St. James Modern Caribbean

This was supposed to be Peter Prime's fancier dig but he and his sister went separate ways.  Peter just signed up with Bammy's, and Jeanine Prime took over both Cane and St. James.  I was going to try this place out until I saw this on the website:

* A service fee is added to provide equitable wages and benefits to all of our staff.
Tips are also welcome and paid to servers.

I'm not sure what the service fee is (as a percentage of the check).   I'm less enthused about trying this place now - may not ever go.

Website.

5 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

This was supposed to be Peter Prime's fancier dig but he and his sister went separate ways.  Peter just signed up with Bammy's, and Jeanine Prime took over both Cane and St. James.  I was going to try this place out until I saw this on the website:

I'm not sure what the service fee is (as a percentage of the check).   I'm less enthused about trying this place now - may not ever go.

Website.

So is your problem with the service fee, or with not knowing what the service fee is?

2 hours ago, mtureck said:

So is your problem with the service fee, or with not knowing what the service fee is?

I would have an issue with not knowing what the fees are, and not knowing how they are distributed. Just add it to your prices, say no tipping. I'm good with that!

Living in the land of no tipping, I've grown to love this practice.  Back in the States, I've generally been a generous tipper within my means, but do have lingering concerns that the driver and primary recipient of the tip (service staff) is only one part of the equation of what makes a great meal.  I guess this is consistent with my opposition to the elimination of the tipped wage in DC - better to focus on equalizing service worker pay according to their skill sets.  Great servers (as salespeople, essentially) are likely to be paid more, but those toiling in the back deserve more than they get.

• Like 2