Tipping Hotel Housekeeping During Pandemic

Ericandblueboy

7 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

I haven't used cash since March.  The smallest bill I have is $20.  How do I tip hotel housekeeping?

You go to the front desk and have them convert your $20 bills into $5 bills.  Do it one $20 at a time.  I have never had a hotel refuse the exchange.

• Like 3

On 9/3/2020 at 8:48 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

I haven't used cash since March.  The smallest bill I have is $20.  How do I tip hotel housekeeping?

Bank machines (at Bank of America, anyway) give you the option to get $10 bills now at their ATMs.

On 9/4/2020 at 3:54 AM, dcs said:

You go to the front desk and have them convert your $20 bills into $5 bills.  Do it one $20 at a time.  I have never had a hotel refuse the exchange.

*Especiallly* if you tell them it's so you can tip housekeeping - every single time, they seem happy that someone goes to the trouble.

Reminder: A tip to the hotel receptionist will often come back as a free drink, or even an upgrade - not always, but maybe 25% of the time. Checking in is a *perfect* time to change the $20, take $15, and say "I appreciate your help" with the other $5. I *never* expect anything in return for this, but history has proven to me that in the long run, it pays for itself (judging from their reactions, I'm pretty sure that very few people do this).

We could start an entire topic on this - on my last flight (eons ago), a $5 tip to the flight attendant for a drink resulted in the next round being comped (flight attendants don't make squat, so they really do need the money)