Los Compañeros: Mexican by Ann Cashion and John Fulchino at their Adams Morgan Eat Place/Half Shell Location

The return of Ann Cashion and John Fulchino.  Opening mid-October-ish.

Washingtonian with the story

"Cashion’s menu at Los Compañeros will be more traditionally Mexican than Tex-Mex, though diners will find a few nods to the Austin Grill days—as well as Cashion’s, Johnny’s, and of course Taqueria Nacional, whose neon signs all line the wall. “In the spirit of the food there’s a connection,” says Cashion.

Diners can start with homemade salsa, guacamole, and a queso dip that Cashion’s been tweaking for decades. Street-style tacos are similar to those at Nacional, and come stuffed with fillings like carnitas or fish (there’s also a green-chili/egg taco by request). Other classics include ancho chile enchiladas, gulf shrimp quesadillas, Yucatan-style grilled chicken, and veggie-studded rice and beans. A crab cake Veracruz and gumbo-like seafood stew may placate the Johnny’s fans, but Cashion isn’t looking for comparisons—Los Compañeros is designed to be casual with a small, nimble menu that’ll allow room for specials (keep an eye out for Cashion’s chili this fall, topped with cheese, onions, and homemade crema)."

We sat at the bar last Friday. 3 of us. So happy to be here and to eat their cooking again. Also happy to see Kevin behind the bar and have some very tasty drinks. And got to say hi to Ann Cashion! (Our dining companion totally had a fan girl breakdown, but managed to save it until after our conversation.)

Sadly, too much cilantro, but there are enough things that I can eat that I had a good dinner. People, really, not EVERY Mexican food item has cilantro in it. And why can't anyone make me guacamole without the evil green?

Short kitchen hours, short menu, but everything we tried, both drinks and cocktails, was delicious, and the service was a lovely as ever.

• Like 4

Dinner here again Friday. And again, the food was good, the drinks were good, the service was good. The special tacos involved short ribs and had jus for dipping. Three of us ate those, while the fourth had crab cakes. Desserts were good too. Churros and flan both get multiple thumbs up.

(I just wish there was less cilantro. It really limits my choices.)

Oh, also, glad they were checking vaccination cards, even though the mandate hadn't started yet!

OK folks, if you want to eat here, head out. Tomorrow is the last day. 

Went over to Adams Morgan tonight to shoot some pool at Bedrock and eat at the bar at Los Campeneros tonight and discovered that tomorrow is the last night. We are sad because we love the staff and drinks here. 

• Like 1