Galileo: The Lunch Grill: Keep Abreast of Roberto's Loin/Meatballs - Purloined.

Went yesterday for first time. Charming set up with RD serving sandwiches, cigar box for $, etc. Had the pork shoulder sandwich which, while good, was not in the same league as the pork sandwich at Breadline (Friday special). The meat was drier and the bread didn't compare to BL's ciabatta. Loved the green sauce, though, and will go back to try sausage and dog.
The meatball subs are pretty good, too.

I dropped in a week or so ago and had the pork sandwich. I don't know whether to complain or not about how fatty it was. It was delicious, but then again I'm sure eating a stick of butter would be tasty too. I only had a $50 on me and felt a little conspicuous making my own change from the cigar box. So I asked Chef Donna if I should grab the change myself. He eyed me suspiciously and then just said, "make sure you do it right".

• Like 1

Went yesterday for first time. Charming set up with RD serving sandwiches, cigar box for $, etc. Had the pork shoulder sandwich which, while good, was not in the same league as the pork sandwich at Breadline (Friday special). The meat was drier and the bread didn't compare to BL's ciabatta. Loved the green sauce, though, and will go back to try sausage and dog.

Looks like Roberto has taken this as a duel... He had a Breadline Pork sandwich sitting out today at the Grill, with a challenge... :)

Looks like Roberto has taken this as a duel... He had a Breadline Pork sandwich sitting out today at the Grill, with a challenge... :)

And a posting from donrockwell.com next to the sandwich, saying that it (Breadline, $8.50) is better than his pork shoulder (I guess that must be in the Breadline thread somewhere). I'm not sure how he knew I'm on here, but he pointed to me and said "You must answer this!".

And a posting from donrockwell.com next to the sandwich, saying that it (Breadline, $8.50) is better than his pork shoulder (I guess that must be in the Breadline thread somewhere). I'm not sure how he knew I'm on here, but he pointed to me and said "You must answer this!".

He probably thought you were Don Rockwell (who just happened to be somewhat behind you in the line). I can't comment on the battle of the pork shoulder sandwiches because I've never had the Breadline entrant. But can anyone tell me if the Breadline sandwich comes with the same green sauce that Donna uses, or has broccoli rabe available?

I went with the meatball sub today, and I broke jparrott in, his first visit. It's going to take him the rest of the afternoon to get the smell of pork shoulder to go away.

You know that every restaurant in NY has a photo of Bruni on the wall. Perhaps every restaurant in DC has this on the wall and it was a case of mistaken identification.

Had the pork shoulder sandwich which, while good, was not in the same league as the pork sandwich at Breadline (Friday special). The meat was drier and the bread didn't compare to BL's ciabatta.

I guess this is the posting that prompted all this. Never having tried the Breadline pork sandwich, I have no basis for comparison.

However, I'm happy to say that the pork-shoulder sandwich I had today at The Lunch Grill ($8.00 with the works, including provolone and broccoli rabe) was as good as any sandwich, of any type, that I've ever eaten, anywhere, at any price.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Are you saying that your sandwich at Galileo was dry, or merely drier that what they have at BL? For the stuff at BL to be more moist than what they were serving at Galileo this afternoon, it would almost have to be liquid. We almost had to ask for the hose in order to get Jake cleaned up after his sandwich.

I broke my Galileo Grill duck today with the pork shoulder con rabe, and I've got to agree with Rocks. Only thing that might have made it better was if they had the really rat-sharp provolone like John's Roast Pork in South Philly, cos the pork at GG is, of course, a million miles better than John's.

I wonder if you bring wine, you pay the $15 corkage in the same cigar box? Next time the Grill's open on a Friday, I say we start HH early!

Are you saying that your sandwich at Galileo was dry, or merely drier that what they have at BL? For the stuff at BL to be more moist than what they were serving at Galileo this afternoon, it would almost have to be liquid. We almost had to ask for the hose in order to get Jake cleaned up after his sandwich.

