Galileo: The Lunch Grill: Keep Abreast of Roberto's Loin/Meatballs - Purloined.

Is the grill on for this week? I have to be in the area for an errand anyway.  Also, as a non-pork eater, is it even worth going?

If JG hasn't posted the dates then there are no known dates. :lol:

The meatball sub is pretty good and some enjoy the soups.

Also, as a non-pork eater, is it even worth going?

The chicken has the same green sauce, bread, and pepper/onion accompaniment as the pork shoulder and sausage, so I would say that deserves at least one shot.

But like mdt said, no news is not good news.

From Today's Daily Candy:

November 15, 2005 

Haute Dog

The dream you: tableside as Roberto Donna whips up your elaborate multicourse dinner at Laboratorio del Galileo.

The real you: lucky to catch a glimpse of the guy who makes your falafel sandwich at Moby Dick’s House of Kabob.

Don’t despair. While you wait for a big bonus (or a big spender) to bankroll your restaurant hopping, tide yourself over with Galileo’s gourmet hot dogs, sausages, and pulled pork sandwiches.

Chef Donna may spend his nights dishing out duck liver custard and lobster risotto at his four-star institution, but every few weeks he spends the afternoon grilling up delish (and affordable) chow outside on 21st Street. For less than you’d likely spend at the corner deli’s salad bar, you can feast on a massive meatball sammie, a heaping pork shoulder sub topped with garlicky broccoli rabe, or even a jumbo pizza slice.

There’s one catch: You have to be on a list to know when he’ll be out. But any aspiring epicurean can get on: Just sign up at grill@galileodc.com, and Galileo will send you a friendly notice about the next grill-a-thon a few days in advance.

You know, so you’ll have time to save up.

Galileo Restaurant, 1110 21st Street NW, between L and M Streets (202-293-7191).

Well, the good news is that it doesn't mention that the Grill is actually open today, and people who look for it "outside on 21st Street" will not find it. That said, I still think I'll go early. Better safe than hungry.

It's open today too?? (as well as Wed & Thurs)

I signed up for the email but only received it once, so i'm relying on you all for accurate info. Don't want to make a run into town from the 'burbs unless it's definitely open.

(will have to try signing up AGAIN)

It's open today too?? (as well as Wed & Thurs)

I signed up for the email but only received it once, so i'm relying on you all for accurate info.  Don't want to make a run into town from the 'burbs unless it's definitely open.

(will have to try signing up AGAIN)

NOT open today. From the email...

Wednesday and Thursday (11/16 and 11/17)

Pork Shoulder Sandwich. Provolone. Red Sauce. Water.

Best. $7. Lunch. Ever.

Thank you, Don Rockwellians, for cluing me in to this.

If there's anyone out there who, for whatever reason, hasn't made it to the Grill, you are missing out.

Also, if any of you have any hot tips on a good place to eat the sandwich I will be picking up there tomorrow, that would be appreciated. I had some trouble finding a table.

Thanks again. Yum.

Alex

Pork Shoulder Sandwich. Provolone. Red Sauce. Water.

Best. $7. Lunch. Ever.

Thank you, Don Rockwellians, for cluing me in to this.

If there's anyone out there who, for whatever reason, hasn't made it to the Grill, you are missing out.

Also, if any of you have any hot tips on a good place to eat the sandwich I will be picking up there tomorrow, that would be appreciated. I had some trouble finding a table.

Thanks again. Yum.

Alex

When the weather is inclement, they usually make the dining room in the back of the restaurant, behind the grill room, available for grill patrons to eat their lunch. When the weather is nice, people eat their lunch on the back patio.

It was total chaos there today. Got there about quarter to noon and the whole front of the restaurant was filled with people waiting for the grill to open. In addition, the entire bar was covered in call-in orders. Guess the word has really gotten out (was it written up somewhere recently?). When I finally reached the front of the line, I mentioned to Roberto that it was out-of-control today. He replied, "What?! I have it under control!", then turned to the crowd and for comic effect yelled "Move, move, move people!". Maybe I'll try getting there at 1pm next time.

is it open today?

Dates are sporadic, espcially in the winter. The dates it is open are sent out via email to members of Galileo's email list. A good rule of thumb is that if you don't see dates posted here, it ain't open.

Went yesterday (lines were very short), and again my pork shoulder was overcooked, in some places burned, and the thing was too chewy and burnt tasting to even finish. Sadly, this sandwich just hasn't been up to par the last five or six times I've tried it, so I'm considering giving it up entirely. My plan B, the hot dog, keeps arriving with excess amount of ketchup and mustard so I can hardly taste the meat. I appreciate the friendly prices and cannoli here, but that's about it these days.

Went yesterday (lines were very short), and again my pork shoulder was overcooked, in some places burned, and the thing was too chewy and burnt tasting to even finish.  Sadly, this sandwich just hasn't been up to par the last five or six times I've tried it, so I'm considering giving it up entirely.  My plan B, the hot dog, keeps arriving with excess amount of ketchup and mustard so I can hardly taste the meat.  I appreciate the friendly prices and cannoli here, but that's about it these days.

My pork shoulder from yesterday also had weird charred pieces. Fortunately it was at the end, so I was able to enjoy the sandwich. Today's meatball sandwich was probably the best I've had. So many pignoli and a good amount of sauce.

Funny story: yesterday I walked in behind a group of about 15 people. When we got to the desk, all but two of them ordered "pork shoulder with red sauce," right in a row. At about the 10th one Donna bellows, "are you doing this just to piss me off?!" Classic.

Yummy in my tummy. I just finished a homemade "hot dog" from the Galileo Grill. It was spicy and delicious. The ketchup was also a treat.

Do they make their bread? The bun was delicious.

Oh there was really no line at 12:30p...

There was a sign up that the next grill days are Feb. 28 and Mar. 1.