Taco Rock, locations in Arlington and Annandale

I've been watching the storefront while stopped at the stoplight nearby and it finally opened, so I called in an order to pick up on my way home tonight.  they're in the Pinecrest shopping plaza with the new Lidl Ithe old Whole Foods location) and the 5 Guys across LRT from Home Depot.  It was pretty busy inside, done in a gray/dark industrial decor that looks like a moody Chipotle.   It seemed pretty busy with customers, so I didn't linger with so many unmasked eaters inside.  They do have tables and patio heaters outside but none were in use when I breezed in and out.  

I ordered beans, an al pastor, a lamb barbacoa,  and a chorizo & potato to get a good sampling of the standard style tacos.  Beans were black beans, no pinto on offer, apparently.  Soupy and tender but not much flavor except a little fresh onion that I think was actually a splatter into the cup as they were packing it up.  Nice packaging for the tacos with a container with basically 3 troughs.  The tacos themselves were all served on single blue corn tortillas that were basically flavorless,  and retained zero heat on the 10 minute drive home.  From the lack of texture, I'm not sure they were ever heated at all.  They did hold together.   The chorizo potato taco had a few tiny shreds of cilantro and I finally figured out what it was by process of elimination since it didn't have pineapple and didn't taste like lamb.  It didn't taste of anything specific; they really need to improve that taco with some good spicy chorizo and nice roasted crispy edged potatoes.  This was a taco I'd expect to be offered at IHOP.   In the barbacoa, the lamb was moist and tender, there was plenty of meat, but the toppings added very little zing or texture.  The al pastor was the best of the group but that's only because the little cubes of pineapple added some brightness to the taco; the meat was cooked well and again a generous portion.   $13 and change for the meal.

I'll try them again in a month or so when they've got their legs underneath them, but a very decidedly Meh meal tonight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think they have the legs under them now. Went to the Falls Church location and enjoyed everything. For freshness, Ahi Tuna and Blacked Salmon are good choices. For picky 13 year olds, smash-burger taco. For all around messiness, barria. My husband might have altered this one taking off cheese and putting on quac but I can't be sure.For fried: both the grouper and shrimp were fantastic but the oyster was a dud. The only dud overall. For value: Chicken/Pollo. That one cost the least and had the most stuff on it. I dinned in and doubt I would do take out b/c the hot/warm with the old slaw or guac or salsa served together is part of the magic I think. Was that 7? If yes, that's all we ordered. 

A note on size. These are pretty small. My husband had four, I had three and my son two (of the same). Son was not too hungry but my husband under-ordered for himself (2 at first) and had to reorder. He reordered during a the lunch rush and it still came out pretty quick.