irregardless

I finally stopped by this newish restaurant and sat at the bar. I have not been trying new places in the past couple years, and this was a nice change of pace. 

A milk punch was light yet funky, made with banana infused rum, peppercorn mezcal and blood orange. This was very nice. 

Decided to try the gnocchi, made with Japanese purple sweet potato. It was tasty, mixed with beets for some crunch, garnished with almonds and a shaved ricotta salata. Not an entree portion, but I liked it  I had a fizzy rose with this that was also fun.

I’d come back to try the price fixe.

The bar scene was a bit refined. I suppose it does work as a wine bar as well with some small snacks, but expect the bar to be less neighborhood-y than Dio was. Feels it aspires to be a destination restaurant, which frankly H St NE could use nowadays.

• Like 5

On 12/17/2022 at 11:28 AM, Bart said:

I hate the name of this restaurant.  

But I guess it's better than "Supposibly" or "For All Intensive Purposes"

On 12/17/2022 at 11:39 AM, Ericandblueboy said:

Two lawyers came up with this name 🤮

I too have an aversion to this name.  The food is probably fine, but the name has pushed it far down on the list of places I want to try.

• Like 4

We walked into this place on Friday night. They have an online system where you can add yourself to the waitlist and be texted when your table is ready. Do not use this. We signed up for this, then popped into Bar Elena for a cocktail. I kept checking the waitlist, and it didn't change. After our drink I walked over to the restaurant and checked, and was told that we could be seated immediately. We sat at the bar, where you can order a la carte. It was, across the board, a good experience once we were seated. Service was good, pastas were good. It felt expensive, but I think everywhere is expensive these days. We'll be back. 

• Like 5

Very much agree with Mark on the latter part of his post (we didn't make a reservation for a Monday night and were immediately seated). Went in with no real expectations, and were pleasantly surprised at everything we ordered except for the short rib, which was bad. One weak dish out of six, with multiple other dishes being well above average. Still hate the name, but we'll be back for sure.

Edited to add: also, cocktails are $18...I get it, that's kind of the new normal, but in this economy? What am I, Rockefeller??

• Like 5
  • Haha 1