ol_ironstomach

The other day, my mother took my semi-senile, 94 year old grandmother out to lunch. Given that I'm the wonder of their universes, I of course came up in the conversation.

GRANDMOM: I'm so glad Daniel married Jordana instead of that other girl he was with.

MOM: What other girl?

GRANDMOM: You know, the one that cooks and talked all the time.

MOM: ???

GRANDMOM: Rachael someone.

MOM: Rachael Ray?

GRANDMOM: Yeah! That's the one! She sure has a big mouth!

That's right, in my grandmother's age-clouded reality, I was once engaged to Rachael Ray.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of my dogs just ate my wife's Intuition cartridges, blades and all, and at times he also likes to eat poo, but I think that even he would draw the line at Nutrish.
I find RR repugnant - no secret there. If she is really giving all proceeds to shelter and animal rescue related causes, even I can't find fault with this - and neither can our adopted shelter dog, Fred. In fact, this may be the only thing that I've read about RR that didn't make me queasy.

One of my dogs just ate my wife's Intuition cartridges, blades and all, and at times he also likes to eat poo, but I think that even he would draw the line at Nutrish.

I dont know. It sounds like a high-quality product. Other dog foods have celeb backing including Paul Newman's Own Organics and one that I feed my dogs-Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance.

It's fantastic that part of the proceeds go to her charity.

I dont know. It sounds like a high-quality product.

All natural and high-quality do not mean the same thing. All I can gather from this story is that it will 1) be all natural 2) have a stupid name, 3) she will give some portion of the money made to her charity. On that note, what exactly does "proceeds" really mean? One might assume that it means that is all that is left when all of the bills are paid, but what is included in the cost? Does her company get a licensing fee out of it? How much are the manufactures taking? I have no problem with Rachel Ray making money or even the actual producers of this food, but maybe it is my jadedness that doesn't believe the hype when another star tells us that everything that is being made off of a product goes to their own charity.

By the way, my rescued dogs subsist nicely on Orijen which is made with human grade food products.

All natural and high-quality do not mean the same thing. All I can gather from this story is that it will 1) be all natural 2) have a stupid name, 3) she will give some portion of the money made to her charity. On that note, what exactly does "proceeds" really mean? One might assume that it means that is all that is left when all of the bills are paid, but what is included in the cost? Does her company get a licensing fee out of it? How much are the manufactures taking? I have no problem with Rachel Ray making money or even the actual producers of this food, but maybe it is my jadedness that doesn't believe the hype when another star tells us that everything that is being made off of a product goes to their own charity.

By the way, my rescued dogs subsist nicely on Orijen which is made with human grade food products.

Here is the nutritional data. I'm not going to be switching.

I've learned to live with all the Rachael Ray bashing and generally take it in good humor. I find many of the things people say about her "funny 'cause it's true." But, really, why would you take the time to come here and go looking for dirt?

If you want to come in here and say you hate what she stands for, or you find her smile and euphemisms annoying, or she cooks nothing but crap, fine. But if you want to come in and start asking questions that are unfounded and needlessly accusatory like you're some sort of investigative reporter trying to break a story on charitable fraud just because you happen to not care for the individual behind the charity, well, I guess I just don't see what this adds to the thread. If you want to come in here and post an article on how the IRS is cracking down on Rachael Ray, fine. But all you're doing now is looking for more ways to dislike someone you already strongly dislike.

"Aww, geez. Those arrogant jerks over at Ray's the Steaks wouldn't seat my party of twenty at the last minute. I can't stand that Michael Landrum. I bet the money he makes from A Place at the Table doesn't really go to charity. I bet he uses it to fund his underground cockfighting ring."

I've learned to live with all the Rachael Ray bashing and generally take it in good humor. I find many of the things people say about her "funny 'cause it's true." But, really, why would you take the time to come here and go looking for dirt?

If you want to come in here and say you hate what she stands for, or you find her smile and euphemisms annoying, or she cooks nothing but crap, fine. But if you want to come in and start asking questions that are unfounded and needlessly accusatory like you're some sort of investigative reporter trying to break a story on charitable fraud just because you happen to not care for the individual behind the charity, well, I guess I just don't see what this adds to the thread. If you want to come in here and post an article on how the IRS is cracking down on Rachael Ray, fine. But all you're doing now is looking for more ways to dislike someone you already strongly dislike.

