Pets! So do you cook for them? Buy special things? Special snacks?

Torshi (pickle, has passed).  Pashmak (cotton candy, is my maltese going strong) and Alu (plum, is our maltipoo puppy.)  

My Pashi loves the Goat Gouda from TJ's- keep it limited just in case there is a lactose issue.

Avocado, apples.

My doggies free eat, but a friend with structured eat puts a bit of olive oil in the food.

Eggs?  I think eggs are great.

Just no Onion, Grapes, Choco-  I am sure to be missing some.

Pashi loves TJ's overnight oats.  Only give him a bit, because darn if that little guy is not dense!

On 3/22/2021 at 8:22 AM, Torshi said:

Just no Onion, Grapes, Choco-  I am sure to be missing some.

Also macadamia nuts in case you were thinking about feeding those to your dogs. I'm sure there are others we're both missing, too.

My dogs get 95% dry kibble (otherwise I'm afraid they'll get way too fat; one is already overweight) but they get little human food snacks and treats as well. One loves everything he's tried other than lettuce. The other (recently rescued, of unknown provenance) seems to have an issue with certain textures. Last night I gave him a small chunk of tomato and he let it drop out of his mouth. I'm pretty sure he's done this with other similarly textured foods as well.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, dracisk said:

Also macadamia nuts in case you were thinking about feeding those to your dogs. I'm sure there are others we're both missing, too.

My dogs get 95% dry kibble (otherwise I'm afraid they'll get way too fat; one is already overweight) but they get little human food snacks and treats as well. One loves everything he's tried other than lettuce. The other (recently rescued, of unknown provenance) seems to have an issue with certain textures. Last night I gave him a small chunk of tomato and he let it drop out of his mouth. I'm pretty sure he's done this with other similarly textured foods as well.

We are mostly dry kibble.  We have a puppy and older dog.  Been having treats of apple slices, avocado bits, goat gouda, over night oats from TJ's (but just a bit for older dog).  We always do it small.  Older boy might be 8 lbs and little around 4.  Happy doggies, but no upset tummies!

Might try some korean pumpkin.  Lots of vitamin A.  

Thanks for the note on the macadamia nuts.  They have never had them and with your advice there is no reason to try.  

Today was National Puppy day.  

I didn't know grapes were a big no-no for dogs and gave our current older dog some. I was standing at the sink washing grapes and tossed some into his mouth. Then a couple of weeks later I read to NEVER give dogs grapes. Luckily our dog had no adverse effects. From what I understand vets don't know what it is about grapes that harm dogs and some dogs are affected and some aren't. We were lucky with our dog, but obviously you wouldn't want to take a chance! You're supposed to rush your dog to the vet if he or she eats a grape. 😮

My dogs got some leftover over easy eggs today. 🍳 The older one is a lab-pit bill mix, about 10 years old and 70 pounds (at least 5 pounds overweight). The younger one is a beagle, about 7 years and 30 pounds. I caught the little guy eating poo in our backyard today. 🤮 That's not supposed to be part of his diet! 

• Haha 1

My dog Skippy is always very interested in what I'm eating. I tried to explain to him that clam chowder is not dog food. He still begs with his eyes. He really likes the fried noodles that come with Chinese take-out soup. He's very good at cleaning his dog food bowl. He gets a handful of high quality kibble and 3.5 ounce serving of meat with each meal. 

• Like 3

Mr Kitty (see profile pic), loved all food. He had some sort of IBS, so the poor kitty always swore he was deprived, being restricted to his special food. But before that developed, he so enjoyed people food. Cheese, chicken, chips, chicken, cookies, chicken,  turkey (also known as "big chicken." Thanksgiving was his favorite day of the year. He staked out the stove all day.) But we never cooked anything special for him.

Mehitabel didn't like any people food. Or wet food. Crunchies and crunchy treats ONLY. Except, she discovered sour cream. It was not safe to eat sour cream without sharing with her after that discovery. Also, melted vanilla ice cream. NOTHING else except her cat food and treats. Not even yogurt. When she got sick, we wanted to cook for her, but she wanted NOTHING to do with that!

Lamont and Margo, the little psychos, only like cat food also. Crunchy food, crunchy treats. But they LOVE wet food. Gooshy time is the only good time of the day in their twisted little minds. Although treat time comes close.

The porch girls (Yertle, Shelly, and Harlequin) like Purina Cat Chow (original flavor. And they are NOT happy about the change to mixed shapes and flavors. For the first year of that, they left the non-preferred bits in the bowl. How can ferals be picky?) They also like wet food. (Yertle is getting old and frail, so the boy started giving them gooshy food daily.)

Previous cats also all had their favored human foods, much more so than the current batch. But we have never cooked specifically for them. Just shared some human food as treats.

