Toasters

bookluvingbabe

So... Mr. BLB worked from home today and when I casually asked him what he had eaten (mostly for inventory purposes) and he said "Half of an english muffin and we need a new toaster."

My adorable Kitchenaid Toaster (in Red) died a horrible death--something about one side being broken and not releasing the toast. He mentioned that he had been partially broken for a while. (He makes toasts a few times a week--I make it once a month, if that.)

Having gone for form over function last time, I'm concerned with function this time. We don't need a toaster oven. We probably don't need more than a 2 slice toaster. As cute as the toaster-egg poacher combo is, I'm not a big poached egg person.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Cuisinart.
Yeah, the four slice Cuisinart with the stainless steel body in a retro look is top rated by Consumer Reports and carried by Sams, Costco, BJs and other discount stores. Takes up a lot of counter space, but for toast mavens it's worth it.

Until recently, I had three kitchens (but believe me, I'm not rich), with a toaster in each. An old GE from the late 50s or early 60s by the look of it (bakelite and chrome, with a cloth-covered power cord, got it ten years ago at a retro shop on 18th St. that's not there any more), a newish DeLonghi, and a new Toastmaster (which is part of the Salton empire now). The Toastmaster was in the kitchen that I don't have any more, so I don't have it anymore. Anyway, the only advantage the newer toasters have over my old GE is that their slots are wide enough for bagels, but since I don't really like bagels much and never have them at home, that's meaningless. In all other respects, the old GE is a much better machine. It gets boths sides of each piece of bread evenly toasted (which the newer machines really suck at), and in about half the time that the newer machines take. And it's a comforting presence on the kitchen counter. I don't know where you could get one around town, but I'm sure eBay or other online sources would come through. I've never used one of the fancy-schmancy Dualits or other high-end toasters, but then why would anyone pay $300 for a f***ing toaster? I think I paid about $20 for the GE.

I, on the other hand, am looking for a new toaster oven-my stalwart little B& D toaster oven was set on fire last week by my 7 yr. old daughter, who was cooking a poptart. Yes, it sounds improbable, but combine a cookie dough pt, placed on top of tinfoil that her brother used to heat up garlic breadsticks, a disabled smoke alarm (when we burnt a bagel earlier that morning), & a mother who was not paying attention, led to a fiery denouement-I first tried to use a spatula to smash the flaming poptarts, then realized my plant mister was on the counter, so I used it to douse the flames. The fire melted the metal bar over the heating element, cracked the top of the oven, & several old letters & coupons on top caught fire. I now need to replace the toaster oven (which I find much more useful than a toaster, I generally use it to melt cheese on things), before my DH sees it & gives us all a stern lecture...Linda

Thanks for all the advice!

Mr. BLB spent quite a bit of time reading the Amazon reviews of the various Cuisinarts and decided we should just get another Kitchenaid...

We went to BBB which only carries Cuisinarts in store at the moment. No sale. Off to The Great Indoors which at 5:30 on a Tuesday night in light snow was remarkably empty. I think he fiddled with every toaster on display. (I wandered off to lust after blenders after a while.)

The ultimate verdict--the T-Fal Avente something or other in black. He liked that it had a release bar for the toast... We now have his and hers sides to the toaster as he likes his burnt and I really am only looking to warm the bread most days...

Jennifer