a selection of Dragon Egg, Armenian Snake, Lemon, and Potato Cucumbers, sliced and served with a dill-fill of *really* good ranch dressing.

Left in the refrigerator overnight, and served chilled, this was an exercise in both pomology and hedonism.

When you order your dinner at Happy Gyro *tonight*, get an order of these, leave them in the refrigerator, and have them for lunch tomorrow.

• Like 1

Just when I thought their pizzas couldn't get any better, we ordered this week's pie featuring fresh peaches, olives, salami and red onions. It was fantastic! Ours had a tomato vodka sauce that I really enjoyed. It also was available with a creamy garlic sauce. As always, the crust was perfect. I also loved their new dessert offering--a goat cheese gelato with blackberry and shortbread. Heavenly. 

• Like 3

If it is on the menu, treat yourself to Happy Gyro's Basque cheesecake. I am not crazy about traditional cheesecake, and I had never had Basque cheesecake before, but I certainly will order it again. The outside was deliciously caramelized, while the inside was oh so creamy. After admiring the beautiful burnt exterior, I drizzled the berry sauce on top. I thought nothing could top Happy Gyro's gelato, but this is just as good, if not better.

• Like 4

100% agree about the cheesecake. I'm typically not one for cheesecake, but this was spectacular. Also spectacular was everything else we ordered: pizza, fig/tomato salad, lamb gyro (with that homemade pita!), squash with yogurt, olive oil gelato, goat cheese blackberry gelato. Happy Gyro is executing takeout with a level of craftsmanship and care that puts other places to shame.

We got the speck pizza and the flavor and texture blew me away. I was admittedly a little skeptical of how good these pizzas could be compared to other top notch pizza places, but I was delightfully surprised. 

What's the spicy kick in the goat cheese blackberry gelato? Maybe cayenne? That kick makes it even more addictive than it might be otherwise.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, horacebailey14 said:

We got the speck pizza and the flavor and texture blew me away. I was admittedly a little skeptical of how good these pizzas could be compared to other top notch pizza places, but I was delightfully surprised. 

We couldn't decide between two of the pizzas last Tuesday, so we got them both.

Screenshot 2020-10-26 at 17.35.53.png

We were blown away by takeout from Happy Gyro on Saturday evening. The gyro was great, according to my wife, and my celery root reuben (v 3.0) was outsize and interesting. I understood the reuben-(esque?) overtones, I think, with (perhaps?) braised, corned celery root stepping in as the 'meat'.

The sides were similarly fabulous, the corn/orzo/carrot/halloumi salad delicious, as was the gigante beans/spinach dish.

Pizza next time, I expect, but we had to start with gyros and that reuben, and are very happy that we did.

Happy to see they started incorporating meats into their menu!  Tried the lamb souvlaki pita and waffle fries last night and both were very good.  Excited to try out the pork shoulder pita next time too.

For me this has easily been the highlight of quarantine takeout - I just wished they offered a more convenient delivery service than Skip the Line.

1 hour ago, Ericandblueboy said:

When you go pick up, do you just park the car in front (with blinkers on)?

You can do that, there is an outdoor table at the bottom of the stairs leading up to Komi for picking up food. Or, when you receive your confirmation, they include a phone number to text upon arrival and they will bring the food to your car. 

17th street has become pretty much a 1.5 lane road with lots of outdoor tents lining the streets. But pick up outside of Happy Gyro was easy. 

• Like 1

Last night:  White pizza with cotechino-spiced kabocha squash, arugula & egg; Lamb souvlaki; Fig salad; Sweet potato, orzo & corn Salad; grilled kabocha squash with lime yogurt, hazelnut-garum vinaigrette, scallions, anchovy, nuts and dairy; Sesame ice cream with shortbread & sungold honey; Beeswax ice cream & cashew brittle.  All great.  The grilled squash was the biggest surprise.

• Like 3

I didn't think I could love any dessert more than Happy Gyro's Olive Oil Gelato and Cocoa Crumble until their Basque Cheesecake came along. Now both of these have been topped. Happy Gyro's Brown Butter Ice Cream with Passionfruit and Chocolate takes frozen dessert to a whole new level. I can't think of an ice cream I have enjoyed more. Creamy, delicious and texturally interesting. This one is a winner.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, DIShGo said:

I didn't think I could love any dessert more than Happy Gyro's Olive Oil Gelato and Cocoa Crumble until their Basque Cheesecake came along. Now both of these have been topped. Happy Gyro's Brown Butter Ice Cream with Passionfruit and Chocolate takes frozen dessert to a whole new level. I can't think of an ice cream I have enjoyed more. Creamy, delicious and texturally interesting. This one is a winner.

Yeah, it is.  

Why mess with perfection? Our most recent pint of Brown Butter Passionfruit Ice Cream  had Chocowaffle instead of Chocolate. While this ice cream is still incredibly delicious, this change is not an improvement. I prefer the original contrast of dark chocolate with passionfruit instead of these sweeter waffle bits.

1 hour ago, DIShGo said:

Why mess with perfection? Our most recent pint of Brown Butter Passionfruit Ice Cream  had Chocowaffle instead of Chocolate. While this ice cream is still incredibly delicious, this change is not an improvement. I prefer the original contrast of dark chocolate with passionfruit instead of these sweeter waffle bits.

I agree, but we're talking a decline from 100% perfection to 98% perfection - I'm pretty sure the pastry chef was going for more textural contrast here, but the chocolate itself was plenty toothsome (sorry), and was different enough (texturally) than the passionfruit where it was perfect as it stood - Daisuke Utagawa's "cuisine of subtraction" and all that.

• Like 1

Pro tip: For those ordering both pizza and the (new-ish) Garlic Pita with Whipped Feta & Marinated Olives (and trust me, you want to order this) … you’ll quickly find out that the pita is a scarce and prized commodity. So when it’s gone, break off the cornicione of your pizza slices and swab liberally - two great tastes that taste great together.

Cheers, Don Cornicione

• Like 1