Pick up times- am I unreasonable?

ALB

I pre-ordered bagels to pick up for today, anticipating a mothers day crunch. When I arrived at said store, I checked in at the time appointed on the text confirming my order. It said arrive at 10:15. At 10:45, I asked an employee who said they were behind. At 11:05, I canceled my order when I called and the employee could not tell me when my bagels would be ready. At 11:30, I got a text my 10:15 order was ready.

Am I unreasonable to expect that my order (of a dozen bagels, no sandwiches) is ready in the era of my order time? Or to expect a text with a delay? I was very frustrated and had a car with a bag full of cream cheese and lox. I realize these are first world problems, and it was a holiday- but still.. shouldn't my order be filled for roughly the appointed time? I was order 13 for the day, they were on 340 when I gave up.

2 hours ago, ALB said:

I pre-ordered bagels to pick up for today, anticipating a mothers day crunch. When I arrived at said store, I checked in at the time appointed on the text confirming my order. It said arrive at 10:15. At 10:45, I asked an employee who said they were behind. At 11:05, I canceled my order when I called and the employee could not tell me when my bagels would be ready. At 11:30, I got a text my 10:15 order was ready.

Am I unreasonable to expect that my order (of a dozen bagels, no sandwiches) is ready in the era of my order time? Or to expect a text with a delay? I was very frustrated and had a car with a bag full of cream cheese and lox. I realize these are first world problems, and it was a holiday- but still.. shouldn't my order be filled for roughly the appointed time? I was order 13 for the day, they were on 340 when I gave up.

Were you unreasonable at being upset when your 10:15 AM order wasn't ready *an hour and fifteen minutes later?*

Nope!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Were you unreasonable at being upset when your 10:15 AM order wasn't ready *an hour and fifteen minutes later?*

Nope!

Thanks Don. I wanted to make sure I wasn't out of line before I call tomorrow to complain. (and make sure I get my refund!)

5 hours ago, ALB said:

Am I unreasonable to expect that my order (of a dozen bagels, no sandwiches) is ready in the era of my order time? 

Oh hell no.

• Like 1

This sure sounds very frustrating. I'd certainly complain and get a refund.

Is this a place you go to often enough to know if this is an aberration? If so, the holiday would go a long way to explaining it. I've found some business e-commerce sites work a lot better than others, even ones that use the same platforms. There is one shop I patronize because I like their food and have been trying to be supportive during the pandemic, and their e-commerce site is a hot mess. It looks fine, but they sell me items they don't have and tell me to pick things up at times when they're not available. I've several times had someone (who I think is the owner) tell me "I don't know why it says that" when I show up at a certain time I'm told to pick items up but they won't be available until later.

Another factor that seems to be affecting efficiency is that businesses are having a very hard time retaining employees and may be working shorthanded and/or with new people at a particularly inopportune time.

26 minutes ago, Pat said:

This sure sounds very frustrating. I'd certainly complain and get a refund.

Is this a place you go to often enough to know if this is an aberration? If so, the holiday would go a long way to explaining it. I've found some business e-commerce sites work a lot better than others, even ones that use the same platforms. There is one shop I patronize because I like their food and have been trying to be supportive during the pandemic, and their e-commerce site is a hot mess. It looks fine, but they sell me items they don't have and tell me to pick things up at times when they're not available. I've several times had someone (who I think is the owner) tell me "I don't know why it says that" when I show up at a certain time I'm told to pick items up but they won't be available until later.

Another factor that seems to be affecting efficiency is that businesses are having a very hard time retaining employees and may be working shorthanded and/or with new people at a particularly inopportune time.

They are newish to our area. Honestly, we'll be back.. because they have the only good bagels in Columbia (but it may be a while.) I hadn't considered it was a back end system issue, vs a poor system management issue. I was so bewildered that ordering ahead did not mean that my order would be at the top of the list for that time slot.

I was also frustrated because about 50 people were hanging in the small  restaurant waiting for their orders. This place was so good about covid safety when they opened, this was insane. I really feel for their staff (which I will also mention when I call.)

Update: I called yesterday. Somewhat got an apology, but then they hadn't done the refund because they LOST THE REFUND LIST! But they refunded my order once I called. I ended up getting bagels from Royal Bakery in Olney, near my parents. They were a mess last year, but by this point it was almost noon and the crowds had cleared out.

I wish they weren't the best bagels in the area, but I don't anticipate issues on non holidays I guess.

So long as they are better at bagels than they are at business, I guess it's worthwhile to keep patronizing them. That's what I decided about the place I was having issues with.

19 hours ago, Pat said:

So long as they are better at bagels than they are at business, I guess it's worthwhile to keep patronizing them. That's what I decided about the place I was having issues with.

Yeah agreed. and when you live in a less dense area for good options, that comes up each time there is an issue.