Galileo: The Lunch Grill: Keep Abreast of Roberto's Loin/Meatballs - Purloined.

Wow- went for the first time today. Meatball- incredible! I like how he was there joking with customers, being nice not rude, even with the huge line. Also thought it was great there was no cash register, just a box, that amount of trust between people is fantastic.

Ed

I had the hot dog for the first time. I loved the sauerkraut but despite grill marks on the outside it was undercooked. It was hard to bite through the casing which made for an interesting eating experience. They tasted great but next time I would ask for mine well done.

It was hard to bite through the casing which made for an interesting eating experience.

I have had this problem with the sausage before. He must use different casings from week to week, since I've had both the sausage and the hot dog without this problem as well.

I tried this for the first time this week and it was such a fun experience. The chef was in a great mood and chatted with us for a while. I have never met him before. The sandwich, I had the pork shoulder, was just delightful and I am sure I will be back for more. I like the idea of just dropping in cash in a box to pay for the meal. There was no line when we got there, but there was a long one by the time we left.

A definte "must return" place

I went at 12 noon. There were a great deal of people coming out, many of whom had ordered ahead of time. I got the pulled pork, juicy full of flavor, extra onions and a wonderful toasted bread. I have a cannolly that I will try later. My dining companion got the meat ball sub, she is to busy eating and moaning for me to sneak a bit, let alone give me a update. I will be back tomorrow for a hot dog and a sassage! NO line!!!!!!!!

I made my first visit today a little before noon. What the heck have I been waiting for? Yes, lunch meant a missed workout and traveling a few stops on the metro, but it was SO worth it. The hot dog was not like any hot dog I've ever had before. Interesting texture - more like sausage than your traditional hot dog. Yum. The condiments were interesting. The mustard was a little too horseradish-y for me, but that didn't stop me from gobbling up the whole thing. I brought the cannolli back to work with me and I'm glad I waited to eat it. Otherwise I would have felt compelled to purchase a second one. Wow, it was that good. Very light and just the right amount of sweetness. I like that it was half pistachio/half chocolate. Heaven.

I must mention that Chef Donna mentioned this site. He was announcing (not sure if it was a general announcement or if was in response to an inquiry) that the bread is toasted on the grill. He was joking that because of this, the bread would have charred pieces. He challenged that if anyone knew how to toast bread on a grill without getting a few charred spots they should notify him. He then added some comment like, for those of you who read donrockwell, you should know that about the bread ahead of time.

A great experience that will be repeated soon, I hope.

<_<

Being one of the people that mentioned the charred taste, I would like to defend my comment. I have eaten at the grill at least 10 times in the last year or so and only once did I have that complaint. Most of the times the bread tasted great, even if it did have some charring on it. One time inparticular my whole sandwich tasted like burnt lighter fluid. Definitely an anomoly and not the norm, but I hope I didn't make Roberto mad at me!

Went with a friend today, and tried the new quiche. This wasn't what I usually think of quiche as being (I guess I'm used to the French version). Here it is a thin layer of puff pastry like dough covered with ricotta (I think) and caramelized onions. Quite good.

I have to admit, I love hotdogs! Regardless if I am in Chicago, New York, DC or Asheville, NC I will now admit I seek out places that have a reputation for unique and good dogs. Maybe this is the fault of constant integration of German and Scottish ancestors, but I have never bitten a dog that I did not like.

Today I am adding the grill's hotdog to my list of top ten places to get a great dog! I showed up a little before noon today (FYI no line again) and ask the great chef to make me a dog they way he likes them. I was handed a foiled pack that I hastily paid for (along with a coke and a cannoli). The dog was amazing! Fresh roll, sausage like dog with homemade mustard, lots of kraut and a little onions and peppers. After I inhaled the dog, I almost left my desk for another, but realized I can head back tomorrow.

I also kidded about the toasted rolls and Donna laughed and laughed about them. I also tried to order the Ribs (which is on the printed menu) but was told that was a mistake (maybe a premonition of what is to come?). In any event, the $4 dollar dog is the steal of the day!

I have to admit, I love hotdogs! Regardless if I am in Chicago, New York, DC or Asheville, NC I will now admit I seek out places that have a reputation for unique and good dogs. Maybe this is the fault of constant integration of German and Scottish ancestors, but I have never bitten a dog that I did not like.

Today I am adding the grill's hotdog to my list of top ten places to get a great dog! I showed up a little before noon today (FYI no line again) and ask the great chef to make me a dog they way he likes them. I was handed a foiled pack that I hastily paid for (along with a coke and a cannoli). The dog was amazing! Fresh roll, sausage like dog with homemade mustard, lots of kraut and a little onions and peppers. After I inhaled the dog, I almost left my desk for another, but realized I can head back tomorrow.

I also kidded about the toasted rolls and Donna laughed and laughed about them. I also tried to order the Ribs (which is on the printed menu) but was told that was a mistake (maybe a premonition of what is to come?). In any event, the $4 dollar dog is the steal of the day!

Guess I need to fnally try a dog or two. They have had ribs in the past and they are pretty good.

Roberto said the 'quiche' is really Alsatian tarte flambe, but that people wouldn't know what the hell that was.

