Speed Cameras in DC - A Tax under the Guise of a Penalty

Got a speeding ticket from a camera in the tunnel under Washington Circle.  I was doing 37 in a 25 MPH zone, fine is $100.  The thing is, I think I've driven under there a few more times probably at the same speed since then.  I used to go home by heading west on K St. and then turning south on 19th St (to get on 66)., but I noticed that no left turns are allowed anymore at K and 19th, hence I have to drive under Washington Circle and subject myself to grand larceny by the District.  When did they disallow the left hand turn at K&19th?  I wonder if they did that to increase revenue.  

50 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Got a speeding ticket from a camera in the tunnel under Washington Circle.  I was doing 37 in a 25 MPH zone, fine is $100.  The thing is, I think I've driven under there a few more times probably at the same speed since then.  I used to go home by heading west on K St. and then turning south on 19th St (to get on 66)., but I noticed that no left turns are allowed anymore at K and 19th, hence I have to drive under Washington Circle and subject myself to grand larceny by the District.  When did they disallow the left hand turn at K&19th?  I wonder if they did that to increase revenue.  

Speed trap goes in both directions there.

On 8/6/2020 at 5:52 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

Got a speeding ticket from a camera in the tunnel under Washington Circle.  I was doing 37 in a 25 MPH zone, fine is $100. 

Same. 37 in a 25 going under Washington Circle, about a month ago - $100.

I made up some bullshit to see if it will fly.

On 8/6/2020 at 5:52 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

I wonder if they did that to increase revenue.  

Let's see (*):

1) Divided Highway? Check
2) Four-lane road? Check
3) Almost zero chance of pedestrians in that spot? Check
4) No residential areas in the vicinity? Check
5) Downhill approaching speed trap? Check
6) People approaching I-66 trying to get home? Check

This is from eight years ago, and it still applies.

(*) Oh, you mean the "No Left Turn" on 19th from K? Nope, that all started with the protests, when *tanks* were sitting at every streetcorner in order to "initimidate" people. How a tank is going to initimidate someone in the middle of Washington, DC, I'm not quite sure.

On 8/8/2020 at 2:51 PM, DonRocks said:

Same. 37 in a 25 going under Washington Circle, about a month ago - $100.

I made up some bullshit to see if it will fly.

They bought my bullshit and reduced the fine from $100 to $50 - probably had a darned good laugh reading it, too.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, MC Horoscope said:

Rt 50 close to Union Market has well known speed traps. Glad you got them to reduce your fine. And belated Happy Birthday, DR!

You're talking about New York Avenue? You bet they have speed traps - I got nailed there about five years ago.

• Like 1