Need Help For Group Meeting

Destruya

Alright, this group of online friends of mine want to take a stab at a fourth meet. Our first one was in Adams Morgan, and despite most of the group getting very drunk in a clumsy bar crawl up and down the area, we found out booze + walking didn't really mix well to the size group we had. Second one was at RFD, and wasn't bad - owing mostly to the fact that it was a nice night and we were able to procure a long (and relatively quiet) table on the patio. The third one was also at RFD, and weather made it imperative to sit inside, which exposed us to extremely loud noises and super-cramped conditions.

The most recent time was a meet at one of the guy's townhouses, and that went over well - damages were kept in the area of six digits (j/k).

Now it's time for #4. The requests are:

- ample provisions for becoming "jolly" (i.e. drunk)

- easy Metro access (within ~2-3 blocks max)

- semi-decent environment for socialization (i.e. someplace where it's not required to physically *yell* to converse with one another)

- contrary to my kidding above, we're looking for only a moderately-busy place

Thanks in advance.

The requests are:

- ample provisions for becoming "jolly" (i.e. drunk)

- easy Metro access (within ~2-3 blocks max)

- semi-decent environment for socialization (i.e. someplace where it's not required to physically *yell* to converse with one another)

- contrary to my kidding above, we're looking for only a moderately-busy place

It might help if we knew how many of you there are. Age range? Any real interest in the food, or mainly just drinking? Price range?

:lol: -->
QUOTE(Mrs. B @ Feb 1 2007, 08:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tabard Inn? I don't know your budget but they can arrange a private area for groups as small as 10 (I think).
I really want to like this place, but last time I was there with a very important group they failed hard on the meal. Food was done wrong more than once, wine service was terrible, it was just awful.

I'm sure to get some blowback on this, but I've always found the upstairs (ground-floor, not basement) room at Brickskellar to be a good place for gathering large groups of beer drinkers. Not cheap, but the variety of beers is a source of entertainment, as is picking a second- and third-choice beer when they are invariably out of your first. If you must eat, there are burgers.

apparently I'm an idiot- I know you didn't like the pub crawl in Adams Morgan, so get ye to the Reef and stay put. Roof deck for smokers, main level for when it's cold, ground floor if you want to be without much company when you drink. The beer is amazing, the liquor flows heavy, and buy your bartender a shot of Jameson or GM.

I'm gonna put Vidalia out there- they have a great happy hour (particularly for winos), with $7 glasses before 7, some cocktails, and wine tastings every weekday night. Plus free hors d'oeuvres, and a good apps menu. Very nice bar staff, accomodating to larger groups, and you'll be able to talk without screaming.

ETA: and with that I'm a grouper! :lol:

This question cannot be intelligently addressed until we know:

1) Number of people (4? 10? 30?)

2) If food matters (watering hole? gastro-pub? upscale lounge?)

3) Price range ($1 beers? $12 martinis?)

4) Your decibel level (quiet buzz talking about Thoreau? raging drunk screaming about Manning?)

This question cannot be intelligently addressed until we know:

1) Number of people (4? 10? 30?)

2) If food matters (watering hole? gastro-pub? upscale lounge?)

3) Price range ($1 beers? $12 martinis?)

4) Your decibel level (quiet buzz talking about Thoreau? raging drunk screaming about Manning?)

1) 10-15, max.

2) basic food, stuff to just help soak up the booze, mostly. (RFD's pierogies were a staple both times we were there)

3) Manageable price, not looking to hit up someplace glitzy like PX.

4) somewhere between waxing transcendental and raging lunacy.

Also, for now, it's assumed age range will all be over 21 as it has been three times out of four. Also, thanks for replying, Don - I was a little wary about posting one of these non-specific "help me" threads in a sea of reviews and discussions.

Dive-y--Solly's at 11th and U, a block from U St-Cardozo. Plenty of seating upstairs, a good vibe, and Ram's Pies!

Ditto on this, except make sure to check to see if they have a concert that night. Solly's has started doing shows upstairs on some weekend nights, and this means the noise level probably would not be acceptable. Of course, if you're early enough, you might be able to hang out upstairs before the show (if there is one) gets going.

Or, if it's more of a downtown-oriented crew, there's always the slew of crappy bars around farragut west: Mackey's, Rumors, Sign of the Whale, etc etc. None of them are particularly good, but they can handle the numbers and generally have bar food that is good at soaking up booze. Not sure how crowded they are on weekends, though. Or maybe the irish bar in the bottom of Jury's...Biddy Mulligan's?

It's really the "close to a metro" and "not terribly busy on a saturday night" requirements that are conflicting here.

It's really the "close to a metro" and "not terribly busy on a saturday night" requirements that are conflicting here.

Well, it's a given that pretty much everything is going to be busy on a Saturday night, we're just looking for a place where we'll be able to drink and converse. As mentioned above, a place like RFD doesn't provide that (unless you're sitting outside). So "busy" isn't a problem so long as it's not so obnoxiously noisy that the whole "social" goal of the meet is lost.

Dremo's has gotten some approval in our group's corresponding forum, but I'm definitely open to other suggestions. :lol:

Well, it's a given that pretty much everything is going to be busy on a Saturday night, we're just looking for a place where we'll be able to drink and converse. As mentioned above, a place like RFD doesn't provide that (unless you're sitting outside). So "busy" isn't a problem so long as it's not so obnoxiously noisy that the whole "social" goal of the meet is lost.

Dremo's has gotten some approval in our group's corresponding forum, but I'm definitely open to other suggestions. :lol:

Here's my problem with Dremo's- they don't clean their tap lines. Their beer tastes terrible as a result. Like i said, you can be inside, have really nice conversation, hear eachother on the ground floor of the Reef in Adams Morgan, have great beer and liquor, attentive staff, and the burger there is awesome.