5 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

You’re sharing a 32 oz ribeye with the kids.  Would you pay $250 for 240 days aged vs. $160 for 90 days aged?  I’ve never had anything aged even 90 days.  Don’t have a clue what the difference would be.

Absolutely not, in my opinion. I've had a couple of longer-aged steaks (200+ days), and found the flavor a bit off putting. Kind of gamey and blue-cheesy, so not my jam. My kids definitely wouldn't be interested - but your palate, and your kids palates may vary.

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2021 at 5:19 PM, Keithstg said:

Absolutely not, in my opinion. I've had a couple of longer-aged steaks (200+ days), and found the flavor a bit off putting. Kind of gamey and blue-cheesy, so not my jam. My kids definitely wouldn't be interested - but your palate, and your kids palates may vary.

Yes, there comes a point where things start to go South. I’m not sure when it is, but 240 days seems incredibly long - if you *didn’t* get that blue-cheesy component in it, I’d say something was odd.

”The Science of Dry-Aging: The Ultimate Guide” on fullofsteak.com

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

Yes, there comes a point where things start to go South. I’m not sure when it is, but 240 days seems incredibly long - if you *didn’t* get that blue-cheesy component in it, I’d say something was odd.

”The Science of Dry-Aging: The Ultimate Guide” on fullofsteak.com

Agreed 100%. Bryan Flannery did a couple extended age primals for a wine board I post on a while bag and I think it was a 50/50 love hate ratio. Also had a 200 day plus aged delmonico at Bern’s that I wouldn’t repeat.

1 hour ago, Ericandblueboy said:

So dialing back.  60 vs 90 days aged?

I can't answer this - I don't know enough about the process (chemically), and depending on who is doing the (dry?) aging, my guess is that one place's 60 might be another place's 90. I've had "dry-aged beef" where I couldn't tell it was dry-aged. Hell, I had a Wagyu tri-tip the other week, and couldn't tell it was Wagyu.