Peking Pavilion, North Sycamore Street in Arlington

We’re continuing our hunt for Chinese take-out, and we may have a contender here. Still, not everything was good: the Spring Roll was mushy, the Fried Dumplings could have been fried longer, and the Jumbo Shrimp Imperial was a bit bland (although it contained quite a good number of shrimp!). On the other hand, the Crab Rangoon had a great taste to them, as did the Hot and Sour Soup. The General Tsos Chicken were nice chucks of meat in a tasty sauce and not overly breaded with unidentifiable crunchy pieces. Might be the best version I’ve had in the area! Lastly, we had them add Chicken to their Broccoli with Garlic Sauce, and it was a very tasty brown sauce with a bit of a kick. So, mostly hits, some misses, but showing enough promise that I’d like to go back and try additional menu items.

Also, a very friendly family running the joint, as I had a nice, brief conversation when picking up my food.

Another visit, including some new items, and another satisfying meal.

First, we ordered a lot of food:

• Fried Dumpling (6)
  • Crab Rangoon
  • Shrimp and Chive Dumpling
  • Hot and Sour Soup
  • Crunchy Noodles 
  • Vegetable Lo Mein
  • 002 General TSO's Chicken
  • 101-2 Peking Duck (half)
  • 404 Jumbo Shrimp Imperial
  • 609 Chicken and Broccoli in Garlic Sauce (not spicy)

and it was all thoughtfully packaged, and nothing was forgotten (which is a big deal considering our recent experiences at other establishments).

Second, there are some real standouts here, rivaling anything I've had in the area: Crab Rangoon, Shrimp and Chive Dumpling, Hot and Sour Soup, General Tsos, Chicken and Broccoli in Garlic Sauce. Stick to these, and you got yourself a great meal!

Third, there are some dishes that are very good (Peking Duck), if better elsewhere, and which could be very good (Jumbo Shrimp Imperial) with a little more flavoring.

Fourth, still some misses, but again, I'm looking forward to trying other dishes, particularly the Shrimp and Lobster Sauce (a favorite of mine that I grew up with in Massachusetts).

(I don't claim to be a sophisticated Chinese food eater so YMMV!).

13 hours ago, Dr. Delicious said:

Shrimp and Lobster Sauce (a favorite of mine that I grew up with in Massachusetts)

Is shrimp and lobster sauce a regional American Chinese dish? I grew up eating it in RI and I don't remember seeing it in the DMV.

14 minutes ago, dracisk said:

Is shrimp and lobster sauce a regional American Chinese dish? I grew up eating it in RI and I don't remember seeing it in the DMV.

I believe it is as I don’t recall ever seeing it around here either. I’m interested in trying their take on it.

• Like 1