Stovetop Smokers

ManekiNeko

I just finished reading the NYTimes article on stovetop smokers and I was wondering if anyone here has used the Cameron smokers (or ones like them) referenced in the article. I can't cook outside due to the rules of my coop and this method seems like a lovely way to get some smoked foods back into the diet (not exactly true, I can always visit my brother in Stafford who has one of these babies).

Any way I could jerry-rig one of these?

I just finished reading the NYTimes article on stovetop smokers and I was wondering if anyone here has used the Cameron smokers (or ones like them) referenced in the article. I can't cook outside due to the rules of my coop and this method seems like a lovely way to get some smoked foods back into the diet (not exactly true, I can always visit my brother in Stafford who has one of these babies).

I have had one for many, many years. I really only use it to cook things like ribs. Once done, they get sauced and put in the oven or on a grill to finish. I have also smoked some trout in it as well. My only caution about it is that I really have to put aluminum foil all over the top; otherwise, the smoke leaks out and fills up the apartment.

I have one of the Cameron Smokers. It hasn't made me give up my Weber Kettle by any means, but for apartment dwellers, I'd say: "Get one!!" It is hot smoking, as the article points out, so that you can't make lox-styled smoked salmon. But the fish and poultry pieces I have done in it came out well--all brined or salted in advance, of course.

I haven't done anything large, with a foil tent, as with the pork shoulder pictured in the article. And the size of the rack limits you as to how much you can do at one time. The actual lid of my Cameron Smoker has become a bit warped with use, so it leaks smoke, and must be weighted down with a water-filled tea kettle. It would be a good idea to have an adequate vent system above your range, if you are going to do smoking in the house. No matter how much they claim to totally contain the smoke--you gotta open the thing up eventually, even if you can manage to keep the smoke from leaking out while you are cooking.

As far as improvising one--it can be done. I'd suggest taking a look at the thing in a Sur la Table--you need an outer, heavy duty pan, an inner drip tray, and a rack for the food to sit on. And a sealable lid.

I don't have a vent over my stove, so I'm hesistant to use a stovetop smoker (unless I disconnect the smoke alarm!)

so what is the process of turning your backyard bbq grill into a smoker. Have the coals on side of the grill, top with soaked wood chips to get smoke, and place meat on the other side of the grill (using classic indirect heat grilling technique)?

I don't have a vent over my stove, so I'm hesistant to use a stovetop smoker (unless I disconnect the smoke alarm!)

so what is the process of turning your backyard bbq grill into a smoker. Have the coals on side of the grill, top with soaked wood chips to get smoke, and place meat on the other side of the grill (using classic indirect heat grilling technique)?

Depending on the size of your grill, that should work. Remember to put a pan of water under the meat to catch the grease and help to keep the temperature constant.

You may want to get chunks of wood instead of the chips too.

I've used the Cameron Smoker in my apartments for the past 3 years [probably have tried a total of 10 - 15 times, just too many gadgets!].

I agree with the above that good ventilation is key, there will be leakage of smoke from this unit. Results however are quite worth it imo!

For the cost, I might recommend to try out the 1-use SAVU smoker bags [about $3.50 each if I remember correctly]. Quite a few of my friends use them & swear how effective those are, Cook's Illustrated I believe also recommends them even over the Cameron!.

Balducci's carries them, unsure where else in the area.