St. Vincent Wine

My brother and SIL came to visit.  I made a reservation at St. Vincent Wine. On their website, it says "We do have a 100% ID check policy at the door, so make sure you and guests don’t forget your government issued IDs."  Never saw it - I just look at the menu to see if I like the food.  For whatever reason, my SIL decided not to bring her purse so she didn't have her ID on her.  They wouldn't let us eat there, even though we're all over 50 except for my kids, but accompanied minors don't need ID.  I asked whose policy was it, and the reply was the owner's policy.  It's not a bar.  They obviously let minors eat there.  So why the strict enforcement of ID for obviously overaged adults?  They said it's for covid tracing.  Well, we're all in the same family so that just sounds like stupid people enforcing stupid rules without any thought process.  Oh, they'll cancel my reservation without penalty!  I can't even believe they said that.  Maybe there's some justification that I haven't thought of....