Bandit Taco (2 locations off U street&16th and Tenleytown) Fast Casual taco and other Mexican

I've been eating at the two different Bandit Taco locations for a few years. Both have good fresh food with lots of options. They serve their tacos Mexican style topped with diced radish and scallions and do a small double corn tortilla for most. A few vary like the baja fish that has shredded cabbage and flour tortillas. They have a long list of protein/veggies to add to tacos, burritos, rice bowls, plus now quesadilla and some tortas plus a bunch of options for sides. I've mostly had the tacos.

Today we had 5 different types of tacos and chips and salsa:

1. Adobo chicken which is chopped grilled chicken was a winner

2. Barbacoa was very tender and flavorful

3. Baja Fish were ok - the fried fish strip was pretty tiny and not a big flavor booster

4. Chicken Tinga - tender but bland. Better with some salsa added

5. Mushrooms (with some corn mixed in) - really bland, didn't seem like they seasoned the mushrooms at all and definitely not braised in anything flavorful. I would skip this one next time.

Chips were fresh and good and rather salty (which is good/bad depending on your preference). They came with a good size amount of very fresh pico de gallo. They were even better with the complimentary salsas they give you with the tacos. 1 is a green tomatillo with mild spice and bit chunky - good flavor. 2 is a roasted tomato medium spice which I was really feelin' today. It was great with the chips and good too added to the chicken tinga.

Not worth a special trip but definitely good eats if you are nearby either location.

• Like 2