The pork wasn't dry, just drier than Breadline's. Maybe I should have ordered it with cheese and broccoli rabe, or maybe I just got unlucky and got some pieces that had been sitting (I was there early and there was virtually no line). This was just one visit and one sandwich. If it's open next week, I'll go back and try again - if they let me in. :)

The pork wasn't dry, just drier than Breadline's. Maybe I should have ordered it with cheese and broccoli rabe, or maybe I just got unlucky and got some pieces that had been sitting (I was there early and there was virtually no line). This was just one visit and one sandwich. If it's open next week, I'll go back and try again - if they let me in. :)
Your post sure got under the skin of Roberto Donna. Or perhaps this is just Donna/Furstenburg rivalry going on: "no, my sandwich is better than yours."

Your post sure got under the skin of Roberto Donna. Or perhaps this is just Donna/Furstenburg rivalry going on: "no, my sandwich is better than yours."

Geez, I guess so. For the record, I thought his sandwich was really good, but that Breadline's was really, really good. A rematch is scheduled for next week (where Roberto usually shines).

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post to the board. I wasn't sure when to jump in after I joined the site, but this seems like a good place to start. Oh, and by the way I'm Roberto's exec. assistant so of course I have a biased, behind the scenes view of all things grill and otherwise Galileo related.

As you all know Roberto, is an avid reader of this site and many others. He enjoys the posts and takes all feedback quite seriously, which you've probably noticed by the increased size of the romaine salad, the display today, and of course his notorious comments.

For the record the BL sandwich was purchased and brought right to Roberto. It arrived as the grill was opening so he simply placed it on the counter and took the bread off the top so the pork was visible, he did nothing to alter the look of it. He and Mark Furstenberg are good friends, so of course he’s not trying to compete just trying to get the facts out in the open. He wouldn't be Roberto if he didn't strive to be the best… which is why the grill is only open when he personally can make each sandwich himself.

I look forward to getting to know you all and getting involved on donrockwell.com. Also, I’d just like to add that your constructive feedback is quite appreciated.

Just for kicks here's a donrockwell.com exclusive: the grill will be open next week on Wednesday and Thursday!

Alysa Reich

Galileo

For the record the BL sandwich was purchased and brought right to Roberto. It arrived as the grill was opening so he simply placed it on the counter and took the bread off the top so the pork was visible, he did nothing to alter the look of it.

Ah, but did he taste it?

Hmmm... I had the pork shoulder sandwich today. I am spoiled by the smoked butt I had at the picnic on Sunday, but today's GG version was a massive sandwich, must of weighed over a pound and a half. I dissected it, trim a bit of the Pork fat and cut up a pork chop size slice into little bits. the pork could have used a little more time in the oven and a good shot of pepper. I wonder if Roberto might be bribed to have some sort of spicy sauce for those of us who like a bit of kick in our sandwich? I love the bread, the green sauce and everything else about this sandwich. The pork was not dry at all.

Roberto, your grill is the highlight of a otherwise shitty day.

I had my lunch grill deflowering today - got the pork shoulder - holy crap what a huge sandwich! Juicy, tasty pork w/ brocolli and all the other fixins - was nice to sit outside in the courtyard and wolf it down

The line was long today. It moved fast but at 12:15 it was already wrapped around into the dining room hallway.

Edited after I pretty much finished lunch:

Caeser salad: I'm not sure if it is a half of a head of romaine or a quarter, but I do love grilled romaine. The salad is served deconstructed, the croutons, cheese & dressing on the side. I would have liked more lettuce to go with the amount of dressing and croutons but...

Meatball sandwich: Was good. Love the bread. The meatballs were pink on the inside. I assume that is the way they are supposed to be.

Does anybody know if the Chef uses the grill as a training tool for his staff? That is my best guess as to why he does it.

Apparently a first happened at the Grill this afternoon: Roberto ran out of rolls. I was there about 12:45 and he was serving all of his sandwiches on big slices of his Italian bread that is also available to buy. Roberto went on and on in his joyful way about how he has never run out of bread and he was going to try something new.

