Fried Oysters in Northern Virginia

wristband

With so much uncertainty about (sadly) restaurant operations, I would appreciate suggestions where one will find the above in Northern Va.  Birthday gift for an ardent fan of the dish. 

I had planned on the Rappahannock River Co stall at Whole Foods Boro Tysons or Brine in Mosaic.  Both are closed.  Black Salt is a possibility but hoping for a NoVa address. Thanks.

1 hour ago, wristband said:

Thank you so very much for the suggestions!  Just told Claire & Don's next to the State Theater in FC is a possibility.  Any thoughts on that one?

If I was in the vicinity of Claire & Don's, I would opt for the fried oysters, or better yet, the grilled oysters, at Chasin' Tails, and even the fried calamari at Pizzeria Orso. Much better options.

2 hours ago, wristband said:

Thank you so very much for the suggestions!  Just told Claire & Don's next to the State Theater in FC is a possibility.  Any thoughts on that one?

Clare & Don's is run by the affable David and Rebecca Tax - I used to go for their "Grouper Tuesdays," and get a Grouper Sub - it was really good, and it may have been fresh fish, but in general, I would expect frozen seafood from this friendly watering hole (I haven't been here in many years, so I may be wrong about that).

If you want "fried, fresh oysters," make sure you go somewhere that specifically says "fresh" or at least "local" on the menu.

A lot of this depends on whether you want them by themselves, in a Po Boy, etc. - I find there's a huge difference having fried oysters that haven't been frozen, but the difference is less important when they're dressed up in a sandwich.

I was just in Chincoteaque, VA this past week, and found a *wonderful* seafood shanty: Capt. Zack's, where we had two meals. The fried oysters were very good; the fried flounder (locally caught and fresh) was to die for. Look at this fried-flounder sandwich!

IMG_6460.jpg

PS - BlackSalt is just across the bridge from NoVA - they'll prepare any item in their seafood case, however you'd like it prepared. They offer Oysters Rockefeller and Fried Clams on the menu (so you know they have fresh oysters and a deep fryer) - you might want to call and ask, but I'd be confident that they'll fry you up some fresh oysters to your liking, as many as you'd like to have. These were the Oysters Rockfeller (presented simply on Jul 4, 2020):

IMG_5969.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1