ol_ironstomach

Being in a minority of one sometimes means you're wrong.
Yes, I AM wild, I AM goofy, I DIDN'T go to cooking school, blah, blah, blah - so sue me. I can't be all things to all people. My family taught me that. What am I gonna do, call people who hate me and say, 'Please like me?' I love my job and I think I listen to our viewers and to people when they stop me on the street or at a book signing. But reading a bunch of criticism? How can that be healthy for ANYONE? I still make a pretty decent dinner and there are just as many people who find what we do to be really inspiring and fun. And THOSE are the people I work for. -Rachael Ray

Minority of one on this board, yes, but her success would suggest that I am part of a large majority in the country at large.

My over-the-top "obsession" performance aside, I just don't understand why people feel the need to hop on here and criticize her. Look at Barbara's post... she doesn't even know who Rachael IS, but she still felt the need to put her down.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Minority of one on this board, yes, but her success would suggest that I am part of a large majority in the country at large.

My over-the-top "obsession" performance aside, I just don't understand why people feel the need to hop on here and criticize her. Look at Barbara's post... she doesn't even know who Rachael IS, but she still felt the need to put her down.

Why does it matter? It's a simple criticism. There are tons of criticisms like that on this board. Do you want to call them all out? Some of it is the fun of the banter. You seem to be taking it as a slight against yourself. It's not as if any of us would spit in her face if we met her (at least I don't think). You've made your opinion clear repeatedly, to the point of having a polarizing effect. You actually are adding fuel to the dislike-fire.

Naturally you're entitled to your opinion, as is everyone on this board. But it's as if you enjoy poking the beehive with a stick, repeatedly.

Yes, I AM wild, I AM goofy, I DIDN'T go to cooking school, blah, blah, blah - so sue me. I can't be all things to all people. My family taught me that. What am I gonna do, call people who hate me and say, 'Please like me?' I love my job and I think I listen to our viewers and to people when they stop me on the street or at a book signing. But reading a bunch of criticism? How can that be healthy for ANYONE? I still make a pretty decent dinner and there are just as many people who find what we do to be really inspiring and fun. And THOSE are the people I work for. -Rachael Ray

I always like taking the underdog's side. While I am not a fan of RR, I do admire what she has been able to do. She paid her dues, and now she is getting paid for it. So why should we begrudge her that.

I don't like Barry Bonds either, but I wish I could play baseball as well as he does and got paid what he does.

Has a link to Everything Rachael Ray been posted yet? It includes "Yum-O links" to other Rachael Ray blogs, and a section labelled "Beyond My Skill Level" recipes. :blink:

I am still giggling over this nuggest from the latest entry:

Jacob at Food Network Addict has some thoughts about Paula Deen's appearance on Rachael's talk show. I wonder what he'll do with the video I posted yesterday of Paula Deen and Rachael Ray in between takes.
Oh, I wonder too... ;)

Hey Dan-- the National Enquirer is reporting that Rachel's marriage is OVER!

Hubby is into some not-so-yummo kinks...

Perhaps she's available!!!

From the article:

"John Cusimano reportedly paid a woman by the name of Jeannie Waltz to perform disgusting acts on him. When I say disgusting, I mean literally disgusting. He would pay this woman to spit on his face. This can't be true."

In fact it's not true: They made a typo.

Dan isn't a minority of one. I don't care for her world-conquering juggernaut as of late, but '30 Minute Meals' is a good show. She teaches proper technique (the times I've seen, anyways) and is responsible for getting large numbers of people back into the kitchen, even if in a limited way at first. I can't stand the personality and her lexicon is even more grating, but when I actually took time to watch '30 Minute Meals' I was pleasantly surprised at her knowledge and I can see how she would appeal to the novice cook.

I have to agree. While I generally flip the channel when Ray is on TV, which is tough because she is ALWAYS on TV, I think that she is a positive force in the food world. Whatever can get people away from fast food and frozen dinners, and back into the kitchen, is good enough for me. If you don't like, just change the channel.

As for the challenge on her show, I am a bit surprised that she is doing it, because she had to work pretty hard to get to the top. But, in the end, if the person is good, they will succeed, if not, you will never hear from them again.

I've never seen the magazine. If it's focused on cooking, I might have to check it out and report back.

I glanced at one while waiting for a prescription to be filled at CVS. She seems to have little of no involvement in the magazine's content. There's just a brief "greeting" with her signature under it at the front of the mag. The rest of it is "how to" articles with basic, middle-of-the-road themes about party planning, or the world's best beef stew. I noticed in one article, there were interviews with people who were referring to their favorite Rachael Ray recipes. But otherwise, it's a fluff-filled yawn-fest that seems to be pitched toward twenty-and-thirty-somethings who live rather conventional lives.

...twenty-and-thirty-somethings who live rather conventional lives.

Truly, a fate worse than death.

BTW, the periodical I referred to is not a magazine by or about RR, but a Seattle weekly called The Stranger, an "alternative" paper not unlike our City Paper, though far more hip (or more sophomoric, depending on your point of view).

BTW, the periodical I referred to is not a magazine by or about RR, but a Seattle weekly called The Stranger, an "alternative" paper not unlike our City Paper, though far more hip (or more sophomoric, depending on your point of view).

I assumed that Heather was referring to *Every Day With Rachel Ray* of course, which was described in the linked article. It sounds as if The Stranger is aimed at hip young urbanites, as is City Paper, the same folks who also tend to populate this website--though there are quite a few hip urban and suburbanites here who no longer strictly fit the young descriptor--we know who we are--though it certainly isn't required that you actually be young in order to think and feel or act that way.

I would venture a guess that there aren't too many regular participants in the world of DonRockwell.com who are also subscribers to *Every Day With Rachel Ray.* Other than Dan Cole, of course, who is unabashed in his wish to spend every day with her. The occasional new poster who announces that they want to recommend their favorite restaurant, something of the Benihana or Maggiano's ilk, doesn't spark a real warm welcome here, and usually just moves on or goes back to lurking.

I think the bowl that takes the cake is the Rachael Ray Garbage Bowl. Because as the owner of a tiny kitchen with limited counter space, that's just what I need.
Yes, that product has also annoyed the crap out of me in the past, too! I mean it's not like one of the bowls that you might have hanging around in your cupboard could serve the same purpose, right? Don't get me started on the Dunkin' Donuts commercials :(

And an Islamofascist terrorist MAN at that. Arab women don't wear those, ever. And when men do, they're not paisley. Maybe Krispy Kreme will take this opportunity to position itself as the "Christian Donut."
I have no desire to want to be fair to Michelle Malkin (believe me on this), but the scarf Dan's woman is wearing in that picture doesn't look like paisley and it does look like a keffiyeh. Not That There's Anything Wrong With That. And since when has the keffiyeh "come to symbolize murderous Palestinian jihad" anyway?

Banco, MM or RR? If it's the former, allow me to supply this image to supplement (ahem) courtesy of Wonkette....

Or, not. I was just informed that I could not upload this type of file. Rats. Go to Wonkette, search on Michelle Malkin Bikini. Proceed with aforementioned , uhm, er, whatever....

Banco, MM or RR? If it's the former, allow me to supply this image to supplement (ahem) courtesy of Wonkette....

Or, not. I was just informed that I could not upload this type of file. Rats. Go to Wonkette, search on Michelle Malkin Bikini. Proceed with aforementioned , uhm, er, whatever....

I want to have a 3-way with Michelle Malkin and Anne Coulter.