Bammy's chefs Chris Morgan and Gerald Addison

Morgan and Addison were the former chefs at Maydan.  For some reason, they thought they could do some research and just open a Caribbean restaurant.  

That restaurant happens to be Bammy's, located between Osteria Morini and Agua 301, in the space formerly occupied by Whaley's.

Twas a Sunday afternoon after a Nats game, so the area is pretty crowded.  And many people were just there for drinks.  They have a dinner menu and a game day menu.  They were serving both - I was gonna leave if they were only serving the game day menu.

We started with Pimento Fried Chicken and Mac Pie.  The chicken was boneless and mildly spicy.  I don't like boneless chicken.  The mac 'n cheese was loaded with black pepper.  One kid liked the chicken and detested the mac 'n cheese, the other was vice versa.  I wouldn't bother with either.

Next was Goat Curry, Shrimp Curry, Chana and Cole Slaw.  The curries scorched my kids' taste buds.  This was really annoying.  Neither was labeled as spicy and I've had curries all over the Caribbean and they're not generally spicy.  At least I enjoyed the shrimp curry, very tender and coconutty.  Nothing else warranted a revisit.

With Peter Prime (fomerly of Spark and Cane) now at Bammy's, I was eager to go back.  Unfortunately the experience was not fantastic.

We ordered (i) saltfish fritters, (ii) grilled oxtail, (iii) doubles, (iv) jerk chicken wings, and (v) collards with coconut milk.  They didn't ask and we didn't request the dishes be coursed out, so everything arrived at the same time.  The fritters were hot but nothing else was...so some dishes were just sitting around in the back.  

The wings were truly terrible - we tasted nothing but cloves and cinnamon.  The doubles were also poorly executed - the fried dough was soggy and didn't hold up so they whole thing had to be eaten with knife and fork.  The collards were actually very good.  I haven't had collards cooked with coconut milk before and combination worked for me.  The saltfish fritters were good but definitely on the salty side.  The grilled oxtail was just one medium sized piece served with 2 pieces of fried bread.  So the cost of the oxtail is probably around $3 (or less) but they sold this app for $18.  I guess I'm still shocked by post pandemic pricing.

• Like 1