Cracked Eggery - Egg Sandwiches and Tater Tots Opening in Cleveland Park and Shaw

Excited we'll have another brick & mortar space filled in CP and with a business that already has a following (that always have people waiting for sandwiches on Saturday morning), but I don't get this part of the article:

"A second fast-casual restaurant—open for lunch and dinner, though not 3 AM cravings—is slated for Cleveland Park this spring" - why would you not open a place known for egg breakfast sandwiches during breakfast time? Seems really odd. They do say that the restaurant menus may vary more so maybe it will be a slightly different concept.

I have never tried their stuff as I usually just make my own eggs, but I was intrigued by some of their menu choices - like which sandwiches come with scrambled vs. fried eggs. Anyone know if they'll customize and let you pick which type of egg for your sandwich?

Stopped by Cracked Eggery yesterday for breakfast to go. I enjoyed the Bubby - egg over hard, smoked salmon, everything spice cream cheese, caper tapenade on "challah" roll. The challah roll was rich and good but I put quotes as it seemed more like brioche - buttery rich. The sandwich was good and very filling. I'll have to try some more options in the future. Very friendly service and quick - only 5 min wait. This was my first time eating their food so per my comment above, I anticipated wrongly that the fried eggs would be more over easy to get that runny egg goodness. Granted that would be much messier to eat but I plan to ask next time if it was a option.

• Like 1

Grabbed lunch there today. Enjoyed the Rancheros Cucamunga bowl with fried egg (now more over easy - I wonder if last time I neglected to burst the yolk till too late and it hardened, this time I took a bite right away and it ran nicely), mashed black beans, avocado, lime crema, lime wedge, and slightly spicy ranchero sauce on top of a bed of fresh coin-shaped tater tots. I also got a side of tots to go. Went with standard salted for others who like it simple but I was originally inclined to get the garlic parmesan truffle or one of the other creative options.

2 small gripes though - they still have a bit of food truck mentality even though they are now a brick and mortar store: 1) I planned to eat outside at their sidewalk tables, so asked for a cup of water with my bowl. I was told no they don't do tap water but they sell drinks instead. The least expensive drink is a $2.50 kids drink or $3 for bottle water or sodas, etc. Just give people water if they ask. I don't know if they don't stock cups or what but seemed silly overall. So instead of staying I got my order to go and drank my delicious DC water at home. 2) I didn't experience this myself, but I have heard they are card only and do not accept cash. This is not good for those people who don't have cards which a lot of people in DC do not. Especially for a less expensive carryout-common place, they should be taking cash. I understand the restaurant pros for not handling cash, but it is an equity issue and illegal. It may be they are changing their practices after complaints.

• Like 1

Cracked Eggery Shaw is now open.

I've been to the CP location several times and have become a fan of The Bubby - Smoked salmon, fried egg, caper tapenade, cream cheese, everything seasoning.  And the cinammon sugar tots are weirdly delicious. 

• Like 1