Las Gemalas Taqueria & Cocina

Las Gemalas has two separate operations at Union Market, a fast casual counter (taqueria) and a sit-down restaurant.  

According to @Tyler Cowen, "The tacqueria is the best Mexican food this region ever has seen. Real blue corn tortillas, everything else authentic, could be mistaken for excellent real Mexican food in Mexico."

Since Hurricane Ida turned my New Orleans vacation into a working-staycation, I went by on Monday night to check it out.  I noted their website describes the tacos as served "on a pair of heirloom corn tortillas."

I ordered 2 tacos: carnitas ($4.5) and tongue & cheek ($4.75).  First, I only got one tortilla per taco.  A very good tortilla, and had I gotten two, I probably would've discarded one anyway.  Second, the tacos are small (the typical size in Mexico (about 5 inches in diameter) but the same taco in Mexico would've cost 75 cents to a dollar) - very much smaller compared to Taco Bamba.  Third, I love tongue and I didn't see nor taste any tongue in the tongue & cheek taco.  Fourth, the tacos were otherwise pretty tasty (but not necessarily better than all the taquerias in this area).  Heck, better tasting than some of the tacos Steve and I had at Pujol.

IMG_5467.jpg

• Like 1