Then the guy standing in front of me walked out and Roberto sighed. "Guys" he said, "that was one of the food critics from the Washington Post and he came just as I ran out of bread. For two years I never run out of bread and then he shows up the one day I do!" Everyone in the room laughed and his two assistants chuckled. I looked at him, smiled, and said that I was on DonRockwell.com This time his assistants burst out laughing and Roberto shook his head, laughed and said that he really couldn't get a break today.

Chef, I actually like the pork shoulder better on the Italian bread! The bread held up well during my 15 minute walk back to work and then during my impromptu 20 minute meeting about accepting new students. (I was asked to remove the sandwich from the small office we were in because it smelled so good and my coworker is on a diet.) With the roll I often find that all that bread takes away from the actual flavor of the sandwich. The bread provided a nice balance. The pork shoulder was as good as I expect it to be and I lucked out with a few burnt ends in my sandwich. All in all, I'm glad I arrived a little late and "got stuck" with the bread.

On the way in through the narrow doorway, one of the ladies in front of me asks Roberto's assistant, who is chopping with vigor, if she can have a taste of the pork. He obliges her. A minute later, a rumor spreads through the room that the pork is running out. Running out! For the next four minutes as the line snakes around the perimeter of the room, she proclaims loudly that the last sandwich is HERS! Roberto periodically checks if she's paying attention by joking "we're out of pork" and then taking it back. I grab a Coke from the ice bath and order mine "con tutti" but either my pronunciation has failed or tutti does not signify "con provolone e rabe". Money is shoved into the cigar box, and my foil-wrapped prize is spirited out of the restaurant.

That pork shoulder sandwich. Untrimmed pieces of fat glisten beneath the romaine leaf; it was a whole shoulder before it was coarsely chopped only moments before. Copious juice remains trapped - no, it's just lurking - in the well-rested meat. The lower crust of the ciabatta resists for a while, but ultimately reaches the point of incipient soggyness in the few minutes it takes to find a space in the courtyard, anchor a napkin against the breeze, and re-wrap the sandwich in the foil sheet for drop-free eating, as one might wrap a California burrito. There won't be much call for dinner tonight.

Man, I need a time machine to get back to Tues/Wed lunch hour on those other days of the week.

Does anybody know if the Chef uses the grill as a training tool for his staff? That is my best guess as to why he does it.

My best guess is that he does it to make some fast money.

Relatively speaking, there's lots more profit in quick and simple food service than there is in haute (is this why there are no McGalileos in Columbus?). And since the place and the staff etc. are already there, the true marginal cost can't be much more than the raw food. The cigar box is also a nice touch.

The capitalist system works best for everyone when the customer is happy, and the Grill's customers are certainly that.

IIRC, he does it because he likes to grill and thought it would be different and fun. I also think he enjoys being in front of his customers and in the spotlight too, not that there is anything wrong with that.

:unsure: <I agree with 100 % it must be fun to be in front of your customers.
IIRC, he does it because he likes to grill and thought it would be different and fun. I also think he enjoys being in front of his customers and in the spotlight too, not that there is anything wrong with that.

On the way in through the narrow doorway, one of the ladies in front of me asks Roberto's assistant, who is chopping with vigor, if she can have a taste of the pork. He obliges her. A minute later, a rumor spreads through the room that the pork is running out. Running out! For the next four minutes as the line snakes around the perimeter of the room, she proclaims loudly that the last sandwich is HERS! Roberto periodically checks if she's paying attention by joking "we're out of pork" and then taking it back. I grab a Coke from the ice bath and order mine "con tutti" but either my pronunciation has failed or tutti does not signify "con provolone e rabe". Money is shoved into the cigar box, and my foil-wrapped prize is spirited out of the restaurant.

That pork shoulder sandwich. Untrimmed pieces of fat glisten beneath the romaine leaf; it was a whole shoulder before it was coarsely chopped only moments before. Copious juice remains trapped - no, it's just lurking - in the well-rested meat. The lower crust of the ciabatta resists for a while, but ultimately reaches the point of incipient soggyness in the few minutes it takes to find a space in the courtyard, anchor a napkin against the breeze, and re-wrap the sandwich in the foil sheet for drop-free eating, as one might wrap a California burrito. There won't be much call for dinner tonight.