• Like 1

Sorry I went a bit dark.  My little doggies are going to town on SPK (pizza place on Macarthur) Brussel sprouts (hope they are okay or maybe they will just fart a lot 😉) and little bits of pizza crusts.  I work from the kitchen on an Ikea perch so I am a bit of a food machine to my doggies.  Have to work on the squash and more simple stuff.

Avocado sushi went over well (over ordered for my kids) , as did the Aracosia rice that came crashing to the kitchen floor from my COVID stuffed fridge.  

Going to get on the Spring holiday menu- so Sunday dinner/Monday they will have treats.

I think I gave the doggies a couple of teeny tiny tomatoes from TJs.  Tomato person- did you give bigger and how did it go?                                                           

Sometimes I cook an egg, do some veg.  Might pull off a bit of something I am cooking for very low/no lactose and no onion dog thing.  A simple nonstick small skillet is super handy- it makes a world of difference.  Plus, a silicone microwave steamer- not necessary, but very low on clean up. 

Btw, my two doggies are small (under 10 lbs) and one is a puppy (so tend to keep him on very simple things)- with bigger doggies this might be a much bigger and costly ordeal.  Maybe a treat.

Darn rain- puppy did his business inside.  Bleh.

Yes, human food is just a treat for my dogs. One is 70 pounds and one 30 pounds. I don't buy them dog treats per se. My daughter had scrambled eggs for breakfast this morning and left a little bit on her plate so I split it for the dogs.

I give the big dog the sliced off ends of large tomatoes sometimes. He'll eat just about anything (except lettuce).

Eggs are great!  Mine can eat (not a good idea)/shred paper towels.  You must have gourmet doggies!  Mine are little snackers.  

Any one knowing dog nono foods- please chime in.

That whole Suez canal stop up and the live stock have me pretty freaked out about what "meat" might be passed off.

Never, ever, feed your dog chocolate. I learned this the hard way. I accidentally left the door to the pantry slightly open and unfortunately I had some chocolate on a lower shelf. While I was at work my black lab got into the pantry and ate the chocolate. I found her dead in the backyard when I got home that day. This was 18 years ago, but I still carry the guilt with me. I subsequently learned from my vet that chocolate is very poisonous for dogs. 

• Sad 5
21 hours ago, LauraB said:

Never, ever, feed your dog chocolate. I learned this the hard way. I accidentally left the door to the pantry slightly open and unfortunately I had some chocolate on a lower shelf. While I was at work my black lab got into the pantry and ate the chocolate. I found her dead in the backyard when I got home that day. This was 18 years ago, but I still carry the guilt with me. I subsequently learned from my vet that chocolate is very poisonous for dogs. 

So sorry LauraB.  I am sure Labs can get into just about anything.  You did nothing wrong.  We try our best with our fur babies.  My kids do not get it that I go ballistic over small bottle tops left where the dogs can get them.  You never know what our doggies will do.  Hugs over doggie passed.      

• Like 2

Thank you, Torshi. I can tell you that a Lab’s tail can clear a coffee table. We have only cats now and I can tell you that one of them in particular is very good at tipping over water glasses. We had to buy acrylic glasses because the breakage with the glass was too much to deal with. 

10 hours ago, LauraB said:

We have only cats now and I can tell you that one of them in particular is very good at tipping over water glasses. We had to buy acrylic glasses because the breakage with the glass was too much to deal with. 

We have cats. While we can generally keep them away from glasses while we are around, we had one cat who enjoyed getting into our bedside water. We have sport-style water bottles for the bedroom now.

We had a dog-guest for fire pit night last week. He had broken into his person's grocery bag when she turned her back, and ate half a bar of dark chocolate before she could stop him. The vet said it was little enough that he didn't have to come in right away, and gave her instructions on what to watch for. So he had to be watched all night. He was pretty jittery. Also, didn't like fire. He seems to have recovered, after some gastric distress and jumpiness. (Normally, he would have stayed home.) Dogs WILL find what they are not supposed to eat. (for that matter, so will cats.)

• Like 2
On 4/8/2021 at 10:22 AM, LauraB said:

Thank you, Torshi. I can tell you that a Lab’s tail can clear a coffee table. We have only cats now and I can tell you that one of them in particular is very good at tipping over water glasses. We had to buy acrylic glasses because the breakage with the glass was too much to deal with. 

Plus, cleaning it up and wondering if you need shoes in house!  It is not elegant, but for casual we use short Bromolio glasses for wine.  Naughty kitty!  

• Like 1

This is embarrassing, but MrB and I are currently drinking wine out of coffee mugs while watching recordings of Bridgerton because of previously mentioned cat — I’m not going to risk my crystal wine glasses!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If we ever get to a point where we can have guests over again, we will definitely sequester him in another room. His sister, who is not a problem, will probably have to join him. 