"Onion and cheese tart" would describe it just fine. People looking for quiche will be confused. Personally, I hate quiche, but liked this.

It is a tasty and delicious thin-crusted thing, quite rich. No thicker than my pinky finger but a reasonably generous serving for $3.

Doesn't woo me away from the pizza, though. Or, when I'm looking to indulge, the meatball.

Personally, I don't think I ever bought less than two cannollis in all my visits to the Grill. Buying just one feels offensive somehow.

Ugh. Even just thinking about it gives me the willies. (No offense to the JPW family <_< )

I'm glad to hear that Chef Donna has read, or has been told about, this board. Therefore, please excuse this

OPEN MESSAGE TO CHEF DONNA!

Dear Chef,

Tuesday afternoon is the Washington Nationals home opener at RFK stadium. I do not wish to buy food there. I do not wish to buy food on the street outside. I wish to stop off at Galileo Grill before the game to fill up a "to-go" bag of your dogs.

Please, please, please have the Grill running on Tuesday. Please.

Oh, and Chef? While I'm at it, the Nationals have another day game on Thursday. I would love to take advantage of the great dogs from Galileo Grill again on Thursday. Could you see it in your heart to open the Grill on Thursday, also? Please?

Oh, and Chef? There's lots of weekday day games this season. Maybe you could match your schedule to the games? I'd see a lot of you that way! (Although, some people might say that's not a good thing).

Or, how about doing the Grill right there on East Capitol Street before game time? I'm sure you could get some kind of city permit for that. Think of the attention you'd get. You could even have a massive picture of yourself placed on the outfield wall holding one of your homemade hot dogs! And every time a National player hits a home run over it, they could get a free dog, or something.

If you do, I'll promise to stop asking you for that pony for Christmas.

Thanks, Chef!

CrescentFresh

(Let's Go Mets!)

Oh, and Chef?  There's lots of weekday day games this season.  Maybe you could match your schedule to the games?  I'd see a lot of you that way!

CrescentFresh

If you're going on an all-dog diet for the duration of stickball season, I'd say Chef Donna will be seeing a lot more of you that way - possibly two or three pounds per week more. <_<

If you're going on an all-dog diet for the duration of stickball season, I'd say Chef Donna will be seeing a lot more of you that way - possibly two or three pounds per week more.   <_<

You say this, yet every time I had The Grill for lunch, I lost weight. I am serious, I promise.

How? - you say. Surely, you're jesting.

Am not. Get a minimal breakfast. At noon, get a big fat sandwich with pork shoulder, provolone and broccolini. (Say "con tutti, per favore," when you order. When he reaches to close your sandwich after smothering it with peppers and onions, shake your head, smile, and say, "oh no, con TUTTI tutti, formaggio i broccolini, per favore."

Also, buy two cannollis.

Eat sandwich and one cannoli for lunch. Sock the second one away in fridge hidden from lustful glances of envious coworkers.

Immediately, you'll feel fat and happy.

Around 4.30 - 5, eat your second cannolli.

Go to the gym.

Return home and go to bed. You won't be particularly hungry so it will be easy.

Get up in the morning. Admire sight of perfickly flat stomach in mirror. Whisper to self, "Ich heisse superfantastisch."

You see. Is easy. Works for me every time.

Open tomorrow. 2 new items on the menu:

Sandwiches* - Chicken, Pork Shoulder, or Pork Sausage - $5

Meatball Sandwich with Provolone - $6

Add to your sandwich: Provolone - $1 and/or Broccoli Rabe - $2

Homemade Hot Dogs - $4

Broccoli Rabe Pizza (slice) - $3.50

Vegetable Soup - $3

Onion, Pancetta and Cheese "Quiche" - $3 – NEW!

Grilled Romaine Caeser Salad - $5 – NEW!

Sweet Ricotta Cannoli - $2.50

Italian Country Bread - $3

Sodas & Bottled Water - $1

The grill was packed today. I got there between 12:15 and 12:30 and the line was out the door of the Lab and it stayed that way until I left. They were sold out of the "quiche." I had the pork shoulder sandwich. I feel like I need to take a shower after eating one of those things. I have essence of pork on my face and hands that napkins seem to have no effect on. I sense a nap at the desk coming on a little later. That is one monster of a sandwich for $6 (w/provolone).

I took a day off last week basically just to eat here. (Although I did have an accountant confirm the bad news about my taxes) Anyways it was completely worth it, I had about half the pork shoulder sandwich and half the hot dog which were just as great as everyone here says. The pork shoulder was by far the best thing Ive had for under $10 in a long long time. Nothing really new to report here, I guess I'm just thanking the board for another great meal at their suggestion.

Got to the grill today right at noon, and it was very quiet. Chicken sandwich w/ everything was delicious, and I'm happy to report that they've doubled the amount of lettuce in the grilled caesar. Yay!

Went yesterday for first time. Charming set up with RD serving sandwiches, cigar box for $, etc. Had the pork shoulder sandwich which, while good, was not in the same league as the pork sandwich at Breadline (Friday special). The meat was drier and the bread didn't compare to BL's ciabatta. Loved the green sauce, though, and will go back to try sausage and dog.