SakuSaku Flakerie - Yuri Oberbillig's French-Japanese Bakery in Cleveland Park (3417 Connecticut Ave NW)

SakuSaku Flakerie has been quietly making a name for itself in Cleveland Park.  SakuSaku is housed in a small store front that is part of Al Volo with access to the old Firehook Italian Garden patio.  This weekend Eater DC ran an article bestowing "cult" bakery status.  I ran over Sunday morning to pick up some pastries, and there was a dozen people in line and then about 15 people in line when I left (which was occurring before the Eater article).  Also, this is a bit misleading because the store front in so small, they only let in one customer group at a time.  I waited about 15 minutes.  

I have found that it is best to order a pastry that contains a filling.  The plain croissant is so crispy and flakey that it practically shatters while the fillings hold it together.  The chocolate plus either pistachio or almond are both excellent.  This weekend we tried a pumpkin cream filled cruffin which was also excellent.

SakuSaku is run by husband wife team Yuri and Jason Oberbillig.    

• Like 3

On 10/12/2021 at 12:55 PM, Tweaked said:

SakuSaku Flakerie has been quietly making a name for itself in Cleveland Park.  SakuSaku is housed in a small store front that is part of Al Volo with access to the old Firehook Italian Garden patio.  This weekend Eater DC ran an article bestowing "cult" bakery status.  I ran over Sunday morning to pick up some pastries, and there was a dozen people in line and then about 15 people in line when I left (which was occurring before the Eater article).  Also, this is a bit misleading because the store front in so small, they only let in one customer group at a time.  I waited about 15 minutes.  

I have found that it is best to order a pastry that contains a filling.  The plain croissant is so crispy and flakey that it practically shatters while the fillings hold it together.  The chocolate plus either pistachio or almond are both excellent.  This weekend we tried a pumpkin cream filled cruffin which was also excellent.

SakuSaku is run by husband wife team Yuri and Jason Oberbillig.    

I agree. Often in mornings or weekends there is a bit of a wait, but it is solely to their one person storefront. The pastries I've had are mostly very good -especially the filled croissants. The cinnamon rolls have been less impressive. They also regularly switch up their baked goods. I recently saw brownie cookies and tried one of their tahini sesame cookies (an interesting swirl of black and white tahini for a buttery, sesame soft treat).

SakuSaku has moved to a permanent location at 4200 Wisconsin Avenue (Tenleytown area).  For now, they are still operating the store front location in Cleveland Park and have a pop-up location at the National Building Museum.  All their pastries are baked at the new location.  Coffee beans by Lost Sock Roasters.

Their matcha kouign-amann is really good. 

Washingtonian article

• Like 1