DC Restaurant Week 2021 (Jan 25- Feb 7)

I know it's a bit late but I wanted to mention that the winter edition of DC's Restaurant Week is occurring now.   It was postponed by a week, and this year, many participating restaurants are offering To-Go options, which I really appreciate it.  Since I'm driving in to work these days and not taking long lunches with co-workers, my husband and I decided to try Supra's dinner menu last night.  It was $60 for 2, and you shared each of the dishes.  Neither of us had had Georgian food previously and we both enjoyed all of the dishes.  In particular, the walnut cake was delicious.  The meal was packaged well, with instructions on how to reheat each of the elements.    

• Like 2

I had very good RW take-out lunches at Rasika West End, and ChiKo. 

Both had easy online ordering, curbside pick-up, and were packaged well. 

Rasika is up-charging for the Palak Chaat, but I prefer their Sev Puri anyway. The Lamb Do Pyaza was delicious, and the only weak part was the dessert, an overly sweet Jaggery Rice Kheer. 

At ChiKo, they offer a snack/appetizer/entrée format, so I got some cold, chopped Sichuan veggies, their wonderful pork/kimchee pot stickers, and the spicy bulgogi stir fry, which I really enjoyed. There were these strange, pale, glutinous cylindrical thingies in the stir fry....don't know what they were exactly, but they were pretty tasty. 

Edit: Heard back from the restaurant...they're "korean rice cakes called “dduk.”

• Like 1

For week 2 we decided to try Baan Siam's menu.  From an ordering perspective, they get high kudos.  Easy to order, got a text when the food was ready and was able to do curbside pick-up. For our meal, we got the Pineapple Chicken Bites and Chicken Tapioca Dumplings as starters, Papaya curry with chicken and Shrimp stir-fried with spicy shrimp paste as our mains, Kanom Krok for dessert and the Frozen Lychee and White Lotus Slushy as our drinks.  The only disappointment was the chicken was overcooked, which was surprising as the shrimp was perfectly cooked.  The other elements in the papaya curry were very good though.  I was very curious about the dumplings as I always like to try new things that are intentionally gluten-free.  I really liked both the taste and the texture of these, and we both enjoyed them a bit more than the chicken bites.   The Kanom Krok was also new to the both of us, so we had to try a Thai dessert that wasn't mango and sticky rice.  These little balls of coconut enjoyment were a very good way to end our meal and we both really liked our drinks.  I avoided the soups and deep-fried menu options as I had a bit of a drive home but definitely would recommend the restaurant and look forward to trying more of their offerings in the future.

• Like 3

In some ways, it's hard to believe and in others it's not, but today I was in a motor vehicle for the first time in more than 11 months, the first time I've used any transportation that's not my feet in all that time. I had items to pick up curbside at the Nats' team store, so timed it as best I could to pick up pizza from All-Purpose across the street to bring home for dinner. The one place was closing as the other opened. It worked. We got two pizzas, one solo, and the other as part of a RW menu.

Both pizzas were excellent -- The Standard and Childish Bambino. We ate half of each so have the equivalent of one full pizza left for tomorrow. The appetizer from the RW menu was the Calabrian chicken wings with the pepper honey. I don't think I've had them before, though I've had the honey & pepper combination on the Buono pizza, which I'd considered getting before opting for the more basic Standard cheese. The wings were delicious and HUGE. We ate 4 of the 6 of them. (I'd figured we'd polish off 6 easy, but then I saw their size!) The dessert was a hazelnut brownie with cream and tiny chocolate (cookie?) balls, which was a good size for splitting.

It was a gorgeous day down there by the water. Lots of people were sitting outside at Salt Line as I went past to the host stand next door for my order. For a brief moment it seemed almost like a regular Happy Hour on a Friday.

• Like 2