Barcelona's finances are so messed up they can't resign Leo Messi because they can't clear enough room under the salary cap.  Rumors are Messi is joining PSG.  So earlier this year I finally cut the cord - got Sling with ESPN because ESPN just bought the rights to La Liga.  However, BeIN Sports has the rights to Ligue 1, which could soon have the best soccer player in the world.

Sufferin' succotash!

The whole situation with Messi is ironic.  I think Barca's mess started with Neymar leaving for PSG.  The reason Neymar left is because he didn't want to stay in Messi's shadow at Barca.  In order to replace Neymar, Bartomeu (Barca's then President) wasted Neymar's transfer fee and more on the likes of Coutinho, Dembele, and Griezeman.  Bartomeu also overpaid the salaries of many players, leaving Barca with over 1 billion euros of debt and salaries way over La Liga's cap.  So Barca cannot resign Messi.  In the mean time, Neymar hasn't won anything that mattered at PSG.  So Qatar is now going to give PSG's the funds to sign Messi to hopefully finally win the Champions League.  If PSG does in fact win, no doubt it's Messi and not Neymar who will get most of the glory.  So Neymar will never win the Ballon D'or.  So F U Neymar for screwing up Barca and forcing Messi to leave.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Messi has officially signed for PSG.  I love Leo but I cannot cheer for PSG, which is owned and funded by the Emir of Qatar.  

Furthermore, Dubai Air is owned by Cerithian Oil, which has left southern Nigeria in a shambles.

The English Premier League started off with a bang when tiny Brentford FC, newly promoted to the EPL, beat Arsenal 2-0 at home.  Brentford's new stadium holds 17,500, for comparison Arsenal's stadium seats 60,000.  This was Brentford's first game in the English top flight division since 1947.  After the game, old men were literally crying in the stands. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tweaked said:

The English Premier League started off with a bang when tiny Brentford FC, newly promoted to the EPL, beat Arsenal 2-0 at home.  Brentford's new stadium holds 17,500, for comparison Arsenal's stadium seats 60,000.  This was Brentford's first game in the English top flight division since 1947.  After the game, old men were literally crying in the stands. 

Because they're gunners fans?

Champions League draw.

GROUP A: Manchester City (England), Paris Saint-Germain (France), RB Leipzig (Germany), Club Brugge (Belgium).

GROUP B: Atletico Madrid (Spain), Liverpool (England), FC Porto (Portugal), AC Milan (Italy).

GROUP C Sporting CP (Portugal), Borussia Dortmund (Germany), Ajax (Netherlands), Besiktas (Turkey).

GROUP D Inter Milan (Italy), Real Madrid (Spain), Shakhtar Dontesk (Ukraine), FC Sheriff Tiraspol (Moldova).

GROUP E: Bayern Munich (Germany), Barcelona (Spain), Benfica (Portugal), Dynamo Kiev (Ukraine).

GROUP F: Villarreal (Spain), Manchester United (England), Atalanta (Italy), Young Boys (Switzerland).

GROUP G: Lille (France), Sevilla (Spain), FC Salzburg (Austria), Wolfsburg (Germany).

GROUP H: Chelsea (England), Juventus (Italy), Zenit St. Petersburg (Russia), Malmo (Sweden).

On 9/27/2021 at 12:29 PM, zgast said:

I will say that after watching Ted Lasso - I get it now.

So - the street where they film the outside of Ted's apartment, which looks like a cute Italian alley, actually has a very good Italian osteria - L'assaggino.  You can see the yellow sign in every scene in the street.  Good pastas and a really laid back, authentic atmosphere.  

Champions League knockout round begins:

Paris Saint-Germain v. Real Madrid  (15 Feb & 9 Mar)

Sporting CP v. Manchester City  (15 Feb & 9 Mar)

Red Bull Salzburg v. Bayern Munich (16 Feb & 8 Mar)

Inter Milan v. Liverpool  (16 Feb & 8 Mar)

Villarreal v. Juventus  (22 Feb & 16 Mar)

Chelsea v. Lille  (22 Feb & 16 Mar)

Atlético Madrid v. Manchester United  (23 Feb & 15 Mar)

Benfica v. Ajax  (23 Feb & 15 Mar)

Champions League quarterfinal draw:

Chelsea vs. Real Madrid

Manchester City vs. Atletico Madrid

Villarreal vs. Bayern Munich

Liverpool vs. Benfica

Champions League semifinal draw:

Manchester City or Atletico Madrid vs. Chelsea or Real Madrid

Liverpool or Benfica vs. Villarreal or Bayern Munich

After a resounding 5-1 thrashing of Panama last night the US Men's National Team is one game away from qualifying for the 2022 World Cup.  They travel to Costa Rica for the final game on Wednesdsy, where they have never won a World Cup qualifier. 

However, win, lose, or draw, the US can qualify, as long as they don't lose by 6 or more goals (goal dif being the first tiebreaker).  Needless to say after the USMNT failure at T&T in 2017 no one is taking anything for granted.  

Also, congrats to Canada for an excellent qualification campaign.  Their first WC appearance in 36 years (or some crazy number like that)

Oh I don't think that.

Benzema is pretty much the hottest striker on the planet right now.  And RM is riding the wave.  

Despite being stacked with players, both PSG and Chelsea don't have much fortitude.  RM took advantage of that during the second half of the PSG match and both Chelsea matches.  The RM v Chelsea matches were the matches of the tournament so far. 

I think RM v Liverpool will be a more wide open, entertaining final. City are boring.