Stranded On A Desert Island

bennybig1

if this has been discussed before, just shoot me- I'm still a relative DR newbie. :lol:

But I figured there are so many serious foodies here that there should be some interesting answers.

My top 5 foods or meals if I was stranded on a desert island:

1) chili dogs from Yoccos with a side of pierogies (Allentown, PA) or Ben's Chili Bowl with chili/cheese fries-(DC)

2) Passion fruit ice cream from Bebo Trattoria

3) my choice of Belgian beers from Mannequin Pis or the Brickskeller

4) MD crab cakes from Kokos (a dive bar in Baltimore that doesn't look like it would have the best crab cakes in town, but it does).

5) Butterfish from Roy's Hawaiian.

now of course I've just thought of 100 other foods I love but I'll keep the list at 5, so for now, those get my vote.

In all seriousness, not sure if my list would look much different -- heavy on the baked goods. Maybe vote off the profiteroles and add some sourdough. And bacon. :lol:

This sounds amazing. Are they being served now? If so, I know where I need to go very soon . . .
I had the pumpkin-filled donuts at the end of November, so... ??? And they were served with a to-die-for butterscotch pudding.

My "Triple S" (Shrimp-Sausage-Sour cream) vodka pasta

My sausage, thick sliced pepperoni and ricotta pizza

Five Guy's bacon cheeseburger with sauteed onions, mushrooms, lettuce, tomato, pickles, ketchup, mustard, mayo

Ray's the Steaks house special

Mainland Inn's grilled fillet of beef with red wine sauce and roasted shallots

My top 5?

1. My dad's lamb curry. Rich, fragrant, with the meat falling apart and loaded with marrow-laden leg bones.

2. Anything ever cooked by my grandmother. No one has ever cooked better.

3. My bbq'd skirt steak salad. Soaked for a few hours in a spicy, lime drenched marinade, then cooked directly on natural hardwood charcoal. The steak is seared to the point of almost charred but still rare and juicy on the inside. Combined with fresh veggies, it makes for the perfect summer meal. And chased, of course, by lots of ice cold Sleeman ale.

4. The hot and sour soup from Chinatown in Toronto. For some reason, the H&S in the Toronto Chinatown is completely different from anywhere else I've had it. It's a deep red, thick soup with shrimp, roasted pork, and large chunks of shitaki mushrooms. Yue Tung on Dundas St has the best I've ever had.

5. Baby back ribs. I braise 'em in the oven, finish 'em on the grill with mesquite smoke, and reduce the braising liquid to create my own bbq sauce. Washed down with an icy bucket of Upper Canada Lager. Not to brag...but fuck yeah!!

Note that home cooked beats the pants off restaurant food in the long run.

1. Burrata from Dino.

2. Coney Dogs from National Coney Island in Detroit.

3. Komi's mascarpone-stuffed dates.

4. minibar's "Philly Cheese Steak" (cheese-filled cracker-ish tube topped with rare beef and sliced black truffle)

5. Pierogi by Mom.

I like cheese.

1. NY strip steak

2. Greasy, messy, RedHot-style buffalo wings and blue cheese dressing

3. Raw oysters (some of the real briny ones)

4. 16 oz. "tall boys" of Budweiser (there, I said it. remember that it is a desert island: I love me a cold Bud on a hot day).

5. Tie: Hamburger (R.F. O'Sullivan's in Somerville, MA) or most any pizza from a Long Island strip mall.

1. NY strip steak

2. Greasy, messy, RedHot-style buffalo wings and blue cheese dressing

3. Raw oysters (some of the real briny ones)

4. 16 oz. "tall boys" of Budweiser (there, I said it. remember that it is a desert island: I love me a cold Bud on a hot day).

5. Tie: Hamburger (R.F. O'Sullivan's in Somerville, MA) or most any pizza from a Long Island strip mall.

1)Ben's chili bowl chili dog at 3:00am

2)sticky buns from chinatown express

3)delerium tremens...a six pack

4)cafe piradiso pepperoni pie

5)Ribeye

But you're Asian too... c'mon... the she-crabs! *shakes head*

When I have mastered the ancient art of eating crabs in sauce by taking a whole bite, quietly making strange jaw contortions and closed-mouth sucking sounds, and miraculously spitting out only the exact amount of chewed, cleaned bits of shell and cartilage, then perhaps also she-crab. :lol:

When I have mastered the ancient art of eating crabs in sauce by taking a whole bite, quietly making strange jaw contortions and closed-mouth sucking sounds, and miraculously spitting out only the exact amount of chewed, cleaned bits of shell and cartilage, then perhaps also she-crab. :lol:

Never neglect the power of the chopstick! <poke>