Han Palace Dim Sum In Tysons Corner

A few things catch my eye here....

Cartless dim sum is the new normal during the pandemic. I'm not sure how easy it will be to get used to ordering off a checklist instead of seeing it passing by on a cart.

Chris Zhu, who owns China Garden in Rockville, and previously in Rosslyn, is the owner of Han Palace. That gives it some good cred, because I became a fan of China Garden in Rosslyn. It was unexpectedly good when I tried it, and every time I came back it was full of Chinese people, which is always a good sign. 

• Like 2

Good quality but it was a mess last Friday.  They got so busy people were seated at back to back boothes.  The tables next to us weren’t 6 feet away either.  Is it worth the premium?  I’d drive a little further to Vinh Kee.  We only picked Han because it’s new and has a patio, but it was too cold to sit outside so we sat inside and I was not happy with the infringement on our space.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Good quality but it was a mess last Friday.  They got so busy people were seated at back to back boothes.  The tables next to us weren’t 6 feet away either.  Is it worth the premium?  I’d drive a little further to Vinh Kee.  We only picked Han because it’s new and has a patio, but it was too cold to sit outside so we sat inside and I was not happy with the infringement on our space.

Thanks Ericandblueboy for the concise review! As I was posting this thread, thought to myself you would visit it opening weekend at some point. 

Our last trip to Vinh Kee right before New Year's Eve since like a years ago!

Expanding to Woodley Park (2649 Connecticut Ave., NW, the Starbuck's space across from the WP Metro) and Barrack's Row at 522 8th St., SE.

Washingtonian

"Both restaurants will serve the most popular items from Han Palace’s all-day dim sum menu, such as scallop, shrimp, or pork-and-crab dumplings, rice rolls, and barbecue pork buns. The kitchens will also recreate Cantonese specialties like lobster sticky rice, Han-style filet mignon, and Peking duck. New to the lineup: delicate homemade soup dumplings, a popular yet not widely available dish in the District. Due to the small size of the new kitchens, Zhu says Han Palace’s most intricate items like stuffed whole duck—which must be ordered 48 hours in advance—will remain a specialty in Virginia."

I ordered take-out from the Han Palace Woodley Park location.  I ordered via their website, which worked well, and everything was ready for pickup in 30 minutes.  On a Sunday night at 6:30pm, the place was mostly full with a couple of people waiting for a table.   

The spring rolls were nicely fried and tasted fine, but nothing special.  The shrimp dumplings were good, with a nice fat large marble sized mix of shrimp filling.  I enjoyed the salt and pepper tofu, which when mixed with the oily sauce at the bottom of the container had a very nice kick.  The crispy eggplant was a container of well fried battered eggplant slices and a side container of sweet/slightly sour dressing/sauce.  The Singapore noodles were good, but I've had better.

My guess is that the food, especially from the dim sum section, is better for eat-in.  We might need to learn which dishes travel better as take-out.

In terms of a Chinese restaurant, at this point, based on one take-out experience, it's not worth the drive into DC if you can go to the places out in Maryland or Virginia (it's not as good as A&J for example).  However, Han Palace is much better than the sorry ass Chinese restaurants in the greater Woodley Park/Cleveland Park area (sorry Mr. Chen's you suck).  Overall a nice addition to the neighborhood.       

• Like 1

I would say that Han Palace Woodley Park has settled in nicely.  The place is always busy during the dinner hours and the last couple of take out orders have been really good.  Some dishes we have enjoyed recently:

Singapore Noodles (much better now than the first time I ordered it right after they opened)

Pork and Tofu Casserole (listed in the tofu and vegetables section)

Snow Pea Leaves (I prefer this over the Chinese broccoli for a green veg order) 

Salt and Pepper Tofu

The take out portions are huge.  If we order a couple of entrees and some items off the dim sum menu we can easily get several meals out of one take out order.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Went to Han Palace on Barracks Row for lunch today. The Soup Dumplings were excellent. I had a little bit of the 1/4 Roasted Duck my friend ordered from the Hong Kong Style portion of the menu and a couple of her Pork Dumplings. So very good. She also had some Shrimp Dumplings, which were her least favorite. I didn't try any, but it sounded like the filling was more of a paste than having the discrete pieces of shrimp she prefers. All of the dumplings were from the Dim Sum section of the regular menu.

She loves dim sum and knows more about Chinese food than I do, and she also thought the Soup Dumplings were the best thing we had.

I also ordered the Spicy & Sour Cucumber, which I loved. I wanted a vegetable 🤷‍♀️. This dish was great on its own but also for cutting through the fat of other items. I could not stop eating these.

Those soup dumplings🥰...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1