Man, I need a time machine to get back to Tues/Wed lunch hour on those other days of the week.

Can I have a ride in your time machine, too? In case not, what I usually do to satisfy my galileo meatball sub cravings is head to Greek Deli and get the meatball daily special, either the red or the white sauce and some orzo and that delicious bread. yumm.

Now that I'm working nearby, I was finally able to try out the Galileo Grill for the first time today. My compliments to the Chef and his busy team. As a non-pork eater, I had the chicken sandwich which like all of the sandwiches is HUGE and thus an awesome bargain at $5. I had the sandwich without any fixins, just the onions, peppers, romaine, and green sauce that comes on all of the sandwiches. I thought it was a great combo - fresh ingredients, hot off the grill, hmm hmm good. Now, I'm curious what is in the green sauce?

I also had one of the excellent cannolis. While the sandwich was good and a great deal, the cannoli was amazing. Great flaky cookie and a good combo of plain/pistachio/vanilla?? (let's just say white) cream and chocolate cream with the added touch of chocolate sprinkles. Delicis.

I'll defintely be back the next time the grill is open.

Just had my first Galileo Grill experience (yea, I don't know why it took me this long). Called in to beat the possible line, and I was a little disappointed. First off, they messed up the order (got broccoli rabe instead of provolone on my pork shoulder) and as a result, I thought the sandwich was a little too focused on the greens. The pork was quite good, but sorta overwhelmed. For me the bread was the winner. I plan on returning thursday to try ordering in person to avoid order mixups, and to make sure the sandwich doesn't sit idle: a couple of my coworkers got meatball subs and theirs were decidedly soggy by the time we walked 2 blocks back to the office. All complaints aside, what a deal: $23 for 4 big, good, sandwiches is really hard to beat. I'm thinkin hot dog next time, spicy mustard and sauerkraut. mmm

the crowds/line were crazy today, out the door by 12.15 - I sometimes wonder if the folks eating in Gallileo proper get irritated by the unwashed masses queueing up for sandwiches as they eat their $30-40+ lunch

the crowds/line were crazy today, out the door by 12.15 - I sometimes wonder if the folks eating in Gallileo proper get irritated by the unwashed masses queueing up for sandwiches as they eat their $30-40+ lunch
god I hope so! I have seen dining room patrons looking around like what the hell is going on in there. Suckers!

The grill was crowded again today. The line stretched to the door to the patio. When I left, they were holding people at the front door. That having been said, the line moves fast. I believe that Chef Donna moves faster than the line does. He continually calls out, who's next, what do you want?

Went today as well (for the first time) and was surprised by how quick the lined moved. The line wasn't all that long when I got there at around 11:50 or so but was getting long by the time I left around 12:10 or so (I work at L'enfant which means if I do go to lunch in the Foggy Bottom area it has to be pretty quick :-( ).

I thought about asking them to hold the peppers and onions on the pork shoulder sandwhich I ordered since I'm not a huge fan but decided against it since the peppers and onions are added around the corner of the grill where Chef Donna and his helper can't really get to them. Wasn't sorry that I held off on asking them to hold them as the peppers and onions had a light taste that was a bit sweet so I thought it matched quite well. It certainly wasn't the best sandwhich I've ever had, but I'm not certain that's what he's going for. The bread was very good ciabatta, light and just a bit tough on the outside as it should be, not tough throughout as alot of ciabatta ends up being. The pork shoulder could have been seasoned a tad more, but it was quite good.

I may ask him to do it next time then. I figured the first time I tried it I could handle something that I only marginally dislike in the hope that it ended up being tolerable, which it definitely was. I do think I'd probably enjoy the sandwhiches better though without the peppers and onions.

decided it was time to try something apart from the pork shoulder and had the pork sausage.....TWO sausages on the bread.....twas good, but not great...I also think the amount of green sauce is important and there was not a lot on my sandwich today........I think it'll be meatballs next week