Makan Malaysian by James Wozniak

So last summer, Makan had a couple of tables on the sidewalk.  Now Makan and others have pitched tents on the road.  Makan has I think 6 tables in the tent (fairly wind resistant) and gas heaters on the ground.

We went for brunch and had (i) chicken sate, (ii) Nasi Ganja (fried chicken, not pot), (iii) Char Kway Teow, and (iv) Roti Banjir.  Char Kway Teow, or chow fun in Cantonese, was pretty good.  The shrimps were tender and the noodles were flavorful.  The Roti, served under dhal, coconut curry, sambal and soft egg, was delicious.  The chicken sate was good but nothing exciting.  Lastly, the ganja was a little dry, but it came with lots of interesting side items.  

Definitely worth checking and the prices are very reasonable.  

• Like 4

My husband took me there for mother's day and we had the Mango Salad, Curry Noodle soup and beef rendang and the roti and Kaya pudding for desert. Food was really great! The mango salad was very spicy but tasted great with the beef. The Kaya pudding was delicious.

• Like 2

Char Kway Teow is good as usual.  Their sports bar (Thirsty Crow) serves chow fun - I wonder if it isn't exactly the same as Char Kway Teow.  Nothing else we ordered last night was all that great.  The Chinse pork jerky was interesting - it's pounded super thin and then served with sambal. It really doesn't resemble the semi-sweet pork jerky that I ate as a kid, and we definitely didn't dip pork jerky in hot sauce.  The spicy hakka noodles were made with instant noodles (not ramen, but ridged white flat noodles).  The noodles had no chew (I've seen them used in Chinese restaurants as well - result just as lame).  The ayam goreng (friend chicken) was nothing special.  The sambal udang petai had nicely cooked shrimps but the sauce was just kinda bland, neither sweet nor salty.  

• Like 2