ol_ironstomach

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope everyone's caught the Rachael Ray episode of "Chefography" that's been airing on the Food Network! How can you not love her?
Hopefully they made an exception for both her and Sandra Lee and called the program something other than a "chefography", but I doubt it.

I hope everyone's caught the Rachael Ray episode of "Chefography" that's been airing on the Food Network! How can you not love her?

You're kidding, right? Are you referring to the part where she says she's so excited about her "$40 a day" program because she's helping poor people. Give me a break. I know she had you at hello, but it seems this alleged girl-next-door is out of touch with reality. I'm sure "the poor" are excited to have Rachel's advice on how they can stretch their travel dollars the next time they're vacationing in Vermont.

i predict that hollywood will eventually make the rachel ray story. of course, we will all have to wait and i am not sure i will be around for its unreeling, but my sense is it will follow along the lines of the typical musician bio films that used to clutter up the screens, and no matter how her life turns out, there will be a lot of unhappiness by the ending. i watched this program the same way i do a lot of television, not attentively, but saw enough to spot pure show biz. reach out for rachel if you must, but you won't be able to stretch far enough. based on her demeanor on the show, i'll bet she can be plenty tough and miserable. of course, i really don't know. the dog could probably tell you, but they say it died.

You're kidding, right? Are you referring to the part where she says she's so excited about her "$40 a day" program because she's helping poor people. Give me a break. I know she had you at hello, but it seems this alleged girl-next-door is out of touch with reality. I'm sure "the poor" are excited to have Rachel's advice on how they can stretch their travel dollars the next time they're vacationing in Vermont.

I don't think she meant "poor" people like destitute, but rather the young adult just out of college, the young married couple, etc. that doesn't have the budget to spend $100 each on dinner and stay in a $200 a night room. When I was in that situation, I would have loved to have information of the kind that Rachel provides. (Of course in those days, Europe on $5 a day was a big seller.)

I don't understand the vitrol that is directed at Rachel Ray. She is what she is, and doesn't pretend to be anything else. If you bothered to watch the Chefography you will see that she certainly paid here dues and worked her butt off to get where she is. I understand that folks either love her or hate her, but I certainly don't understand why they feel the need to castigate her. We should all be so lucky as to work as hard as she does and make a huge success of something that we love to do. More power to her. I don't have to like her shows (and for the most part I don't bother to watch them) but I certainly admire her moxie and feel she is entitled to all the money and fame that has come from her hard work.

This kinda reminds me of when I get together with my musician friends. We'll heap vast amounts of derision and ridicule upon people like Jessica Simpson or Michael Jackson for being entertainers, as opposed to true "artists". I get the feeling that it's the same way with Rachel Ray. It's easy for us to mock and belittle her for not being another Lydia Bastianich but there's alot of people out there without the technical knowledge or even passion about food that this board has who enjoy her for what she is.

I don't like Ray's on-screen demeanor and I don't particularly care for her cooking, either. But she has her place (preferably in a vat of olive oil duking it out with Nigella Lawson and Giada).

She is what she is, and doesn't pretend to be anything else. If you bothered to watch the Chefography you will see that she certainly paid here dues and worked her butt off to get where she is.

it's small potatoes, but who among us knows the real rachel ray? she may even sometimes get confused about this herself. she's on television and she's a performer, even if she's playing in the starring role of rachel ray. maybe even the food on rachel ray is just pretending to be the food she's cooking. however, if i had to choose between pretending to eat what rachel ray pretends to cook and eating what sandra lee pretends, i would not hesitate in pretending to eat the former, even though the latter, if you have been watching the chefographies religiously, has an even more pathetic story to tell and has overcome adversity (although she did get to travel more than rachel).

I don't think she meant "poor" people like destitute, but rather the young adult just out of college, the young married couple, etc. that doesn't have the budget to spend $100 each on dinner and stay in a $200 a night room. When I was in that situation, I would have loved to have information of the kind that Rachel provides. (Of course in those days, Europe on $5 a day was a big seller.)

I don't understand the vitrol that is directed at Rachel Ray. She is what she is, and doesn't pretend to be anything else. If you bothered to watch the Chefography you will see that she certainly paid here dues and worked her butt off to get where she is. I understand that folks either love her or hate her, but I certainly don't understand why they feel the need to castigate her. We should all be so lucky as to work as hard as she does and make a huge success of something that we love to do. More power to her. I don't have to like her shows (and for the most part I don't bother to watch them) but I certainly admire her moxie and feel she is entitled to all the money and fame that has come from her hard work.

How you can know what she meant? My post was based on what she said about "poor" people. I don't hate Rachel, and i'm not sure why you assume that I do. If I hated her, I wouldn't have been watching her chefography. I watched it with my brother, and we both found her comments about "poor" people out of touch with reality and with her image, and a reflection that the food network is a bit out of touch as well since it didn't edit or reshoot that part of the segment.

How you can know what she meant? My post was based on what she said about "poor" people. I don't hate Rachel, and i'm not sure why you assume that I do. If I hated her, I wouldn't have been watching her chefography. I watched it with my brother, and we both found her comments about "poor" people out of touch with reality and with her image, and a reflection that the food network is a bit out of touch as well since it didn't edit or reshoot that part of the segment.

You can assume what you choose as to what she meant. I only said what I think she meant. I also don't necessarily think you "hate" RR, but the tone of your post was definitely negative. However, what I did say was that I do not understand the vitrol that is directed at her. I did not intend for my post to be taken as thinking that your comment was vitrol, and if you did, I apologize. Personally, I don't particularly like RR but admire her for what she has managed to accomplish. But then I don't like Bobby Flay either, but love eating in his restaurant.

I totally agree with you Dinwiddie! I think people hate on her just because so many people love her and swear by her shows. I used to hate on Beyonce the same way. "she has no real talent.... She's just a mass-produced, main-stream Black Barbie who would rather be half naked than contribute anything articticly to the music world." But when I head her sing Dangerously In Love live...... WOW! I was blown away. (I mean, she could still go put some clothes on.....) But I realized that she really was talented and I was just hating on her because it was easy to. RR is the same way. I, personally LOVE Rachel Ray's energy and passion about life and her regular-person persona. Even though I'm such that Dame Julia Child could cook RR under a table, I think Rachel's personality is so accessible and fun. She makes me smile. I like that.

Peace & Blessings,

LaShanta

Just another reason to make me glad we don't have cable. I have NO idea who this woman is and, DanCole42 notwithstanding, I believe ignorance is bliss.

She has a morning show on Fox 5 now. No need for cable. Warning: she is RELENTLESSLY cheerful.

Just another reason to make me glad we don't have cable. I have NO idea who this woman is and, DanCole42 notwithstanding, I believe ignorance is bliss.
Do you also not go grocery shopping? She endorses at least one product in every aisle.

Who do people who don't even know who she IS feel the need to chime in and say something negative? Lemming. :blink:

Didn't your mother teach you that, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all?

Oh, and Mark, I think you meant "REFRESHINGLY" cheerful. ;):P

Didn't your mother teach you that, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all?

I prefer to heed Alice Roosevelt Longworth, who is long believed to have said: "If you don't have anything good to say about anyone, come and sit by me."

Look in the cookbook section of a bookstore. The horror! I just searched for "Rachael Ray" under books on Amazon. 109 of them!