On 4/10/2021 at 9:24 PM, LauraB said:

This is embarrassing, but MrB and I are currently drinking wine out of coffee mugs while watching recordings of Bridgerton because of previously mentioned cat — I’m not going to risk my crystal wine glasses!

I have Bormioli Rocco mini glasses (Amazon), not elegant but do the trick.  Better than a coffee mug!  Maybe check them out- there are a house staple for us. 

"they" ug!

On 3/23/2021 at 8:48 PM, dracisk said:

I didn't know grapes were a big no-no for dogs and gave our current older dog some. I was standing at the sink washing grapes and tossed some into his mouth. Then a couple of weeks later I read to NEVER give dogs grapes. Luckily our dog had no adverse effects. From what I understand vets don't know what it is about grapes that harm dogs and some dogs are affected and some aren't. We were lucky with our dog, but obviously you wouldn't want to take a chance! You're supposed to rush your dog to the vet if he or she eats a grape. 😮

My dogs got some leftover over easy eggs today. 🍳 The older one is a lab-pit bill mix, about 10 years old and 70 pounds (at least 5 pounds overweight). The younger one is a beagle, about 7 years and 30 pounds. I caught the little guy eating poo in our backyard today. 🤮 That's not supposed to be part of his diet! 

Ha ha about the poo!  Don't kiss your dog!

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, Torshi said:

I have Bormioli Rocco mini glasses (Amazon), not elegant but do the trick.  Better than a coffee mug!  Maybe check them out- there are a house staple for us. 

"they" ug!

Thanks for the tip, Torshi. I’ll look into it.

My dogs get a little greek yogurt treat every day when I make my breakfast. One gets the full fruit salad - plain yogurt, blueberries, bananas, apples, citrus, pineapple, strawberries - whatever is in the mix. That dog LOVES fruit, especially mango (but never the pit.) The other, newer (and senior) addition to the 'kennel' thinks it's all quite weird, but will enjoy some plain or flavored greek yogurt with a little squeeze of citrus. 

On what not to feed, we had a very scary incident with the fruit loving dog getting a chunk of onion when she was young, and had to give her hydrogen peroxide to make her vomit. She lapped up the few tablespoons, but ASPCA/animal poison control had recommended a little peanut butter in the bowl. It worked quickly and she was ok, but a friend's dog died from eating an onion (something in the onions breaks down the red blood cells and can cause organ failure but you might not know until the damage is too far along). We always keep peroxide in the house now - and anything in the onion family out of reach.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, lizzie said:

On what not to feed, we had a very scary incident with the fruit loving dog getting a chunk of onion when she was young, and had to give her hydrogen peroxide to make her vomit. She lapped up the few tablespoons, but ASPCA/animal poison control had recommended a little peanut butter in the bowl. It worked quickly and she was ok, but a friend's dog died from eating an onion (something in the onions breaks down the red blood cells and can cause organ failure but you might not know until the damage is too far along). We always keep peroxide in the house now - and anything in the onion family out of reach.

Wow, good to know about onions. I vaguely knew they were bad for dogs, but I didn't know they were that dangerous.

• Sad 1
10 hours ago, dracisk said:

Wow, good to know about onions. I vaguely knew they were bad for dogs, but I didn't know they were that dangerous.

My dogs are under 10 lbs so I even check for onion powder, but the badness might be broken down by then.   Grapes can lead to renal failure.  

I have to find it again, but my boys have been loving Krinos Greek Caviar spread.  I just ran out and have to find it again.  The boys are little so I cut down Pep Farms thin white bread and give it in bits. (BTW, that bread is great for adult caviar).  Those with bigger dogs might some other options.  My servings are tiny, but it might be tasty enough to a big dog.

17 hours ago, dracisk said:

Cats too. They are hemolytic.

We didn't know this when I was a kid. And the cat loved tuna, but ONLY with mayo and onions. So he got little tastes of it. Luckily, he survived. However, I bet he had some damage. Every time he had tuna, he got laryngitis. Nothing sounds worse than a Siamese with laryngitis.

• Sad 1

We lost one of the porch cats today - Yertle was 17, and had gotten very frail. It was clearly time. This is the worst part of being an animal servant.

• Sad 2
On 6/9/2021 at 9:49 PM, saf said:

We lost one of the porch cats today - Yertle was 17, and had gotten very frail. It was clearly time. This is the worst part of being an animal servant.

So sorry, saf. It’s really heart-wrenching to lose a pet. 

We’ve had quite a few pets (cats and dogs) over the decades. When they passed on, either through illness or old-age, we had them cremated and then we would keep the containers with their ashes in a closet. After awhile we realized we had to do something about that. So, one day we got the idea to mix all of their ashes together and take them to the National Arboretum and spread them on a hillside overlooking a stream. We figured it was organic matter, so shouldn’t be harmful. No doubt this was illegal, but it made us feel a whole lot better. 

• Thanks 1