Early Retirement

I've never been enamored with my job (as a tax lawyer).  During the pandemic, I've been (hardly) working from home.  I realized that I don't miss working at the office, or working at all.  I'm financially secure - so why not just quit cold turkey.  

I do have some questions for other quitters.

First, I need to buy a phone and a phone plan.  I've been using a firm phone and a firm plan.  I have a desktop PC but many Apple devices (iPads).  And I'm used to an iPhone so another iPhone is probably easiest choice.  I mostly use the phone as a hotspot for my iPads and we use lots of data (in the U.S. and abroad).  Google Fi seems to be the best plan.  Is anyone using Google Fi with an iPhone?

Second, I need a health plan.  I can COBRA but it may be cheaper to shop the marketplace for Obamacare?  Anyone else using Obamacare in VA and have thoughts on the available plans?  I currently have a high deductible plan with a health savings account.

Third, what' the most significant benefit for joining AARP?  

14 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

I've never been enamored with my job (as a tax lawyer).  During the pandemic, I've been (hardly) working from home.  I realized that I don't miss working at the office, or working at all.  I'm financially secure - so why not just quit cold turkey.  

I do have some questions for other quitters.

First, I need to buy a phone and a phone plan.  I've been using a firm phone and a firm plan.  I have a desktop PC but many Apple devices (iPads).  And I'm used to an iPhone so another iPhone is probably easiest choice.  I mostly use the phone as a hotspot for my iPads and we use lots of data (in the U.S. and abroad).  Google Fi seems to be the best plan.  Is anyone using Google Fi with an iPhone?

Second, I need a health plan.  I can COBRA but it may be cheaper to shop the marketplace for Obamacare?  Anyone else using Obamacare in VA and have thoughts on the available plans?  I currently have a high deductible plan with a health savings account.

I can probably help with the first (and a bit on the second).  

You travel a bunch, so GoogleFi is probably not best unless you want to buy sims whenever you travel.  It's only available in a handful of countries - and they're totally random ones, not major markets - and is quite expensive for calls when you do need to make them.  Switching sims is a huge pain in the ass with iPhone because it screws with your iMessage - think Marvel comics level discontinuities in your chats, Facetime, and phone records.  I've heard a lot of the expats in the UK extol the virtues of T-mobile, but no personal experience.  I used AT&T, which is absurdly expensive for international travel $10/day, but I could bill it back to work, and you pretty much just use your regular plan as if you were in the States.

COBRA is time limited - 18 months.  You'd need to switch eventually.  No experience with Obamacare plans in Virginia, but there are plenty like your current plan in the state I have looked at closely.  The rates will be entirely dependent on your age, sex, etc. so hard to generalize from one person to the next.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I have T-Mobile, it isn't amazing all over the US, like AT&T is they have better US coverage, this mainly applies to me when I go out in the boonies. But the international coverage more than makes up for it.

On the health insurance- have you looked at getting it through like the Virginia State Bar or Bar association where you are barred? I think they do that even for retired attorneys, may or may not be better than Obamacare.

On 11/3/2021 at 4:17 PM, ktmoomau said:

I have T-Mobile, it isn't amazing all over the US, like AT&T is they have better US coverage, this mainly applies to me when I go out in the boonies. But the international coverage more than makes up for it.

We also have T-Mobile, specifically for the international coverage. Happy with it.

If you are over 55, they have a very good senior deal. We got it as SOON as one of us turned 55. 2 lines, unlimited data, overseas coverage. Sign up for automatic payment, $70 a month. I don't know about their phone deals. We bought our phones through Apple.

AARP - again, we signed up as soon as one of us turned 50. Travel discounts are the major selling point for us. I understand they also have good deals on things like insurance. A friend has gotten lots of good advice on legal matters surrounding aging from them for free.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 2:16 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

The biggest benefit is that there’s no downside. It’s inexpensive, and quite often, the senior citizen rate (along with the AAA rate) are the least expensive hotel rates. 

I’m not sure about “cold turkey,” but I like your line of thinking!

• Like 1