Tabla, Georgian on Georgia Avenue

So a little over a week ago, on a Saturday evening, 3 of us headed down to Midlands. It was full with a line to get in as folks left! No.

So we went half a block down and sat down at the bar at Tabla. We had all been meaning to try it, but hadn't made it yet. We got delicious cocktails, then a red wine flight to try the Georgian wines. Had actual wine and Georgian beer with dinner.

I was a little nervous about the prevalence of cilantro in Georgian food, but was able to avoid it without too many issues.  For apps, the boy wanted to try Georgian-Spiced Fries(guda cheese dressing, fresh basil, ajika ketchup) which was a sort of a Georgian loaded fries thing and was absolutely delicious.  Then we got the 3 Khachapuri special, choosing one classic Ajaruli (oval, cheese and egg), one Pork & Pomegranate BBQ Imeruli (round) filling of pulled pork and Imeruli cheese with pomegranate bbq sauce and topped with purple cabbage slaw, and one Spinach & Artichoke Dip Ajaruli (oval) filled with cheesy spinach and artichoke dip. The first 2 were really outstanding. The 3rd was good, but the others were better.

For dessert, I had to try Churchkhela - traditional Georgian sweet of walnuts strung on a string and dipped like a candle in thickened grape juice. I have wanted to try it ever since I read "Anything Can Happen" and was enthralled by the description. I do not like it, and that made me sad. But my friend shared her chocolate truffles, and they were very good. They need more dessert. Still have to try the yogurt based dessert. It sounds good.

We will go back! (They also do takeout, and Midlands allows you to bring takeout in. I think the fries and the khachapuri will travel that half block well.)

• Like 3

Takeout to Midlands from here on Friday. 4 of us this time. So we got the 3 Khachapuri special again. One ajaruli, one pork and pomegranate, and one crab dip (For the others, who eat seafood.) Also, the delicious fries.

Consensus - it travels well. The fries are simply stellar. The ajaruli is the very best. The pork and pomegranate is good. The seafood eaters said the crab one was fine, but not worth getting again.

The 4th, who has not been with us the first time, declared the fries alone worth going for. The boy concurred. If we hadn't ordered one to share, he was ready to order one for his dinner.