"Aww, geez. Those arrogant jerks over at Ray's the Steaks wouldn't seat my party of twenty at the last minute. I can't stand that Michael Landrum. I bet the money he makes from A Place at the Table doesn't really go to charity. I bet he uses it to fund his underground cockfighting ring."

Wow, I didn't know I had to ask your permission to post in this thread. I guess next time I should know better than to offend you by simply asking what "proceeds" means in response to someone saying that it makes this venture somehow better than all of her other idiotically named products. I did not accuse her of anything, I simply asked what does that mean. I really don't hate Rachael Ray, her smile or anything else about her, frankly I really don't care much about her one way or another.

I want to have sex with Paris Hilton.

Oh come on Dan, you can hurl some more bile at me. Please, it would really make my evening. I especially want to know more about me wanting to get a table of 20 into Rays. I wonder when that might have happened.

You must have read that through RR colored glasses. :lol: Sthitch's questions are pretty standard, especially when it comes to donations. Aren't you concerned with how much of your $$ are going to the actual charity when you donate?

Trust me, I have no love for Rachael Ray at all, but I do think that the criticisms against her tend to get a bit absurb at times.

Do I check where my money goes before I donate to a charity? You are damn right that I do, but it doesn't seem like the people criticizing her for her venture are going to give one red cent to her anyway, so why are they questioning it so much? And, has Rachael Ray ever given anyone, ever, a reason to question her charitable organization or what she does for other charities? Of course you have the right to say, or question, anything at anytime, but to me it seems like beating a dead horse for no real reason.

The way I look at it, we applaud Chef Landrum for his charitable ways, but want to blast Rachael Ray for being charitable as well. Because he is local and some of us know him, me not being on of them, we have more insight in what Chef Landrum does and we have no reason to question him. But, unless I am missing something, I don't think we have any reason to question Rachael Ray either.

By the way, I really DO think that I want to have sex with Paris Hilton. I am ashamed to say it, but I met her a few years ago in Vegas and she was very nice to us and very attractive. It kills me to think this way because of all the stupid crap that she has done since I met her, and beforehand as well, but she was actually pretty captivating.

Yes, of course we should just think happy thoughts about all things Rachael because in the end she is doing nothing but good for the world. As I noted above, I don't care about her one way or another, but when someone bandies about how buying their product will fill the coffers of a certain charity it is nothing more than a marketing vehicle, and I find nothing wrong with marketing vehicles, but to automatically assume that such statements and promises are purely altruistic simply because some of the money from the sales of a product go to a good cause is naive. Also, I would like you or Dan or anyone else to actually point out where I questioned her giving? When someone gave more credence to this idiotically named product simply because proceeds go to a charity I asked what proceeds actaully means (by the way see how that worked in getting two people who would normally be repelled by the celebrity in question to give the product a second thought because of there was a charity involved? That is called Marketing).

I apologize that my initial post came off a bit more vitriolic than I'd intended (I'd just driven four hours from Jersey and was cranky). I think jiveturk21 made my point a lot better than I did, so basically just ignore my post and read his. :lol:

I'd really rather this discussion not go any further... it's developing off flavors.

Who wants cake?

I guess you don't like Rachael Ray being accused of <gasp> marketing.
I was referring to the simmering tension in our series of threads. I certainly don't want to see it erupt into a rolling boil (it clouds the stock). Please stop trying to provoke me...?

Not sure if anyone has seen this, but RR is sponsoring a "Burger Bash" in NYC (Brooklyn) on October 10th. Surprisingly enough, actual chefs have entered (well, except for Al Roker and Katie Lee Joel).Burger Bash Contestants

Bonus for RR fans, the article includes a pic of Rachael shoving a burger down her gullet.

(twirling the phone cord in my finger as I lay in bed with curlers and pink slippers talking to my girlfriend Betty Sue) "And she likes hamburgers just as much as me!!" (giggle giggle giggle)

Love her or hate her, Rachael Ray deserves some (continuing? see posts above) credit for being generous with her wealth.

From an article about the opening of a temporary shelter for pets displaced by Hurricane Sandy:

After nearly two weeks of negotiations, the warehouse’s landlord agreed on a rent of $20,000 a month, A.S.P.C.A. officials said, adding that a $500,000 donation from the celebrity chef Rachael Ray, who also has contributed supplies from her line of pet food, helped defray some costs.